GSXS 1000 Forum banner

Cheap effective shock upgrade for 750 and 1000

39K views 144 replies 28 participants last post by  GSXS-NH 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been looking around for an effective rear shock upgrade for a friends GSXS750 and I've come across what I think is an ideal upgrade that will suit both the GSXS750 and the GSXS1000

There will be more details after full testing, the shock is shorter than stock but with the same travel and I am producing adaptors made by CNC milling of billet 7075 Aluminium Alloy

The top mount is exactly the same as the stock mount.

The first adaptors will be for the GSXS750 followed by adaptors for the GSXS1000

For more details

This shock was described by MCN as ” The suspension has been revised internally and is arguably the best mass-produced stuff on any current production bike”

This upgraded shock has

• Adjustable preload, with 12 stops instead of 7
  • Adjustable rebound
  • Adjustable Fast compression
  • Adjustable slow compression
  • Separate Nitrogen reservoir
  • Same travel as GSXS750 and GSXS1000
  • Exactly the same top mount as 750 and 1000 stock shocks
  • Reservoir fits with no modifications
  • Similar spring rate to stock, nut many spring rates easily available

The shock is plentiful and cheaply available, barely used on Ebay

See less See more
#6 ·
Paul:

When you get the 1000 version out, tested and are happy with it - put me on the list of wanting one (assuming you will be selling them).

Working my way through a long list of upgrades / modification this winter; so timing could not be better

It will be near May1; when hopefully the snow is gone & I can actually ride.
So you have lots of time........... :)

Thx.
Peter

#14 ·
I like what you're doing here Paul but I warn you to be careful selling billet aluminum adapters for structural components in a motorcycle. Something like this needs competent FEM structural analysis. I happen to do that for a living and I can offer you my help. Either way, make sure it is very strong in all types of loading.

#15 ·
Thanks for the warning.

The guy designing them for me has all sorts of CAD software, some that can simulate loads in different directions too. That was one reason we decided to go with 7075 instead of 6061 alloy ss its twice as strong although much more expensive.

Already spent a while trying to work out what the max loadibgs on the adaptor will be. My university degree was a lot of mechanical and structural engineering so been using formulea i thought I had forgotton years ago.

And I'm 100% sure that my part isn't the weakest part of the rear shock 🙂

#17 ·
750 Shock fits well and rides nicely - just waiting for some correct size billets of 7075 Alloy to make some more (current one was made of 6061 Alloy so its all been quite low stress testing so far)

The 1000 is not going as well, a design change has been called for as on the test fitting the reservoir on the shock interferes with the rear subframe by a few mm, so we went back to the drawing board and are now using a 1015+R1 shock (This is male at both ends, like the GSXS1000) and the adaptor will fit at the top of the shock (a little like the R1 mounting itself)
This allows the shock to drop a further down meaning no interference with the subframe/reservoir but also making the adjusters much easier to get to

Updates (with pics) to come

#18 ·
I have fitted a 2016 R1 shock to mine, the reservoir hits the swing arm on large bumps if the shock is set on the softer side. Plus the way I fabricated mine, it raised the back by approximately 11mm. The turn is a lot quicker because of that but it transformed the bike with the new shock. I’m interested in seeing how yours works and if it will keep the factory geometry.

#22 ·
The adaptor is designed to keep the geometry the same as stock as the adaptor makes the R1 shock exactly the same length as the stock shock (although the R1 shock is adjustable for length so you can raise/lower the bike by approx +/-10mm)

I forgot to take photos before the first ones went for powder coating but theses are the CAD pics

#19 · (Edited)
This just arrived today. R1 Shock from a 2108 Yamaha with less than 10 miles on it - pristine condition for $150.00 off eBay.

Not to rush Paul (well maybe a little bit of a rush); I anxiously await his mod / adapter so I can throw this on my 1000f.
Hoping the mod / adapter will be finished and he can pack them with my headers when he ships them.

Still have well over a meter of snow (3 plus feet) in my yard, so not planning on getting out anytime too soon.

#29 ·
NO modifications to the GSXS at all (except for unbolting a shock and putting a new one in)

I did this originally for a friendss 750 as there are almost no aftermarket shocks available for the 750, then realised that I could do it for the 1000 with none of the hacking around I had to do to fit my GSXR Ohlins to my bike

#30 ·
Hey Paul, the stock suspension eyelet is not exactly centered at the top mount - the bolt holds it against the left side of the mount leaving a small gap to the right side of the mount. So, as long as your adapter is of the same width as the stock shock eyelet, it should be good. Otherwise the shock might get mounted at a small angle vs stock setup. Hope you have considered it in your design. Just wanted to call out something I found during my experiments with the rear shock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.