17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 11-10-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Questions about stock shock.

I ordered a service manual, but it hasn't arrived--that might have my basic shock answers.

And I'm thinking I'm surely not the first person to wonder about these things,
but I also figure the answers might be enlightening.

Anyway, by chance is the spring on the stock shock removable?
If so, it would be a cheaper option to replace it with something less stiff for the lighter folks, no? Cheaper than a new shock.

And I am guessing the stock shock is not otherwise rebuildable? And by rebuildable, I mean modifiable by RaceTech or Cogent?

It bothers me a bit that for both the Bandit 1200 and the SV650, one could easily find used/cheap shock upgrades from the Busa & GSXR models, but this GSXS doesn't have such a cheap option. What's up with that? Could someone that is hip to other the shocks on other Suzuki models please elaborate on why the GSXS is such a difficult bike for which to find a suitable shock swap. Does it look like Suzuki HAD to make it difficult or was it just a lot easier for them to make thrifty people miserable? Ha, ha.

Thank you.
post #2 of 28 Old 11-10-2019, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
The stock spring was correct for my weight. The issue with the stock shock is the lack of any compression damping adjustability . It's set incredibly hard and there's nothing you can do with it.
frog4aday likes this.

When life throws you curves, lean into them.
post #3 of 28 Old 11-10-2019, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Garage
Yes, you can swap out the spring for a progressive one, there is a thread on here about it. He was happy with the difference. The R1 shock works great if you don’t mind cutting the support under the seat and buying a smaller battery. Tuono shock bolts in too but not near as good of a shock as the R1 and no cutting is required.
frog4aday likes this.

Slow is fast

post #4 of 28 Old 11-10-2019, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbatim View Post
...on why the GSXS is such a difficult bike for which to find a suitable shock swap.
Pure economics. The bike doesn't sell well, so not a lot of aftermarket support. Having said that, there are some really good options.

"...And miles to go before I sleep."

Shock swap video/howto: https://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/suspe...r-install.html
post #5 of 28 Old 11-11-2019, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Beeza62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packmule View Post
Yes, you can swap out the spring for a progressive one, there is a thread on here about it. He was happy with the difference. The R1 shock works great if you donít mind cutting the support under the seat and buying a smaller battery. Tuono shock bolts in too but not near as good of a shock as the R1 and no cutting is required.
As Iíve said before I put in an R1 shock and did not cut anything or use a smaller battery!😤🤬🤯
post #6 of 28 Old 11-11-2019, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeza62 View Post
As Iíve said before I put in an R1 shock and did not cut anything or use a smaller battery!😤🤬🤯
In doing so you have to make plates, then raising the rear of the bike because the shock is longer than stock. I was the first one to do it that way. If you want to keep the stock geometry you need to cut the support. The r1 shock has adjustment for length, all the way out is about the same as our stock shock. With a 55 series tire bang on it.

Slow is fast
post #7 of 28 Old 11-12-2019, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Beeza62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packmule View Post
In doing so you have to make plates, then raising the rear of the bike because the shock is longer than stock. I was the first one to do it that way. If you want to keep the stock geometry you need to cut the support. The r1 shock has adjustment for length, all the way out is about the same as our stock shock. With a 55 series tire bang on it.
Yes it raises the rear about 10mm, Iím only 5í 6Ē and about 12 stone and have no problems with the geometry!
post #8 of 28 Old 11-14-2019, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
You can take out ALL the spring pre-load in your stock shock and it is still going to feel too stiff at times because the spring is not the issue. The shock has too much high-speed compression dampening and that is not adjustable. The shock works okay until you hit sharp bumps and the shock has to react quickly. Under those circumstances, it doesn't feel like a shock ABSORBER at all...more like a shock TRANSFERER.

You can try an R1 shock or Tuono shock as described above (model years that would work would help you guys!) but you would be better off getting a replacement shock that is built specifically for this bike. You can get one for as low as $480 (Wilbers type 540 Road shock). See attached pic.

https://www.wilbers-shop.de/en/Motor...ur=3&year=2016

They will ask you questions about your weight and riding style when you order so they can match the shock to you. Keep in mind that when I ordered, they were asking for weight in KILOGRAMS so I had to find an online calculator to convert POUNDS to KILOGRAMS and get the form filled in correctly.

Use the money you were going to spend on a LAP (loud-azz pipe) and get the shock absorber instead. You'll be happy you did. Besides, this bike is already pretty 'throaty' for a factory machine. That surprised me. Kinda cool, really.
mike d likes this.
post #9 of 28 Old 11-14-2019, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog4aday View Post
You can take out ALL the spring pre-load in your stock shock and it is still going to feel too stiff at times because the spring is not the issue. The shock has too much high-speed compression dampening and that is not adjustable. The shock works okay until you hit sharp bumps and the shock has to react quickly. Under those circumstances, it doesn't feel like a shock ABSORBER at all...more like a shock TRANSFERER.

You can try an R1 shock or Tuono shock as described above (model years that would work would help you guys!) but you would be better off getting a replacement shock that is built specifically for this bike. You can get one for as low as $480 (Wilbers type 540 Road shock). See attached pic.

https://www.wilbers-shop.de/en/Motor...ur=3&year=2016

They will ask you questions about your weight and riding style when you order so they can match the shock to you. Keep in mind that when I ordered, they were asking for weight in KILOGRAMS so I had to find an online calculator to convert POUNDS to KILOGRAMS and get the form filled in correctly.

Use the money you were going to spend on a LAP (loud-azz pipe) and get the shock absorber instead. You'll be happy you did. Besides, this bike is already pretty 'throaty' for a factory machine. That surprised me. Kinda cool, really.
I agree that the stock shock issue isn't the spring. The shock does not respond to high speed hits, even on the lowest compression damping setting. I went with a K-Tech (same spring rate as stock) which is more money than the Wilbers but more adjustable too.. I don't know whether the K-Tech is worth the added expense over the Wilbers, but I know both are worth the cost of upgrading from stock. My spine thanks me on every ride.
scrub975, gsxsdave and frog4aday like this.
post #10 of 28 Old 11-15-2019, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
K-Tech is a great shock! Didn't mean to imply otherwise by omission. If a guy can afford to spend more, they'll get more by picking up a shock with more adjustments available. Wilbers also has two other shocks with more adjustments available (for more money.) I was just trying to point the guy toward the least expensive "fix" for the problem. I just wish Suzuki had left the rear setup to match the old GSX-Rs so we could be buying those old shocks for cheap to use as replacements.
mike d likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page