GSXS 1000 Forum banner

Traxxion AK20 preload and compression damping adjustment.

7K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Jorider61 
#1 ·
Received my forks back from Traxxion with the AK20s installed by them.
They are still off the bike.

The preload adjuster and compression (top) adjuster look odd to me.
The large outer piece with lines looks as if it is not meant to move, so I don't know how the lines are useful. Otherwise it would almost look like the OEM preload adjuster.

If I am to adjust the giant allen for preload, do we know the size so I can order a proper socket?

And then there is the large allen bolt in the center. I would think that would
alter preload. But then, is the setting a matter of counting turns? If so, that would be odd. It would be better if it adjusted compression damping.

And then there is a little red cylindrical fitting in the recess of the allen bolt. But it does not seem to take an allen wrench, so it would seem it can't move and therefore I have to wonder about its purpose.

In summary, these are odd looking, I'm completely lost, and I would appreciate an explanation of what to do with them. I did not see any hints on the Traxxion website.

There is a photo here, poke the right thumbnail:

https://traxxion.com/product/cartridge-kit-ak20bmw-f800gs/

Thank you.

See less See more
#9 ·
OK to answer your question the large Allen bolt in the center is for preload adjustment. The small screw in the center is for rebound adjustment just like your standard fork caps would work. Compression is still adjusted at the lower fork where it has always been done on this bike. I only know about the caps because I had a set of achy 20s in my gold wing and that’s the caps that were on my bike.

#11 · (Edited)
Pretty sure that nothing you have just said applies. Preload and rebound are adjusted from the top of the fork while compression is adjusted at the bottom of each leg on the GSX.Even with the AK20s from Traxxion.

#15 ·
The AK-20 is one of the best modifications I ever put on any motorcycle.Traxxion is great if you have any questions they will help you out. I was confused like you were when I first got it in stalled but I had a tech go over every thing over the phone. I thought that lil red bolt was round.

#16 ·
I heard from Traxxion this morning even though I had waved them off yesterday
after getting the information here.

He said the fork caps were designed with racebikes in mind, especially ones that crash.
Having the adjustments deeply recessed in the fork caps keep them functional after the
bikes tumble. Too, the special tool for the fork cap is probably cheaper than ones
for other fancy designs. About $15 to $20 depending upon fanciness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.