25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 10-10-2018, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
This is a cruiser, right?

Okay, so maybe not so serious with that title but can you cruise on this? Silly question, right? I tour often and I've been eyeballing one of these bikes for the longest time. I think they are just plain sharp and I love the new 2018 white color scheme. I just had a local dealer give me a really super nice trade offer to get a 2018 F, trading for my best motorcycle I've ever owned in my life (best among probably 25 or 30 bikes, I lose count), a KTM 950 Supermoto. Why would I trade the best motorcycle I've ever owned and loved for the last 24k miles in the last 2 years? Well, the bike is now getting to be 35k miles old and I'm getting to a place where I would like a little bit of fairing and also a decent bit better power to fuel economy. I recently completed a 3300 mile trip to Colorado and back. My KTM averaged about 32mpg and has a range of about 110-130 before the light. I've toured EXTENSIVELY on my KTM and loved it. But I felt like I half lived at gas stations on that trip. And after those 24k fantastic miles, the KTM has averaged about 31mpg. I'm starting to feel like maybe it's time to change. I'm attracted to the GSF for things folks on here will probably think are ridiculous or funny. I love that it's a bedrock proven platform and straight up boring in terms of issues. I love that it cranks out that much power and still manages 40mpg or more. I love that it seems on paper almost like an old man's sport bike. LOL.

Back on topic, one of many, many things I love about my KTM is it is a truly Jekyl and Hyde bike. It is happy to putter around and do the boring duties, and then rips nicely when called upon otherwise. It will troll along peacefully in the scenery, allowing you to soak in the ride, and then literally eat twisties when you get to them. I've owned some mega powered bikes before. My formerly 2nd gen modified FZ1 comes to mind. After mods it turned about 135 plus HP. That bike WAS NOT happy to cruise. It was constantly and forever begging you to go faster and faster. Riding it at slow speeds was not a joy. You did not enjoy the scenery. You did not take the whole of it in. In fact, I sold it in less than 2 weeks when I realized I was only riding it to go out and find places where I could go fast upon it. We all do that a little, right? But when a bike is not a joy to ride doing anything but that, then I know that bike is not for me.

So I ask, can the GSX cruise?
post #2 of 26 Old 10-10-2018, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Garage
One thing I really love about this bike is it's laid back personality. It's like "You wanna cruise around town and get some food? We got this, no problem man. You wanna shred pavement and tires, twist that thing and let's freaking go! Whatever you want to do, we'll do it, just set the grip where you want it.

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
post #3 of 26 Old 10-10-2018, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
The GSXS-1000 is really a great all around bike! In my opinion it is happy commuting in stop and go traffic, great on curvy mountain roads, and great when you feel like being a hooligan! Cheeks are tired from smiling every time I get done riding! Don’t think you would have any regrets! And you will definitely have alot better fuel range!
CtrlU and Bpreynolds like this.

post #4 of 26 Old 10-10-2018, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Garage
I can't compare it to the KTM, but it is a hoot to ride in every situation, and pretty much a Jekyl and Hyde as far as being as relaxed as I want it to be, and scaring the begeezus out of myself at will too.

I'm getting about 48 mpg commuting, and I get higher than that on longer trips with fewer stops (> 50mpg). It's a 4.5 gallon tank (not sure what the KTM is) so best to have < 200 miles between planned fuel stops. As far as cruising goes, it depends what you mean. The GSXS loved to be revved and has fairly close gearing all the way to 6th, but you can hit 80+ in 1st, and it doesn't mind being at higher RPMs. It's actually more fun to ride that way. ... but it is NOT a cruiser. It has good torque throughout with a slight flat spot between 4-5K, but I actually spend time between 4-5K on my commute and it does just fine. Take one for a ride if you have the opportunity. I think you will love it.
CtrlU and Bpreynolds like this.
post #5 of 26 Old 10-10-2018, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I'd say if you can cruise on a KTM 950 you can cruise on a GSX S, although I've failed miserably at cruising in the first 1000 miles or so of ownership...it's too moreish to take it up the revs! From a purely technical stand point the engine is great for anything....better than most sports bike engines for mid range, meaning it's good to go up the gears early and still have plenty of go in 6th if needed, riding around at 3-4k rpm all the time....you don't NEED to take it up and over 10k...

However is there anywhere you can test ride one first for an hour? Your question might be a yes for some and a no for others, it's a very personal thing I'd say.

I did own a ktm 990 sm-t from new for 25K miles / 2 yrs so I know the mpg issue but also the versatility of the bike. The riding style of the KTM never got old...out of all the bikes I've had I miss it the most tbh. Is there not a way you can keep the 950 too that's one special bike mate!
Bpreynolds likes this.

Last edited by Kaivalagi; 10-11-2018 at 01:29 AM.
post #6 of 26 Old 10-10-2018, 11:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
I also have a 2018 white F, three months old and 1835 miles so far, fuel economy average since Day 1 is 45.4 mpg. The sum total of changes from stock were a Throttle Tamer and I backed off 2 notches on the compression damping on the fork and 1/4 turn softer on the rear shock damping. Those tweaks made it a perfect all-arounder for me. It's my daily commuter and my weekend day-tripper.

One thing though, if you're intent on touring -- apparently not much thought was given to luggage accommodations on this bike from the factory. I'm sure you could make a bagger out of it somehow, I just wouldn't know exactly where to start.
Bpreynolds likes this.
post #7 of 26 Old 10-10-2018, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjackbob View Post
One thing though, if you're intent on touring -- apparently not much thought was given to luggage accommodations on this bike from the factory. I'm sure you could make a bagger out of it somehow, I just wouldn't know exactly where to start.

post #8 of 26 Old 10-11-2018, 01:23 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaivalagi View Post
I did own a ktm 990 sm-t from new for 25K years
Slower and Slower likes this.

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
post #9 of 26 Old 10-11-2018, 01:29 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerjasen View Post
Lol, corrected
gixxerjasen likes this.
post #10 of 26 Old 10-11-2018, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
Yarp, I've got luggage on it, Hepco&Becker. Makes a nice platform for strapping extra baggage on the passenger seat. If you can pack light, you can tour far on her. Only complaint for long trips is the seat. But if you wanna tear it up she's ready to go. But don't expect to go far on one tank of gas, it's a motorcycle, twice the fuel economy of a car with a fourth the fuel capacity only gets you half as far.

And it's not a cruiser.
Bpreynolds likes this.

2016 GSXS1000FAL6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page