GSXS 1000 Forum banner

Fuel consumption

10K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Rellamax309 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I've had my gsx s1000f for around a month now and I had noticed it was doing 48 mpg when I picked it up. Since then I have done 2/3 good runs on the bike and have noticed it now averages 55.3 mpg which I think is brilliant. 🖐

I don't know if this is the norm for this bike but my old z1000sx only averaged 45 mpg so a massive improvement. 👍

Cheers Phil

#5 ·
My 750 on a full tank to flashing indicator did 300 KM with 13 L to refill it. That comes out at 4.4L per 100KM, and the gauge said average was 4.6
American's can Goggle for it, but everyone else will understand my figures.
Crikey, I am pleased with such good economy, but it does show how lean it is running down low.

G'Day Cobber's
Rob.

#6 ·
Crikey, I am pleased with such good economy, but it does show how lean it is running down low.
Running lean at light throttle is not a bad thing per se. It is true that a lean mix runs hotter, but that isn't a problem at light throttle because the quantity of fuel being burned is so small that the amount of heat being produced is well within the ability of the cooling system to dissipate.

#7 ·
Other than pulling the plugs, how can you tell it's running too lean?
Rode 200 miles yesterday and tried to stay off the WOT take offs and it got almost 53mpg with mixed riding.

I'm convinced that if I babied it, I could get 55mpg. Not that I would ever be able to ride it like that.

I do still have my 02 sensor enabled. Dano said it was mostly due to the timing (advanced/retarded can't remember which).

#8 ·
Pre-Woolich Flash 49 MPG (imperial). Same 49MPG for first 1000 miles and for next +/- 1000 after running in. Flashed at 1975 miles. Now at Just under 5000 miles. After Flash 41MPG. Partly this is increased fuel in the map and partly that I wind it on earlier and harder from slower speeds where the standard fuelling is at it's worst. I'll sacrifice fuel efficiency for ride-ability any day.

#10 ·
Did a 185 KM run so far on the 750 yesterday and today, mountains and flats, curves and straights, and average is 4.1 L per 100 KM. Still showing about 3/4 of the fuel bars as full.
That translates as 57 US MPG, and 68 of Her Majesties' best Imperial Gallons. No wonder they recommend changing the expensive spark plugs 3 or 4 more times often on a bike than a car.
The porcelain around the inner electrode must be very hot. Hate to think of the cylinder walls eating some of that stuff if it cracked off.

Rob.