User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-17-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What seat do you use?

Just interested in finding out what others are doing for seat mods.

If you are running something other than Saddleman or Corbin, would you mind telling us what you've done and possibly who did it?

Thanks to Oldjackbob who gave a great write-up in another thread on his own seat mod, complete with pictures.
Maybe he could repost that info here.

Thanks to Moleeye for listing Greatdaytoride.com as an option. Prices seem very reasonable with this guy.

Has anybody used Seth Laam for a seat workover?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

2016 GSXS1000F
2007 Honda VTX 1800F3
post #2 of 4 Old 08-17-2019, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
Subscribed. Great thread idea.

I tried the Saddlemen GP-V1 but didn't like how sticky the cover material was. In hindsight I should have just reupholstered it with different material. Now back to the stock saddle and have been inspired by oldjackbob's DIY modification.

(Edit to add a link oldjackbob's write-up...)

https://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/391642-post45.html

"...And miles to go before I sleep."

Shock swap video/howto: https://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/suspe...r-install.html

Last edited by lost; 08-18-2019 at 10:20 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-17-2019, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Garage
I'm fairly light (150 lbs) and I've either replaced or modded seats on 4 of my previous bikes, but... I haven't done anything yet to the GSX stock seat. It's better than all of my other stock seats and I haven't felt the need (yet). I've only done rides < 300 miles, so definitely no Iron Butt endeavors. If I was doing more longer rides I might feel differently. I do "have a guy" here in S.L.C. that I've used before to mod seats (V-Strom) and he does good work. At this point, I wouldn't know what to tell him to do to improve the stock seat for me. Maybe slightly firmer foam and less convex?

post #4 of 4 Old 08-17-2019, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
I weigh 255lbs (115kg) and find the stock seat feels fine at first, but within 45 minutes, I'm 'aware' of it. After an hour, its getting uncomfortable. Not horrible, but a distraction. I got the Saddlemen GP-V1 and I liked the riding position and feel of it better than the stock seat, but the foam was too soft, so it only bought me about 15 to 20 more minutes compared to the stock seat. But I liked the 'ergonomics' of it better than the stock seat.

So I ordered a Corbin and it had too much forward 'slope', which slid me into the gas tank, over and over again. Totally unacceptable. One ride and I was on the phone to them. They are going to try a re-work it to fix the problem. 4 to 5 weeks of wait and I have to pay to ship it back. Not cheap. But at least the 'first' adjustment is 'no cost' (other than shipping it back.) What's irritating is at least two other people on this forum have gotten Corbin seats and didn't have the same problem, so did someone at the Corbin factory not follow the build instructions right? I have no idea. We'll see how it goes with the 're-work'.

The Corbin has the best foam (closed cell foam) and the best cover (leather.) The Saddleman had the best 'ergonomics', but needed better foam. The stock seat (for me) feels good at first, then the foam collapses and it gets uncomfortable. If I was a lighter guy, I think it would be fine as it seems to be working for Mike D and several others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page