GSXS 1000 Forum banner

Full Suspension setup.

6K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  mike d 
#1 ·
Have any of you guys had the full suspension setup, or just opted for the rear Suspension. I thought I was quite happy with the factory Suspension until I noticed quite a few bikes have had the rear shock changed but it all seems very expensive.

I have been invited for a Suspension setup at my local garage for around £36. I should notice a difference with just the basic setup, but after seeing one bike which as had the full works I'm wondering if it would be worth the extra cost as like I said the suspension seems fine to me. 🤔 So are any of you guys thinking or have already had it done.

Cheers Phil. 👍

#3 ·
Checking the setup - sag especially, couldn't hurt and is a lot cheaper than new stuff, especially if you are already happy. I did my rear shock because I'm 150lbs and it was literally painful to my back on high speed bumps. The shop that replaced my shock also did a thorough adjustment front and rear for sag and settings for my weight. I don't track or race the bike, but I do ride twisties on the weekends and I'm totally fine with both ends of the suspension now.

#11 ·
For the OP, it may depend on your weight a bit. Like the OP, I was initially opposed to
expense, but (at 140 lbs, 64 kg) I measured front end sag and found it to be just 27 mm
with preload backed out all the way, a bit past the 5 visible line setting.
There's that and the jarring ride on actual bumpy roads.
It is fine on smooth roads at speed, of course.

Mike d, may I ask your GSXS's front sag measurement and preload setting?

#5 ·
I had looked for a rear replacement but couldn't find one. The Suspension guy I use said the stock rear was all inclusive so couldn't even manipulate the valving so it is all stock with some clean oil. I did have him increase the spring rate in the front with all new oil (I am between 200lb and 220lb) and that felt better. I like a little bit stiffer on the front to avoid dive on the brakes.

For Track I would definitely try to find something for the back, but for street it is good enough. As said I would suggest setting sag, then start playing with the Compression and Rebound to see what you like and don't like. I need to do this on a trackday to learn how the changes feel to me on the bike.

#6 ·
I bought my Wilbers 641 through a German retailer on ebay (bikers-top-brands) during one of ebay's 15% coupon sales. Paid around $650 I think which is quite a bit cheaper than what I think they usually go for. If you follow sale aggregator sites like slickdeals, you can set up a deal alert for "Ebay coupon" or the like and be notified when there's a sale.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

#8 ·
If you're happy with the stock setup then leave it alone. I'm a big guy and the suspension felt rather stiff, if I was in a curve and I hit a bump it put the bike off it's line. To me that's a no no so I did the front and rear and now it works perfect, it cost big $$$ that doubt I could recoup if I sold the bike today. But even with all the suspension work this bike will never handle as good as my Tuono.

#9 ·
The thing is that the gsxs isn’t a stripped down sports bike like the Tuono. $$$$
I was going to get the 1100 at one stage but changed my mind to go with Japanese reliability
and better fuel consumption plus I’m not a fan of all the nanny electronics.
What I found with my bike was that I had to hold counter steering in when in a corner I couldn’t
Just dive into a corner and the bike would hold its line and yes like your
Saying on bumpy corners it’s like pucker fest.lol...
Now since doing the suspension plus new tyres the bike is great and it gives me a lot more confidence.
I look at it like this if your planing on getting a new gsxs and factor in the suspension and ecu flash you will need to
purchase the bike minus the cost of upgrades.
Have to put the squeeze on the dealer:D

#12 ·
<SNIPPED STUFF> I have been invited for a Suspension setup at my local garage for around £36. <SNIPPED STUFF> The suspension seems fine to me. <SNIPPED STUFF> Cheers Phil.
Hey Phil,
First things first - if the suspension seems fine to you, as is, then save yourself the £36 and just be happy.

The back end only allows adjustment for PRELOAD and REBOUND. Not much to be done there unless you are much heavier or much lighter than the average rider. What the rear shock really needs is a COMPRESSION adjustment, but the stock shock doesn't have that, so you won't get much improvement from that end of the bike no matter what the local garage does.

The front has more adjustment, but YOU can tune it yourself if you feel the need. Does the bike 'wallow' on the road? You need to go 1/4 turn stiffer on the rebound adjustment. Does your bike feel really stiff when you hit bumps? Then you need to go 1/4 turn softer on the compression adjustment. Does the front end dive excessively when you apply the brakes? Then add more preload (a line or two). It's all pretty easy. But if the bike feels 'fine' to you...leave it alone and save your money. Use the £36 for gas and food and have a fun day out somewhere.

#16 ·
Phil,
If you're not happy with what you get for the £36 or you are looking for more afterwards, you are always welcome to take a spin down to Bristol in the spring and have a go on mine.
Fully adjustable rear shock and only a spring/oil upgrade in the front (13 stone rider) but it should give you a good idea of what you get for your money....unless you weigh 26 stone and then i'd be happier you tried someone elses;)

#18 ·
Better yet, watch a couple of YouTube tutorials on suspension setup and educate yourself. There is nothing a suspension "professional" can adjust that you can't do yourself.

The basic principles of setting sag and adjusting damping will also carry over to any bikes you will own in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.