10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 01-15-2020, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
KAK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Prospective buyer. Few questions please.

Hello. First post here. I've got some questions, please.
I'm comparing the 2020 GSX-S1000F to the 2020 Kawasaki 1000SX. I still haven't seen either in person, let alone sit on one. Taking awhile for the new bikes to get to southern Utah.
I'd like to start light-touring more. 2-4 days max. I'm about 5'10" and a 30" inseam.
By photo's, the Suzuki's bars are higher than the Kawasaki's, which I prefer. The Suzuki doesn't have cruise control like the Kawasaki has. How light is the Suzuki's throttle? Does your hand get sore after a few hours? Have you had good results if you used the typical throttle locks that clamp onto the grip?
How is the Suzuki's seat?
How is the wind and vibration at highway speeds?
What kind of MPG are you getting on longer rides?
At 70 MPH, what is the RPM's?
Is there a center stand available?
If the bike is trailered, can straps be attached to the tail area or do you have to attach somewhere around the passenger pegs?
I appreciate any help.
post #2 of 23 Old 01-15-2020, 05:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAK View Post
Hello. First post here. I've got some questions, please.
I'm comparing the 2020 GSX-S1000F to the 2020 Kawasaki 1000SX. I still haven't seen either in person, let alone sit on one. Taking awhile for the new bikes to get to southern Utah.
I'd like to start light-touring more. 2-4 days max. I'm about 5'10" and a 30" inseam.
By photo's, the Suzuki's bars are higher than the Kawasaki's, which I prefer. The Suzuki doesn't have cruise control like the Kawasaki has. How light is the Suzuki's throttle? Does your hand get sore after a few hours? Have you had good results if you used the typical throttle locks that clamp onto the grip?
How is the Suzuki's seat?
How is the wind and vibration at highway speeds?
What kind of MPG are you getting on longer rides?
At 70 MPH, what is the RPM's?
Is there a center stand available?
If the bike is trailered, can straps be attached to the tail area or do you have to attach somewhere around the passenger pegs?
I appreciate any help.
Kawasaki.
It satisfies everything you're looking for.
And i hate every Kawasaki i've ever seen.
Still a better bike for your purposes.
gixxerjasen likes this.

When life throws you curves, lean into them.
post #3 of 23 Old 01-15-2020, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
It is a no brainer....without trying the Kawi, it is too new. You would want the Kawasaki by what you are asking. It would be more 'civilized' and refined. You are comparing and newly heavily redone bike, to a bike has been around almost 5 years w/out any major change.

The Kawi is more of a sport-tourer, the Suzzy even 5 years ago was based on an older racer.

Last edited by hugojose; 01-15-2020 at 06:05 AM.

post #4 of 23 Old 01-15-2020, 07:43 AM
lud

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
if its touring ,its the kwak

Last edited by lud; 01-15-2020 at 10:00 AM. Reason: spelling
post #5 of 23 Old 01-15-2020, 09:54 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Answering as a 30k miles owner of a GSXS1000F, all sorts of riding including euro tours.

comparing the 2020 GSX-S1000F to the 2020 Kawasaki 1000SX.
I'd like to start light-touring more. 2-4 days max. I'm about 5'10" and a 30" inseam. Suzuki has lower seat and is much lighter, more sports bike than tourer.
By photo's, the Suzuki's bars are higher than the Kawasaki's, which I prefer. no comment?
The Suzuki doesn't have cruise control like the Kawasaki has. true- not difficult holding speed but I would like cruise
How light is the Suzuki's throttle? not heavy at all
Does your hand get sore after a few hours? No
Have you had good results if you used the typical throttle locks that clamp onto the grip? never tried
How is the Suzuki's seat? - Good for 300-450 mile days with stops for petrol only
How is the wind and vibration at highway speeds? 70-90mph cruise, very smooth, udgraded to a double bubble screen
What kind of MPG are you getting on longer rides? 45 to 60 ukmpg - regularly cover 150-200 miles per tank
At 70 MPH, what is the RPM's? have a look at gearing commander - think its about 16mph/1k so 80 is 5k, 70 about 4.6k
Is there a center stand available? not seen one
If the bike is trailered, can straps be attached to the tail area or do you have to attach somewhere around the passenger pegs? through pillion pegs or over the seat.

Both bikes are good, I tried the Kwak and found it somewhat dull, choosing the angry bird for its sharper performance albeit at the cost of touring capability.

Ride both and make your choice
oldjackbob likes this.
post #6 of 23 Old 01-15-2020, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Garage
I think the F model with a decent shield and a custom aftermarket seat, combined with some soft bags would make an excellent light touring bike. The seat would be a definite requirement for me because it starts to get uncomfortable after about a hundred miles and drops off from there. That's my experience as I own both a GSX-S (Naked) and a Yamaha FJR. I think if I had to replace both with just one bike, the F could do the job very well with the stated modifications.

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
post #7 of 23 Old 01-16-2020, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
KAK

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the replies. You guys seem to lean toward the Kawasaki. I'm not sure why you say it's better suited to touring. In reviews I've found on the Kawasaki, it's pretty unanimous it's more "sport" than touring. I like that it has cruise control but some of the other electronic stuff I'd rather do without. One potential issue is I've read the bike is geared very low. Hard to believe on a 1000, but I've read two comments that at an actual 58 mph, in top gear, it's spinning at 5,000 rpm's. So it could be about 6,000 rpm's at 70 mph? Maybe with wind noise, it's not that noticeable? My '79 GS1000 cruises at 70 mph at 4,200 rpm's.
As for comparing a "5 year old" bike to a "new" bike, the Ninja 1000 has been out for several years. For 2020 it appears Kaw' wants to make it more into touring but it's bars are at least 2 inches lower and it has the low gearing and that might equal considerably lower mpg's and more vibration.
Without being able to see the bikes in person yet, I'm just trying to get some solid information about the Suzuki from actual owners. I'm not sure if the 2020 Suzuki's motor and gearing is the same as the '17/'18/or '19's.
Any help on my questions is appreciated.
post #8 of 23 Old 01-16-2020, 04:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAK View Post
I'm not sure why you say it's better suited to touring.
The Kawasaki has genuine aftermarket large panniers and top box available.
Factory cruise control.
Comes standard with a comfort seat (although i have no idea if it's any good)
Has far better tyres than the Suzuki. Bridgestone S22 vs Dunlop "Ice skate specials".

You could certainly turn the Suzuki into a decent tourer, but you don't have to even try with the Kawasaki.

I'd still buy the Suzuki because it's a ridiculously capable machine... and Kawasaki's are shite.
frog4aday likes this.

When life throws you curves, lean into them.
post #9 of 23 Old 01-16-2020, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
I looked at the Kawa Ninja 1000SX at the local dealer recently. It's a nice touring package but if I remember it was about 50 lbs heavier than the F and the seat did seem more comfortable. Overall a nice package however I didn't ride one. I will say my 2016F has spoiled me as far as the handling is concerned and not sure how Suzuki does it but it feels very light to throw around and to wheel around the garage. I also have a 2006 Triumph Sprint ST which weighs the same but feels much heavier. To make it a bit more over the road friendly I went 1T higher on the countershaft and installed a Hyperpro progressive spring on the rear. I also had Dano reflash the ECU to smooth out the throttls and take about half the engine brake out.
Love the gearbox in the Suzuki...can't imagine any one makes a better one!
I would say if a high percentage of your riding is touring possibly the 1000SX might be the best choice.
frog4aday likes this.
post #10 of 23 Old 01-16-2020, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Garage
Both good bikes. The lower bars on the Kawi would probably not be ideal, but that's an easy fix. I don't have a real problem with the stock seat on the GSXS, but I will admit, on a 200-300 mile day, the stops are needed.
I get about 48-51 mpg just commuting. on long rides with highway/freeway stretches I can get close to 60 mpg (if I'm adhering to the speed limit). I think the GSX gearing is going to be closer to the Kawi than your GS, but I'm used to that. The GSX-S handles great at freeway speeds and feels very stable, even with wind. I have a small aftermarket shield that is the same size as stock. I'm 5'10" and my head is in the wind, but my torso is protected. I actually prefer that to a higher shield and potential helmet buffeting, ... or an insanely huge shield.
steampunk#230 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page