GSXS 1000 Forum banner

Prospective buyer. Few questions please.

8K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  frog4aday 
#1 ·
Hello. First post here. I've got some questions, please.
I'm comparing the 2020 GSX-S1000F to the 2020 Kawasaki 1000SX. I still haven't seen either in person, let alone sit on one. Taking awhile for the new bikes to get to southern Utah.
I'd like to start light-touring more. 2-4 days max. I'm about 5'10" and a 30" inseam.
By photo's, the Suzuki's bars are higher than the Kawasaki's, which I prefer. The Suzuki doesn't have cruise control like the Kawasaki has. How light is the Suzuki's throttle? Does your hand get sore after a few hours? Have you had good results if you used the typical throttle locks that clamp onto the grip?
How is the Suzuki's seat?
How is the wind and vibration at highway speeds?
What kind of MPG are you getting on longer rides?
At 70 MPH, what is the RPM's?
Is there a center stand available?
If the bike is trailered, can straps be attached to the tail area or do you have to attach somewhere around the passenger pegs?
I appreciate any help.

#3 · (Edited)
It is a no brainer....without trying the Kawi, it is too new. You would want the Kawasaki by what you are asking. It would be more 'civilized' and refined. You are comparing and newly heavily redone bike, to a bike has been around almost 5 years w/out any major change.

The Kawi is more of a sport-tourer, the Suzzy even 5 years ago was based on an older racer.

#5 ·
Answering as a 30k miles owner of a GSXS1000F, all sorts of riding including euro tours.

comparing the 2020 GSX-S1000F to the 2020 Kawasaki 1000SX.
I'd like to start light-touring more. 2-4 days max. I'm about 5'10" and a 30" inseam. Suzuki has lower seat and is much lighter, more sports bike than tourer.
By photo's, the Suzuki's bars are higher than the Kawasaki's, which I prefer. no comment?
The Suzuki doesn't have cruise control like the Kawasaki has. true- not difficult holding speed but I would like cruise
How light is the Suzuki's throttle? not heavy at all
Does your hand get sore after a few hours? No
Have you had good results if you used the typical throttle locks that clamp onto the grip? never tried
How is the Suzuki's seat? - Good for 300-450 mile days with stops for petrol only
How is the wind and vibration at highway speeds? 70-90mph cruise, very smooth, udgraded to a double bubble screen
What kind of MPG are you getting on longer rides? 45 to 60 ukmpg - regularly cover 150-200 miles per tank
At 70 MPH, what is the RPM's? have a look at gearing commander - think its about 16mph/1k so 80 is 5k, 70 about 4.6k
Is there a center stand available? not seen one
If the bike is trailered, can straps be attached to the tail area or do you have to attach somewhere around the passenger pegs? through pillion pegs or over the seat.

Both bikes are good, I tried the Kwak and found it somewhat dull, choosing the angry bird for its sharper performance albeit at the cost of touring capability.

Ride both and make your choice

Reactions: oldjackbob
#6 ·
I think the F model with a decent shield and a custom aftermarket seat, combined with some soft bags would make an excellent light touring bike. The seat would be a definite requirement for me because it starts to get uncomfortable after about a hundred miles and drops off from there. That's my experience as I own both a GSX-S (Naked) and a Yamaha FJR. I think if I had to replace both with just one bike, the F could do the job very well with the stated modifications.

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies. You guys seem to lean toward the Kawasaki. I'm not sure why you say it's better suited to touring. In reviews I've found on the Kawasaki, it's pretty unanimous it's more "sport" than touring. I like that it has cruise control but some of the other electronic stuff I'd rather do without. One potential issue is I've read the bike is geared very low. Hard to believe on a 1000, but I've read two comments that at an actual 58 mph, in top gear, it's spinning at 5,000 rpm's. So it could be about 6,000 rpm's at 70 mph? Maybe with wind noise, it's not that noticeable? My '79 GS1000 cruises at 70 mph at 4,200 rpm's.
As for comparing a "5 year old" bike to a "new" bike, the Ninja 1000 has been out for several years. For 2020 it appears Kaw' wants to make it more into touring but it's bars are at least 2 inches lower and it has the low gearing and that might equal considerably lower mpg's and more vibration.
Without being able to see the bikes in person yet, I'm just trying to get some solid information about the Suzuki from actual owners. I'm not sure if the 2020 Suzuki's motor and gearing is the same as the '17/'18/or '19's.
Any help on my questions is appreciated.

#8 ·
I'm not sure why you say it's better suited to touring.
The Kawasaki has genuine aftermarket large panniers and top box available.
Factory cruise control.
Comes standard with a comfort seat (although i have no idea if it's any good)
Has far better tyres than the Suzuki. Bridgestone S22 vs Dunlop "Ice skate specials".

You could certainly turn the Suzuki into a decent tourer, but you don't have to even try with the Kawasaki.

I'd still buy the Suzuki because it's a ridiculously capable machine... and Kawasaki's are ****e.

#9 ·
I looked at the Kawa Ninja 1000SX at the local dealer recently. It's a nice touring package but if I remember it was about 50 lbs heavier than the F and the seat did seem more comfortable. Overall a nice package however I didn't ride one. I will say my 2016F has spoiled me as far as the handling is concerned and not sure how Suzuki does it but it feels very light to throw around and to wheel around the garage. I also have a 2006 Triumph Sprint ST which weighs the same but feels much heavier. To make it a bit more over the road friendly I went 1T higher on the countershaft and installed a Hyperpro progressive spring on the rear. I also had Dano reflash the ECU to smooth out the throttls and take about half the engine brake out.
Love the gearbox in the Suzuki...can't imagine any one makes a better one!
I would say if a high percentage of your riding is touring possibly the 1000SX might be the best choice.

#10 ·
Both good bikes. The lower bars on the Kawi would probably not be ideal, but that's an easy fix. I don't have a real problem with the stock seat on the GSXS, but I will admit, on a 200-300 mile day, the stops are needed.
I get about 48-51 mpg just commuting. on long rides with highway/freeway stretches I can get close to 60 mpg (if I'm adhering to the speed limit). I think the GSX gearing is going to be closer to the Kawi than your GS, but I'm used to that. The GSX-S handles great at freeway speeds and feels very stable, even with wind. I have a small aftermarket shield that is the same size as stock. I'm 5'10" and my head is in the wind, but my torso is protected. I actually prefer that to a higher shield and potential helmet buffeting, ... or an insanely huge shield.

#15 ·
Suzuki GSX-S1000F vs Kawasaki 1000SX

Hello. First post here. I've got some questions, please. I'm comparing the 2020 GSX-S1000F to the 2020 Kawasaki 1000SX. I still haven't seen either in person, let alone sit on one. Taking awhile for the new bikes to get to southern Utah. I'd like to start light-touring more. 2-4 days max. I'm about 5'10" and a 30" inseam.
By photo's, the Suzuki's bars are higher than the Kawasaki's, which I prefer. The Suzuki doesn't have cruise control like the Kawasaki has. How light is the Suzuki's throttle? Does your hand get sore after a few hours? Have you had good results if you used the typical throttle locks that clamp onto the grip?
The Suzuki throttle is fairly average to light in feel. The Vista cruise throttle lock works fine on it. "Cheap" cruise control which is nice to have for multi-day trips.

How is the Suzuki's seat?
That depends a lot on you, to be honest. The guys that are lighter in weight (let's say 165lbs or less) seem perfectly happy with the Suzuki seat. I'm about 255lbs and find the stock seat is 'sacked out' after less than an hour. For multi-day touring, you'll want something better unless you are light, in which case, a simple sheepskin cover might make the stock seat fine for several days in a row. Or get an AirHawk. Or just send the stock seat out to get better foam put in it. Spencers Seat Mods - Home Page - Custom Motorcycle Seats, Motorcycle Seat Modifications, Motorcycle Seat Mods

How is the wind and vibration at highway speeds?
Vibration on the Suzuki is a non-issue. Bike is pretty smooth. As for wind, I have a 'naked' model and can't really answer for the "F" bike, but what I've learned is the "F" model is the bike to have for touring/multi-day trips and if it is too windy or noisy, you cut the windscreen SHORTER. Then try it. Then cut it shorter again, then try it. At some point you will get it so the wind-blast is on your chest (not your head), and that will leave your head in clean, quieter air. Most people make the mistake of going bigger and bigger. You can't get big enough. You will end up with turbulence behind the screen that buffets you around. That's miserable. Shorter is better. You just trim and try until you get it right.

What kind of MPG are you getting on longer rides?
I get about 40mpg to 44mpg on my day trips, which often include some high speed runs up to 100mph just for giggles, then some droning along (in speed trap land) and wicking it up in the corners for fun. If you are just droning along at 70mph for a day, I bet you'd see 45mpg pretty easily on the Suzuki. For most liter class bikes, 40 to 45mpg is about the norm. (If you REALLY want great mileage, look at a Suzuki DL650! That darn thing gets over 50mpg pretty easily.)

At 70 MPH, what is the RPM's?
The Suzuki with stock gearing is going to show about 5,300rpm at a TRUE 70mph (not an 'indicated' 70mph; the odo has an 8% error, like nearly every Japanese made machine does, so when the speedo shows 70mph, you are really going about 64.5mph.) That RPM level seems just a touch too high for me to run it like that all day. But you know what? The bike doesn't care. The engine isn't bothered by that rpm at all. And fuel economy is still 40mpg or better, so no worries. But as mentioned by another inmate on here, going up to an 18 tooth front sprocket drops the 70mph rpms by about 200 or 250, making the bike feel just right. Helps fuel economy a bit, too. So that's a cheap 'fix' if 5,300rpm is too fast/buzzy for you. (Again, the engine is happy to do that RPM all day long...so it's more of a personal preference than a real issue.)

Is there a center stand available?
There is no centerstand available for the Suzuki. So how are you going to lube that chain out on the road? Two suggestions. First (and best) is to get a Scottoiler! This product is amazing and will pay for itself over time. Seriously. I had a chain that was at 36,000 miles and still going strong due to the Scottoiler. And this was on a liter-class sportbike, so the chain saw a hard life. Check it out here: https://www.scottoiler.com/ (I had the vacuum operated unit and it worked fine. I have no experience with the electrical units, but would imagine they work just fine, too.)
If you don't want to spring for the Scottoiler ($140 from Twisted Throttle), then you'll need some way to get the rear-wheel off the ground to spray lube while out on the road. That's where the SnapJack can help you out: snapjack

If the bike is trailered, can straps be attached to the tail area or do you have to attach somewhere around the passenger pegs? I appreciate any help.
Rear straps when trailering the bike will go to the passenger pegs on the Suzuki. There is nothing further back to attach to. But that works fine. I trailered my bike from Fort Worth to the Texas Hill Country and it was fine. I do recommend that you get a Baxley motorcycle chock if you plan to trailer often. It is a very strong, amazing product that will (again) pay for itself if it saves your bike from falling over even once. I can't imagine ever trailering without this product again: https://www.amazon.com/Baxley-Chock-Motorcycle-Wheel/dp/B004J6LCFI

#18 ·
frog4aday, thanks for the detailed reply. Regarding the Vista Cruise, I just ordered one for my GS1000. So there's no problem moving the brake lever bracket over to make space for the Vista's clamp? I can't install a Vista on my ZX14. Bars are short with no space to move anything.

Others, I appreciate the replies!

#20 ·
RE: mounting the VISTA CRUISE - go to this link. This is how I mount them.

Mounting a Vista Cruise on an FJR1300

It works on every bike I've owned (so far!) But you have to be willing to drill a small hole in the throttle cable housing and 'modify' the Vista Cruise slightly. Not a big deal. They are only $25 to $30. I've done this 'mod' on a Honda VFR750, Kawasaki Zephyr 750, CBR929RR, CBR954RR, FJR1300, FZ-1, DL650, SV650, and a Super Tenere. You MIGHT (probably will) have to trim away some of the grip. Some bikes I can move the grip over enough but I've gotten to the point now I just don't even bother trying. You can get the box cutter 'knives' at an auto part store or home improvement store for about $2, and they work great for 'grip trimming' work.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ANVIL-18-mm-and-9-mm-Snap-Off-Knife-Set-2-Piece-86-212-0111/303711777

This method would work on the NEP cruise control, too, but I've never used that brand so can't offer any opinion on quality, effectiveness or longevity. I've always had good luck with the VISTA CRUISE, that's what I get.

#21 ·
Thanks. Ordered both the NEP CC4 and Vista Cruise to see which will be easier to mod, will return the other one. Was thinking maybe I could adhere the bent throttle cable bit on the VC to the outer throttle cable plate, but the mod you linked seems more flexible in terms of lever placement. Will give it a go this weekend.

#23 ·
Hey gsxsdave, I can't send you a pic of it mounted on my GSXS as it doesn't have a throttle lock on it (yet) because my Super Tenere is my long distance bike at the moment. I have attached pics of how I have it on my Tenere though, if that helps.

Just imagine you are on the bike and you need to be able to activate it with your thumb. As long as you can easily use your thumb, without disturbing your current throttle position, it'll work great. If you have to move your hand a lot to get to it, you won't be happy because holding steady throttle while trying to activate won't be possible.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.