Any Clutch issues? - Page 2 - Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum
User Tag List

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 Old 01-26-2019, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Hello a2002lover...any updates? Looks like you haven't even logged on to the forum in a month. Curious what the outcome was to your clutch issues. Give us an update when you get a chance.
post #12 of 23 Old 01-27-2019, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Wth?
post #13 of 23 Old 01-27-2019, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Only ever had clutch problems after fitting cheapo Chinese levers !!!

post #14 of 23 Old 01-27-2019, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Just a reminder for the newer Members, that there is a design issue where the clutch cable can wear where is passes over the radiator tank.
There is a long thread on it it pictures and solutions if you search here for it.
Also, that Dealer should check that the clutch cable is/was routed correctly as per the Service Manual. There are settings that can be checked as per the manual as well.

Suzuki USA should be honouring their lousy 1 year warranty. Do the lemon laws apply to this case ?
Wonder why your US warranty so short ?
To lower the selling price point. Australia has 2 year's, UK has 3 year's I believe.

Rob.
tonyt and gsxsdave like this.
post #15 of 23 Old 01-27-2019, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
thanks for reminder..i used a plastic zip tie to hold clutch cable off the radiator ...ill give her a check
post #16 of 23 Old 04-03-2019, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Update on Clutch issue. Found that the dealer was correct. I have not had any issues with the clutch dragging since the oil change back to Suzuki standard oil. I hate to admit it! No other items were done at the dealer other than that and confirming settings of freeplay. Have put 1600 miles since occurrence and no issues. It seems that the motul oil in this bike is not liked by the clutch. Well, frequent oil changes and factory Suzuki oil on the shelf.

2018 Suzuki GSXS 1000F
2007 Yamaha FJR 1300
post #17 of 23 Old 04-03-2019, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2002lover View Post
Update on Clutch issue. Found that the dealer was correct. I have not had any issues with the clutch dragging since the oil change back to Suzuki standard oil. I hate to admit it! No other items were done at the dealer other than that and confirming settings of free play. Have put 1600 miles since occurrence and no issues. It seems that the motul oil in this bike is not liked by the clutch. Well, frequent oil changes and factory Suzuki oil on the shelf.
Good result.
I would not expected a Motul oil which I suspect is the 5100 semi synthetic 10W- 40 used to cause issues as I have used it myself in the past, till I found it not worth the double cost over basic mineral oils of the same grade based on my use.

Suzuki don't mandate any oil other than what they say in the Owners Manual.
That Motul oil has been around a long time as it's got a range of S grade service rating going from the very old oil SG standard upwards.
Cars from the 1960' and 70's need the SG grade for the extra phosphorus to protect big end bearings from undue wear.

I tried to attach the info below in a PDF file, but as it was 24 KB, it failed as the Forum limit is a lousy 4 KB lower at my 20KB file .
So I cut and pasted it. It certainly reads OK for use here for the GSX-S1000 that I can see. Any see a problem ?

Rob.

5100 4T 10W-40
High Performance Motorcycle Lubricant
Technosynthese ® - Ester
TYPE OF USE
Street & road bikes, trails, off road bikes, enduro, trial…fitted with 4 Stroke engines, integrated
gearbox or not, wet or dry clutch, engines meeting Euro 2 or Euro 3 emission regulation, fitted with
exhaust gas after treatment systems: catalytic converters, air injection into exhaust pipe...
Suitable for specific SUZUKI, YAMAHA, KAWASAKI engines requiring SAE 10W-40 viscosity grade
oil.
Other uses: street bikes without catalytic converters, scooters, ATV’s, UTV’s…
PERFORMANCE
STANDARDS API SM / SL / SJ / SH / SG
SPECIFICATIONS JASO MA2 under N° M033MOT112
Protection
Technosynthese ® lubricant reinforced by Ester base stock to warranty anti-wear properties and
improve gear protection and life time.
Improved oil film resistance at high temperatures for engine durability.
Optimized Phosphorus and Sulphur content (JASO MA2 < 1200 ppm) for better operating conditions
of catalytic converters.
The innovative anti wear additives package provides excellent gearbox protection. FZG Gear Test
results: Pass FLS 14 . The FZG (Forschungsstelle für Zahnrader und Getriebebau) Test, evaluates
fluid lubricating and wear protection properties at the interface of a loaded set of gears.
Comfort
JASO has created its own 4-stroke motorcycle standard -JASO T903- which has three grades MA,
MA1 and MA2.
JASO MA2 offers the most efficient friction levels to guarantee the clutch engagement during the
three riding modes: Starting, Acceleration and Constant Speed.
RECOMMENDATIONS
Drain interval: according to manufacturers’ recommendations and tune to your own use.
Can be mixed with synthetic or mineral lubricants.
PROPERTIES
Color Visual Amber
Viscosity grade SAE J 300 10W-40
Density at 20°C (68°F) ASTM D1298 0.871
Viscosity at 40°C (104°F) ASTM D445 89.8 mm²/s
Viscosity at 100°C (212°F) ASTM D445 13.82 mm²/s
Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 157
Pour point ASTM D97 -33°C / -27°F
Flash point ASTM D92 226°C / 438.8°F
TBN ASTM D2896 7.5 mg KOH/g
oldjackbob likes this.
post #18 of 23 Old 04-04-2019, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Kassu
I'm using Motul oil 5100 4T 10W-40 for more than 2 years and no clutch issues till now.

Annuit coeptis
post #19 of 23 Old 04-04-2019, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
I just did an oil change to Motul 5100, no clutch issues but then again I don't hardly ever actually demand any real power from the engine.
post #20 of 23 Old 04-04-2019, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
i love oil threads
Barstewardsquad likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page