LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 12-23-2018, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Any Clutch issues?

Hey all !
I have an issue with my 2018 GSXS 1000F clutch. 6770 miles on 4 mo old bike. Clutch is dragging when lever in when warm. Free play is proper. Neutral not achievable at a light and bike creeps forward. Bike is at Berts Mega Mall since Monday, 12/17 with no phone call or answer. Very disgusted with them. Has anyone had any clutch issues? I've talked to many friends with bikes. No clutch issues. Even the guys seeing track days. I've been told Suzuki will most likely not cover the clutch problem before it was even looked at. Glad to know they make a perfect bike and no need for warranty it seems. I asked Neo the service guy if he had seen any GSXR's or GSXS's with clutch issues, he said no! That says something doesn't it?

Anyone have a suggestion for a good Suzuki dealer that doesn't have a shitty service department in So. CAL? After reading yelp reviews of all local dealers, its amazing to me they are still in business. Lots of "avoid this service department" is not the most appealing thing to read when deciding to take a bike in for warranty repair.

side note: not my first bike! 6th actually, still riding my '07 Yamaha FJR 1300 with 62,250 miles. Dealer suggested possibly I did not use clutch properly. Didn't think I would hear that!

2018 Suzuki GSXS 1000F
2007 Yamaha FJR 1300
post #2 of 23 Old 12-23-2018, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
If the free play is adjusted properly as you say, that is definitely very strange. Did you change to a different motor oil with additives possibly? Will be interesting to hear what others here have to say here.
post #3 of 23 Old 12-24-2018, 03:56 AM

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Cable stretched or jumped a groove on the bottom spline?
Who knows, but if there is a defect a decent garage should cover that if it's only 4 months old

Pull my finger

post #4 of 23 Old 12-24-2018, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Am using the Motul semi synthetic 10/40. Plenty of people running that with the GSXR's and no issues. It's a very high quality oil. Can't imagine having an issue with that. Anyone else experience an oil issue with their clutch? My guess is that their is a clearance issue and is more noticeable when hot due to expansion. Or possibly an issue with the clutch drum or components. Perhaps a lack of lubrication at the clutch drum? Not a common issue as even the lousy service writer said that they don't see issues with clutches on these or the GSXR's. That's kinda of a giveaway that this is not a normal issue and that something has happened. Looking back, shifting has gotten a bit harder. Not as silky smooth as it was. This certainly shifts softer, smother than my other bikes. Although not at the moment.

2018 Suzuki GSXS 1000F
2007 Yamaha FJR 1300
post #5 of 23 Old 12-24-2018, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Not knowing anything about the GSXS clutch in particular, I'd suspect a warped disk. If any of the disks in the clutch pack have warped for any reason, that could easily result in a failure of the clutch to completely disengage when the lever is pulled in.
post #6 of 23 Old 12-30-2018, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Wow. Sounds totally out of character to me.
Just to be certain; you are the original owner, yes? No chance that some dousche bag bought it new and flogged on it for a month only for it to be traded in and it fell into your hands?
post #7 of 23 Old 01-02-2019, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapido1 View Post
If the free play is adjusted properly as you say, that is definitely very strange. Did you change to a different motor oil with additives possibly? Will be interesting to hear what others here have to say here.
I had some free play adjustment issues from brand new to first service (which is where the tech pointed it out) they adjusted the cable for me and it's right now. Also, I don't know how far south you are but Fred Cummings in Kern County Bakersfield area has always done me right and will submit a claim no problem. Most service departments get bad raps because nobody takes the time to write a good review. The real issue is Suzuki and their quick to deny claims stigma...."perfect bikes" remember haha
oldjackbob likes this.
post #8 of 23 Old 01-02-2019, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Does your bike have aftermarket levers? Maybe a pull ratio difference?
I've had no problems with my bike with stock or Pazzo levers, although I have also done some basic adjustments for my preferences and the different levers.
post #9 of 23 Old 01-04-2019, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I think oldjackbob is on the right track - warped clutch plates most likely, from the symptoms you described.

It could have been caused by something as simple as a cable in need of lube, too. If it has too much friction, it won't "release" fully. And if it doesn't release fully, you can get clutch slippage and warp the plates. Clutched up wheelies can be hard on the plates, too. As can 'quarter-mile' starts (doing a lot of 'stoplight to stoplight' racing there in So. Cal?) If the shop is no help, buy and install a new clutch cable and see if that doesn't solve your problems. The cable is a braided line and perhaps some 'strands' have let go and now when you pull in the clutch, it isn't fully separating the plates? It's a long shot, but it is a relatively cheap thing to try and might get things sorted. If it doesn't do the trick, then it is probably warped plates and nothing else is going to fix it other than a new clutch pack install.

Oh, and to answer your question, the GSX-S1000 isn't known to have clutch issues, which is a good thing, but in 2018 Suzuki did switch to a 'slipper-clutch' on their USA model bikes. Maybe that is causing issues we haven't seen before? I'm just sorry you are experiencing problems. That's frustrating.
oldjackbob likes this.
post #10 of 23 Old 01-21-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2002lover View Post
hey all !
I have an issue with my 2018 gsxs 1000f clutch. 6770 miles on 4 mo old bike. Clutch is dragging when lever in when warm. Free play is proper. Neutral not achievable at a light and bike creeps forward. Bike is at berts mega mall since monday, 12/17 with no phone call or answer. Very disgusted with them. Has anyone had any clutch issues? I've talked to many friends with bikes. No clutch issues. Even the guys seeing track days. I've been told suzuki will most likely not cover the clutch problem before it was even looked at. Glad to know they make a perfect bike and no need for warranty it seems. I asked neo the service guy if he had seen any gsxr's or gsxs's with clutch issues, he said no! That says something doesn't it?

Anyone have a suggestion for a good suzuki dealer that doesn't have a shitty service department in so. Cal? After reading yelp reviews of all local dealers, its amazing to me they are still in business. Lots of "avoid this service department" is not the most appealing thing to read when deciding to take a bike in for warranty repair.

Side note: Not my first bike! 6th actually, still riding my '07 yamaha fjr 1300 with 62,250 miles. Dealer suggested possibly i did not use clutch properly. Didn't think i would hear that!
hi i had the same problem but noticed it when the engine was cold but have now solved it .the previous owner had put some crappy levers on it so i changed them for some evotech levers problem solved also had loads more free play to fine adjust than before . Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page