LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 08-05-2017, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
My Test Ride of the GSXS 750

Hi All,
I got a 30 minute 100 kph bumpy highway and smoother Suburb ride, so I am passing on my impression of the 750 Naked c/- the 1000 Naked.

The Dealer Demo had done 40 km and the tyres were not bedded in other than the centre. It looked like Nicka's rear tyre, so I didn't try very hard in the corners as the high shine was frightening me as much as the Accident Excess I had to sign for.

The first turn of the wheels was about 20 seconds before I got off and checked the rear shock setting, it was position 3 (stock is ?). It was so hard it was not funny and the so little rear sag even with my 90 kg made the bike felt dangerous. The front sag was a little better, but race bike firm.

The seat looks flat, but sitting on it felt very hard and had a rounded profile under the bum bones. The lateral trim of the bike was feeling like a Sprint Bicycle - a very high seat and far lower handle bars and the impression that I was very forward towards the speedo clock.
Anyway, with the Audience watching, I carefully rode off and the ride was not comfortable. The bike felt very nervous in the steering, my bum up the air, and the front tyre bouncing off the road rashes and bumps. It was nothing like the 1000 at all, no matter how you could set it up.

In about a kilometre I was on the smoother highway, and the bike seemed happier. There was reasonable amount of disturbed air flow over the speedo clock, but the bike remained stable. After about 10 km's, it was time to reverse back, so I pulled out the rear shock spring adjuster from under the pillion seat and dropped the setting from 3 to 2 position.

A quick few circles in the carpark and it felt much the same, still hard and not much sag for the effort, so just rode it back on this 2 setting anyway as it just had to be better.
The softer spring setting did make a big difference to the ride attitude. The seat now felt a bit lower and softer, and the feeling of falling over the front was gone and I felt I was sitting in the bike rather than perched on the seat like up on a Camel and further back from the round and narrow front section towards the wider rear triangle of the rider seat.
The handling was better, I felt more confident with the handling over bumps and cornering, though I didn't try my luck.
The brakes, well nothing to report here, worked as expected.

The Engine:
This 750 feels like a good 600 compared to the powerful 1000. Where the 1K has abundant power everywhere, the 750 feels a very ordinary Commuter Grade hardware.
Yes, it does need a good wind up to get going, but it pulls ok, doesn't labour in a high gear and doesn't vibrate in the pegs or hands. Just does it's task without a power surge at least up to the 5000 rpm that I used. Dropping back from 100 down to 60 in 5th or 6th gear and winding on again was no drama, and 4th gear was quite good too, with more shove.
The Induction sound is different to the throaty 1000, a different altogether sound; a higher pitch that doesn't get louder when the revs get up and get intrusive like the 1000.

The Snatchy Throttle: Well, there's ZERO.
The hand grip feels like it has a smaller diameter drum down at the throttle bodies; there's more motion of the grip before things happen in both directions, but Doddy666 and TonyT would be very very happy to have it on their bikes - it is that good, zero complaints from me.

The fuelling feels like a good old fashioned Carby system, no feeling of 'fuel cut' or incorrect TPS settings. I was very pleased, as this was the object of the test today.
I was getting 26 - 28 km/L (3.5 l/100km) for my little journey, but I couldn't get the speedo head settings to give me L/100 km, but it seemed to be the same head unit as the 1000.

The Conclusion: The bike to me feels like the bike that you graduate to from the Learner Grades. It's powerful enough, won't disappoint. It's a modern UJM that fuels excellently. Think a repackage of the same old Suzuki that they churn out since year dot. Bandit 600, morphs into GSR750, morphs into GSXS750, just an new set of clothes over the same old bones.
It's not in the class of the 1000, feels more built for a purpose better than a City Commuter, but it's not 3/4 of the 1000 any day.

In Australia, it retails for $12990 on the road, and the 1000 is currently $15490 R/A, so the 750 is expensive c/- to the now in run out 1000.
When I sat on the SV650, that bike seems very small now to the 750, the handle bar width so much shorter. At 6' tall, the dimensions of the 650 were cramped where the 750 was good enough for my riding triangle but the 1000 feels it has that little bit more wriggle room needed for a longer journey.

The 750 is good, but the 1000 is the better in most regards and for not that much money more - except for you know what, that [email protected]#$% emission tune that you got included.

You need to buy for the right reasons - if you somehow lost your 1000 and the Insurance money would let you purchase a GSXS750, you would have instant 'Buyer's Regret' IF you did not have a test ride first.

The GSXR Family has a similar feel across the Range; the GSXS Family has a Father from a GSXR1000, but has an adopted Child from the Orphanage with the 750.

Would I buy a 750: As a sole bike, perhaps, perhaps not. The 1000 has left such a high bench mark to jump over for a reasonable $ figure.
With another bike in the Garage (my VFR1200F), the Wee Strom 650 Adventure Tourer or the DL1000 could be a better fit for me personally now as a next purchase,
with a new GSXS750 probably later on if I am to become a 1 bike household or never if, NO when, Our GSXS1000 get's an 'acceptable' Factory tune.

Thanks for Your Reading,
Rob.

Last edited by Slower and Slower; 08-05-2017 at 06:51 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page