User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-25-2019, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Crooked forks

So after riding my bike for a couple months I couldn’t figure out why the left side of my lower neck and traps would start burning after a while. I think I found the issue. Looking down my forks while riding I can clearly see they’re not straight. Bike has never been laid down, no reason for bent bars so I can only assume the forks are tweaked a bit. This happened a couple times when I rode dirt bikes so I would just loosen the triple clamps and stand in front of the bike with the front wheel between my knees and bend the forks straight.

So I tried listening the middle clamps and doing the same thing to no avail. Do I have to listen the top headset bolt or the middle and lower pinch bolts as well?
post #2 of 10 Old 01-25-2019, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
All pinch bolts securing the fork tubes have to be loosened, but not the steering head collar.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-26-2019, 03:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Check the alignment of the top and bottom yokes, if they aren't exactly in line it will throw your front wheel and fork alignment out.

4 wheels move the body, but 2 wheels move the soul.

1982 Honda CB750 BOL D'OR
2017 Kawasaki GTR 1400
2017 Suzuki GSX S1000

post #4 of 10 Old 01-26-2019, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
seen vids where it has to do with front tire axle..loosen axle bolts then push up and down hard on the bars compressing the forks...Dave moss vid on youtube ..adjusting someones suspension at track
post #5 of 10 Old 01-26-2019, 09:46 AM

good point Leaveit, loosen axle bolt as well
post #6 of 10 Old 01-26-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ah ok, I'll try loosening all pinch bolts and axle bolt and see where that gets me. So don't touch steering head collar bolt but even top yoke pinch bolts need to be loosened?
post #7 of 10 Old 01-26-2019, 06:07 PM

Anything that’s securing the fork tubes has to be loosened, except the steering head nut, and also loosen the axle
Then do just what you did with the dirt bike and check visually. You can step away from the side of the bike and kneel down and line up the fork tubes with your eyes, they should look parallel.

And I want to add you need to have the forks suspended on a front paddock stand!

Last edited by Rapido1; 01-26-2019 at 06:10 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-26-2019, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsemperfi View Post
Ah ok, I'll try loosening all pinch bolts and axle bolt and see where that gets me. So don't touch steering head collar bolt but even top yoke pinch bolts need to be loosened?
I was always taught to tighten the axle bolt first, but leave the bottom pinch bolts loose till the end - bounce the bike on its suspension (on the ground) a few times then tighten the pinch bolts
post #9 of 10 Old 01-26-2019, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhuketPaul View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsemperfi View Post
I was always taught to tighten the axle bolt first, but leave the bottom pinch bolts loose till the end - bounce the bike on its suspension (on the ground) a few times then tighten the pinch bolts
I've usually done the axle most of the way(tight but not torqued on yet), more or less finger tight on the pinch bolts, then bounced it. Tightened the axle bolt, then the pinch and a final little torque check on the axle. I've never had problems that way, but it may be a little redundant overall. I just find it worked well the first time, so it's what I've been doing since.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-27-2019, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Open your pristine Owners Manual and see what Suzuki said on the subject.
If you don't have a large hex spanner for the axle right hand side, a cheap way is is to measure the across flats and see what bolt hex will fit at the Hardware Shop.
Add a couple of locking nuts on the threaded end and your good to go.

Rob.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page