User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 03-05-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Wierd Brake Lever Angle

Recently my son and I picked up a nice low miles 2016 GSX-S750 to upgrade from his GS500. The bike had obviously been tipped over a few times but nothing bad.

While installing new levers I noticed something bizarre. The angle of the clutch lever mount to mirror stem is 90. But on the brake side it's more like 110 or 120. So when the mirror stems are parallel to each other the brake lever is angled down quite a bit more than the clutch. Of course if you rotate the brake perch so the levers are the same angle then the brake-side mirror is leaning way back. Plus the brake lever pivot bolt hits the throttle cable tubes.

While it's possible someone swapped the brake perch assembly from a different bike I can't imagine the previous owner would have done that. Plus there was no other real damage or noticeable problems with the bike other than the broken lever ends.

Don't mind the cheesy brake lever. I was just experimenting.

Ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clutch Mirror rs30.jpg (559.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Brake Mirror rs30.jpg (457.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Mirror Angle rs20.jpg (357.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg GSX-750 Front Close View rs30.jpg (446.2 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by XionUAV; 03-05-2019 at 07:16 PM.
post #2 of 11 Old 03-05-2019, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
That is weird, must be a different assembly, very possible as you say the bike has been "tipped over" a few times. You should be able to find the correct OEM on Ebay.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-05-2019, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The thing is there's nothing damaged regarding the assembly. It's just a different offset to the clutch lever side. I don't have anything else to compare it to since my other bikes are a good 10 years older. But it just doesn't seem right.

If someone with a GSR or GSX-S could see what their brake assembly looks like regarding the lever to mirror stem angle then I would at least know for sure that this assembly is incorrect or not. I can't imagine that it would be correct but I'd hate to order a new one and find out it's the same.

post #4 of 11 Old 03-05-2019, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Just checked an OEM parts diagram and the master cylinder assembly it shows has a 90 angle between the lever and mirror stem/master cylinder. I don't think the assembly on the bike we purchased is original to the bike, which is just really bizarre. A new assembly is close to $200 so the search begins for a compatible used assembly.

The model having been in the U.S. for only a few years makes sourcing used parts for it here very difficult.

Gotta love used bikes. Most of the time they're fine but once in a while...
Attached Images
File Type: png Front Master Cylinder Fische.png (78.3 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by XionUAV; 03-05-2019 at 10:06 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-05-2019, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Ebay
post #6 of 11 Old 03-05-2019, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Here's an example of the master cylinder assembly I think might be on the bike. These are the cheapo sets you find on eBay for $15 to $20. If you look at the angle where the lever pivot mount meets the fluid reservoir you can definitely see that the lever pivot is angled down.

Found a used GSX-S750 master on eBay. It was trashed with a likely broken threaded insert for the cap in the reservoir and they still wanted $66 plus shipping. Ridiculous.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cheapo Master Cylinder.jpg (153.5 KB, 7 views)
post #7 of 11 Old 03-05-2019, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapido1 View Post
Ebay
Found a good picture of a used master in Europe. It has the same downward angle as the master on my son's bike so apparently it's correct. That makes no sense.

Why would a person have the clutch and brake levers at different angles relative to the mirror mounts or stems? It doesn't look right and doesn't feel right. I just don't get it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front Brake Master Used GSR.jpg (91.5 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by XionUAV; 03-06-2019 at 03:02 AM.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-06-2019, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I'd be taking a trip back to the dealer and have them rectify the fault, it certainly looks like either the brake or clutch perch is not OE for the bike, it could well be a Suzuki perch but from a different model.

4 wheels move the body, but 2 wheels move the soul.

1982 Honda CB750 BOL D'OR
2017 Kawasaki GTR 1400
2017 Suzuki GSX S1000
post #9 of 11 Old 03-06-2019, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Garage
Not sure a dealer will take much responsibility for a 3 year old.bike that may have been modified...
post #10 of 11 Old 03-06-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yeah no dealer is going to care or probably even have a clue about it. 90% or more of the time it's riders who find problems with production bikes.

This morning I took a look at the Bandit 1200 controls on my modified SV1000S and both the brake and clutch masters have the same lowered lever mount angle as the GSX-S750 brake master. So it would appear the clutch perch is the actual culprit.

Can't believe Suzuki engineers would be so sloppy as to use lever mounts with different angles. You would think they would have at least made a perch clamp with the mirror stem mount angled. Something that simple would avoid this whole mismatched lever angle issue. Maybe there is a clamp like that somewhere.

Worst case if this can't be sorted reasonably with production parts then we'll remove the stock mirrors and go with bar ends.

I'd really like to hear from some other GSX-S750 or GSR owners who could take a look at their control setups so we can find out if other bikes have this same issue or if the bike we got is just goofy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page