3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-13-2019, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
High Frequency Vibrations

Sooooo, this is a weird one. I'm very new to street bikes, I only have 2550 miles on my GSX-S750 and today I suddenly became aware of a pretty strong high frequency vibration (Buzz) from the engine. I rode 90 miles one way and the bike felt just like it always does. Then I changed out the handlebars for Renthal Fatbars Street Low, tightened my chain (1 inch of play on rear stand) and that's it. I just got new riding boots and when I got on the highway and past through about 5K RPM I noticed a buzz in the pegs and thought it was the soles of my new boots. as I got up to 6K RPM it turned into a pretty good buzz. I rotated my heel to touch the engine and could really feel it, pretty strong vibe. The bars have a tiny bit of vibes but nothing bad. My mirrors are really clear and it seems to be from the engine back. Is this something I should be worried about? It's the first time I got off of my bike and felt like I'm vibrating still, sort of weird.
post #2 of 13 Old 04-14-2019, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Just clarify 'rear stand'? Do you mean side stand or accessory paddock stand ?
I did once set the chain free play on the paddock stand on a Bandit 1250, and it fine on the stand, BUT was far too tight (no free play) in the chain with an increase in vibration once on the road. But, Gear changes were good !
Some really expensive boots have gel pads in the sole, and old boots get softer with time.
My last pair of alpinestars gave initially more vibration than the older ones, and bikes without rubber on the pegs do pass more up into the boots.
On a personal note, I get vibrations from my DL1000 comfy seat up into my pelvic bones, up through the spine and resonates a bone in my ear, True.
I doubt there is anything wrong with the bike, but the more you look for it, the more it will be there.
That the brain working on the negative, your bar changes will be fine as you said.
Have a recheck of the exhaust can and header's are all nipped up, and the mounting rubbers are in good shape.

Rob.
oldjackbob likes this.

Last edited by Slower and Slower; 04-14-2019 at 05:17 AM.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-14-2019, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Your chain will be too tight if you adjust to spec with the rear wheel off the ground. That's why the manual instructs you to adjust it with the back wheel on the ground. Before you drive yourself crazy looking for a chain issue, slowly run the bike up to 6K in neutral with the bike on the kickstand. If the buzz is there in neutral its not the chain or sprockets. Could just be the throttle bodies aren't well synced from the factory. Mine also has a 6K buzz, many others here have noticed it too with our 1000's. One of these days I will buy the tool and do my sync.

post #4 of 13 Old 04-14-2019, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharger View Post
Your chain will be too tight if you adjust to spec with the rear wheel off the ground. That's why the manual instructs you to adjust it with the back wheel on the ground. Before you drive yourself crazy looking for a chain issue, slowly run the bike up to 6K in neutral with the bike on the kickstand. If the buzz is there in neutral its not the chain or sprockets. Could just be the throttle bodies aren't well synced from the factory. Mine also has a 6K buzz, many others here have noticed it too with our 1000's. One of these days I will buy the tool and do my sync.
Just adjusted my chain again, on the ground I have an inch of play at the tightest point. Vibe is there if I rev in neutral. If I move my foot up to my crankcase and touch it the vibe is minimal but when my heel touches the top of the rear set mount it vibrates like crazy. The really strange thing is my bike is now getting better gas mileage. No joke my average MPG yesterday was 49.9. I’m usually at 42-43. Aliens I tell you, Aliens. I’ve been recording my fuel on the Fuelly App and so far with 2446 miles I’m at 44.2 MPG average. Bike has 2700 miles now but I missed some of the early one.

Last edited by jjsemperfi; 04-14-2019 at 03:52 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-14-2019, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Sounds like itís finally starting to loosen up a bit.
Mine was the same. Iíve managed to get as much as 60 mpg on one ride but that was as boring as **** so I wonít be doing that again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldjackbob likes this.

Pull my finger
post #6 of 13 Old 04-14-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
Sounds like it’s finally starting to loosen up a bit.
Mine was the same. I’ve managed to get as much as 60 mpg on one ride but that was as boring as **** so I won’t be doing that again

Wow that’s crazy! Yeah I hear ya, trying to get good gas mileage is no fun. Better to twist and pay up!
Rusty likes this.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-14-2019, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsemperfi View Post
Wow thatís crazy! Yeah I hear ya, trying to get good gas mileage is no fun. Better to twist and pay up!
You've got that right! The only time I'm shifting early in the RPMs is when I'm next to a popo or the fuel gauge is blinking and I'm trying to make that last ounce stretch.

2016 GSXS1000F
2007 Honda VTX 1800F3
post #8 of 13 Old 04-15-2019, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
Sounds like itís finally starting to loosen up a bit.
Mine was the same. Iíve managed to get as much as 60 mpg on one ride but that was as boring as **** so I wonít be doing that again

Don't forget he is referring to US gallons, not HM The Queens' Imperial measure, Beaker.

Rob.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-15-2019, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Just adjusted my chain again, on the ground I have an inch of play at the tightest point. Vibe is there if I rev in neutral. If I move my foot up to my crankcase and touch it the vibe is minimal but when my heel touches the top of the rear set mount it vibrates like crazy. The really strange thing is my bike is now getting better gas mileage. No joke my average MPG yesterday was 49.9. Iím usually at 42-43. Aliens I tell you, Aliens. Iíve been recording my fuel on the Fuelly App and so far with 2446 miles Iím at 44.2 MPG average. Bike has 2700 miles now but I missed some of the early one.
Try a bottle of fuel injector to clean the gunk off the injectors nozzles. Then you may use more fuel, but get a smoother running motor ?
Your fuel choice is limited to ethanol shandies, but 2500KM is a bit early for things to gum up surely?

Rob.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-15-2019, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slower and Slower View Post
Quote:
Just adjusted my chain again, on the ground I have an inch of play at the tightest point. Vibe is there if I rev in neutral. If I move my foot up to my crankcase and touch it the vibe is minimal but when my heel touches the top of the rear set mount it vibrates like crazy. The really strange thing is my bike is now getting better gas mileage. No joke my average MPG yesterday was 49.9. I’m usually at 42-43. Aliens I tell you, Aliens. I’ve been recording my fuel on the Fuelly App and so far with 2446 miles I’m at 44.2 MPG average. Bike has 2700 miles now but I missed some of the early one.
Try a bottle of fuel injector to clean the gunk off the injectors nozzles. Then you may use more fuel, but get a smoother running motor ?
Your fuel choice is limited to ethanol shandies, but 2500KM is a bit early for things to gum up surely?

Rob.
Bought some SeaFoam and added some to my tank this morning. I did some troubleshooting on my ride this morning.

First off, my bike is getting stupid good gas mileage now. It’s really weird. My average MPG went from 42 to 46. On the instantaneous (I know it’s not terribly accurate) I was getting 45 MPG at 7K RPM in 6th gear. You can do the math and figure out how fast I was going. So that is new and strange.

I have narrowed down the worse part of the vibrating to my right foot peg / rear set. Left side doesn’t vibrate nearly as bad. My exhaust is fairly smooth, my crankcase is pretty smooth. All of my bolts on my rear set are tight and look good.

The vibration is only under throttle. If I pull in the clutch it completely goes away. Starts at about 5.5K all the way to redline.

I guess knowing my engine isn’t the culprit is making me feel better about it. The fact that I can put my foot on the crankcase and barely feel anything is a good sign. I can deal with a numb right foot but I just wanted to be sure my engine wasn’t taking a dump on me.

Someone on YouTube mentioned the idea of the engine running lean. The gas mileage has me wondering. The first 4 inches of my headers are a dull gray / light brown color. Then it changes to the straw colored normal exhaust color. I may try putting the baffle in my Alpha T just for shits and giggles, see if it runs different and to see if the mpg goes down.

Strange stuff. I appreciate all of the comments and help guys.

Last edited by jjsemperfi; 04-15-2019 at 01:57 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page