13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 Old 06-27-2019, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-twitch View Post
For me, the supermoto feel comes more from a bar that is straighter across than higher. The riding position is already upright enough, but the sweep in the stock bars felt very awkward. It gave the bars a narrow feel and brought the elbows down unlike a dirt bike/supermoto bar that feels wider, straighter, and keeps the elbows up. With the lows, I would say the height feels very similar to stock if not a little bit more upright. I cut mine down to a similar width to stock maybe slightly wider, but they feel wider because they are straighter across.

I doubt there would be enough throttle cable for the nakeds without cutting them

down. A couple cm on each side wider than stock would be maximum I would guess.

Stock bar ends use a welded nut in the handlebar, not the typical compressed rubber. You could reuse the stock ones with a longer bolt, a couple washers, a nut, and some rubber tubing that fits inside the handlebar. The Renthals have a thicker wall thickness than other bars so the rubber insert needs to be narrower than on standard bar ends. I have some other bar ends that I like better than the stock ones, so am going to set those up to use.

You can drill out the bar for the positioning tabs if you want, but I just snipped them off. They still snug down plenty tight, and now have more adjustability to get the controls exactly where I want them.
That's' weird about the stock bar ends not fitting, the Renthal guy said everything else is identical
post #22 of 31 Old 06-28-2019, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxsdave View Post
Thanks, I'll look into the lows then. I have a pretty short reach so the closer the bars are, the better.

Sucks about the stock bar ends not fitting though. I have my bar end mirrors on the outside of the bar ends so my clutch lever doesn't keep hitting the mirror. Have you noticed the bar having considerably more vibration without the bar ends?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

I did get the stock bar ends to work. I cut a short piece of fuel line that I had laying around that fit inside the handlebar, found a nut that worked on the stock bolt and it tightened right up. If I was going to keep them, I would get a longer bolt so there would be more rubber hose inside the bar to make them more secure, but it works.

Without the bar ends the vibes weren't too bad. I'm still breaking it in so only topping out at about 8k rpm's right now. Might be more vibes with more revs.
post #23 of 31 Old 06-28-2019, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
Do you have the F or naked? I'm curious how the low's fit with the fairing.
I have the naked.

post #24 of 31 Old 06-28-2019, 12:23 AM

Quote:
That's' weird about the stock bar ends not fitting, the Renthal guy said everything else is identical
He may have assumed the bar ends were the typical compressed rubber type and didn't know the stock bars have a welded nut. Gotta be tough to stay up on all the different models.

But still, Renthal sells a specific bar end to fit the narrower inside diameter of their bars. He should have known that.
post #25 of 31 Old 06-29-2019, 04:17 PM

Has anyone been able to fit lows on a F model?
post #26 of 31 Old 07-16-2019, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
I just talked to Renthal, they said ours is a one off for Suzuki but the three they offer will fit in theory. I bet the lows are sweet for aggressive riding, 1" lower and a little more sweep

Here's the dimensions for Ours / Low / Street / Naked

A -724 / 766 / 769 / 780 / Width

B - 106 / 80 / 98 / 105 / Height

C -57 / 50 / 64 / 70 / Rise

E - 40 / 50 / 72 / 86 / Sweep

F -200 / 190 / 195 / 210 / Control Length
Given these dimensions, none of the options would result in a taller bar, right? Looks like the only thing that gets a dramatic change is the sweep.

Being that I don't want to shorten my reach, I think I'm leaning towards the naked and then just cutting the ends to accommodate for cable length. What would you guys recommend for cutting the ends? Dremel? Angle grinder?

post #27 of 31 Old 07-16-2019, 11:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
What would you guys recommend for cutting the ends? Dremel? Angle grinder?
I use a conduit/pipe cutter, the kind that is adjustable.
gsxsdave and oldjackbob like this.

"...And miles to go before I sleep."

Shock swap video/howto: https://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/suspe...r-install.html
post #28 of 31 Old 07-16-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsemperfi View Post
Called Revzilla, they answered my question. the 1" is different from 1 1/8", obviously they are two different measurements but I wasn't sure if it was a labeling difference between companies or something weird.
Sorry no one saw your post and was able to answer your question. Good to see you take the bull by the horns and figure it out and then come back and share what you learned. Good on ya! And thanks.
post #29 of 31 Old 07-17-2019, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Stupid question but is the fatbar line the only aftermarket bar that is compatible with our bike? We can't use Pro Taper or some other brand that will fit the handlebar clamp and switches? Ideally, I just want a bar that gives at least 1" rise with less sweep.

post #30 of 31 Old 07-17-2019, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Stupid question but is the fatbar line the only aftermarket bar that is compatible with our bike? We can't use Pro Taper or some other brand that will fit the handlebar clamp and switches? Ideally, I just want a bar that gives at least 1" rise with less sweep.

Here is the one I have on my bike right now : https://www.denniskirk.com/599177.sku

It does not have any rise to it, so I ordered a 20mm rise kit from Amazon. The rise was needed to get the front brake lever to clear the turn indicator on my non-F model. Not sure if the handlebar will work for the F model though. It is sportier and gives much forward oriented and lower riding position, but after riding it for sometime now, I am thinking of trying the stock bar again to see if I like them better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page