Handlebar Sizes - Page 5 - Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum
User Tag List

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 48 Old 11-29-2019, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I put on the X-bar Drag bar on my GSXS as with my short upper body my arms were 100% parallel to the ground so I sat pert near 90 degrees. this made it very difficult to be smooth on the bike with the crappy fueling and no angle to absorb the force with my body. They feel wider than stock and I had a tight fit with the clutch cable on mine. I really wish I could find some expanding vibration foam to fill the bar, but haven't found anything.

https://spieglerusa.com/controls/han...-bar-4491.html

Last edited by ChrisOH; 11-30-2019 at 08:52 PM.
post #42 of 48 Old 11-30-2019, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxsdave View Post
Funny I totally overlooked the MA006 part as I've settled on that during the past couple of days in my search for lower bars.

So you don't have the original bar to compare the sweep?

How tall are you?

Can you take any pics? How's the thumb clearance at full lock?

On a side note, I have a set of Rox 2" pivot risers. Rolling them forward and adding a drag bar with some decent sweep might be another option as well.
Gsxdave,

I don’t have original bars to compare to.
I’m 5’9”.
I attached some pics.
I just moved them back up to ‘0’ position to see if I can get used to this if doing some hanging off to the side. You can see thumb clearance in this position. Last track day I moved it down to all the way to “-1.5” position and my thumbs would just starting to get jammed at full lock. I liked the angle of my wrists in that position but felt like the bars were too close to me for my “inner” hand. “Outer” hand is fine. I’m gonna experiment some more. Could be that my old joints are just too stiff .
For regular highyway riding they are comfortable, don’t feel like I’m hanging on my arms much at all. My rear gets tired way before my arms do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B66C8742-66A7-4A41-9E7B-A50C2DED93F6.jpg (118.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg F5C4B2A3-6EF2-4534-B6F1-D199DE949A1F.jpg (206.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 9D3CAD79-162B-4004-AFD2-D3CB44A38265.jpg (313.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 3BC9DA3E-02E0-4266-B17F-81A61B8E9A61.jpg (135.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 3B8A8215-3F89-4F4C-92AE-C08C0DCA9EDE.jpg (167.4 KB, 19 views)
mike d and gsxsdave like this.
post #43 of 48 Old 11-30-2019, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsxsfan View Post
Gsxdave,

I don’t have original bars to compare to.

I’m 5’9”.

I attached some pics.

I just moved them back up to ‘0’ position to see if I can get used to this if doing some hanging off to the side. You can see thumb clearance in this position. Last track day I moved it down to all the way to “-1.5” position and my thumbs would just starting to get jammed at full lock. I liked the angle of my wrists in that position but felt like the bars were too close to me for my “inner” hand. “Outer” hand is fine. I’m gonna experiment some more. Could be that my old joints are just too stiff .

For regular highyway riding they are comfortable, don’t feel like I’m hanging on my arms much at all. My rear gets tired way before my arms do.
The Street Low looks like it's lower but could just be your rollback. Even if it's not, having less sweep makes you ride elbow out (in order to avoid wrist discomfort) so your body will want to lean more forward anyway.

Sounds like you'll probably like the Street Low better. Having less sweep should be more comfortable on your inner wrist when hanging off. The outer wrist, OTOH, I'm guessing will be less comfortable since it's more difficult to maintain elbow out with your arm on the tank.

YMMV as I'm 5'5". I've been back and forth but if I had to do it again, I'd probably just clip off 3/4" off each end while keeping the Street Low. Right now, the holes I drilled for the control switches are pretty much spot on. I'm hesitant to drill more holes for the sake of structural integrity but I might go that route in the future.

Edit: Forgot to mention, cool windscreen. I dont think I've seen that one before.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
Gsxsfan likes this.

Last edited by gsxsdave; 11-30-2019 at 11:29 PM.

post #44 of 48 Old 11-30-2019, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Installed the Street Low a week ago, test rode it today. Between

1. grinding down the control switch positioning tabs and risk inadvertent free throttle rotation during a drop, etc, or

2. drilling holes into the bar and risk weakening the bar or getting stuck with bad control/lever positioning,

I chose #2 because I figured #1 would still be available if I messed up #2 . Turned out ok.

I used a "Kiwav handlebar drill guide" which is perfect for drilling the 5mm holes necessary. Made the job gsxsdave-proof... well, the drilling anyway.

As for the bar ends, I went to Ace Hardware, picked up 5/8" OD x 3/8" ID fuel hose x 1', M6 washers x4, M6 hex nuts x2 (serrated flange nuts would probably work a little better), all for around $4. Cut the fuel hose using a tube cutter to start as a guide and a box cutter razer blade to saw it off for minimal fraying. Assembled like stock with the washers being used on the ends of each spacer. Works great with my CRG Arrow bar end mirror clones on the ends.

I set the bar hash mark to zero to get a baseline, and at full turn lock, my thumb fully tucked in will clear the tank (I typically wear large gloves) with room to spare. You can probably even rotate the bars further back beyond zero.

Initial riding impression: I love it! (Results may vary as I'm 5'5")

The riding position is more leaned forward (not as aggressive as clipons) giving it a sportier feel and the reduced sweep with wider bar gives it a supermoto feel forcing you're elbows out. This gives more cornering confidence as you feel more connected with the front end.

The best part, I test rode it without my MRA windscreen and the lower body position cuts through the wind much better such that I no longer feel like a sail above 70 mph. I don't think an ugly windscreen is even necessary now.

As for the negatives, at the zero hash mark position, I have to remember to maintain that elbow out, low body position which requires some core strength, unlike with the stock handlebar. Otherwise, I get some left wrist discomfort. Also, holding on to the bar at a stop while sitting up and straightening you're elbow gives an awkward grip angle, again causing wrist discomfort. This sucks during stop and go traffic. I'll experiment with some different bar rotations in the future.

Hey Dave what’s the part number on the street low Renthal bars?
Thanks Jeff
post #45 of 48 Old 11-30-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name Is Jeff View Post
Hey Dave what’s the part number on the street low Renthal bars?

Thanks Jeff
Renthal Black Fatbar Street Low Handlebar - 828-50-BK.

post #46 of 48 Old 11-30-2019, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Renthal Black Fatbar Street Low Handlebar - 828-50-BK.

Hey thanks
post #47 of 48 Old 11-30-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name Is Jeff View Post
Hey thanks
You're welcome.

post #48 of 48 Old 12-19-2019, 03:32 PM

Another option maybe, at least for nakeds?

Rizoma race retro handlebars, MA054B:

Gsxsfan likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page