2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-15-2019, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
18' GSX-S750 Fuel Tank Capacity

Is anyone able to get more than 3.5 gallons into the tank? The bike is supposed to hold 4.2 Gallons (16 liters) but the most I've ever been able to put in is 3.468 gallons, and that is above the bottom of the filler neck. Do most motorcycles have a fair amount of unusable fuel? Most of my fill ups, even when my low fuel indicator starts flashing are around 2.5-3 gallons.
post #2 of 11 Old 05-15-2019, 04:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsemperfi View Post
Is anyone able to get more than 3.5 gallons into the tank? The bike is supposed to hold 4.2 Gallons (16 liters) but the most I've ever been able to put in is 3.468 gallons, and that is above the bottom of the filler neck. Do most motorcycles have a fair amount of unusable fuel? Most of my fill ups, even when my low fuel indicator starts flashing are around 2.5-3 gallons.
As far as i'm aware it's a 17 Litre tank. Unless of course you have a 750?
The estimated fuel range is a little conservative. I guess that's not a bad thing.
I think i read in the book somewhere that after fuelling up, resetting the trip meter resets the learned fuel range values.
I believe there are threads on this subject on these forums.

When life throws you curves, lean into them.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-16-2019, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Quote:
Take it down so the trip says you only have about ten miles in the tank (or less)
Then when you fill it do it whilst you are sitting on the bike and keeping it vertical. You will get some more in then.
Or you could just fill it with American gallons...i'm sure they have a bigger tank than us

Pull my finger

post #4 of 11 Old 05-16-2019, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:

Have you ever ran it completely out of gas and filled up? Just because the gas indicator is flashing doesn’t mean there’s still not .8 gallons in the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 11 Old 05-16-2019, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I haven’t experimented with running it empty. I guess it makes sense if there is .8 to a gallon left when the low fuel advisory comes on. I am used to dirt bikes with no fuel gauges so this is new to me. I guess I could assume for whatever fuel tank capacity you have the last gallon is just reserves and sort of useless unless you’re cruising around town close to gas stations. So my bike pretty much has a 2.5 gallon tank as far as I’m concerned.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-17-2019, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
I had 181 miles on the trip meter at my last fill-up, it took 3.756 gallons, still showed 28 miles range on the odo. I'm very impressed with the mileage this bike gets as a daily commuter (22 mile round trip on city streets).
LEAVEITSTOCK and mike d like this.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-17-2019, 02:35 AM

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
The capacity is the total air volume of the tank, not the liquid carrying amount.
The fuel pump needs 1 litre of fuel covering it as a temperature controlling measure, so minus those 2 points and you will get closer to the useful range on the gauge indicator.
I've filled mine for the first time last week and it took 13.621 L to reach that stupid tank filler restricting plate device from a low reserve flashing lamp flashing. Only a few k's travelled after it came on steady to fill up.

Rob.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-17-2019, 02:41 AM

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjackbob View Post
I had 181 miles on the trip meter at my last fill-up, it took 3.756 gallons, still showed 28 miles range on the odo. I'm very impressed with the mileage this bike gets as a daily commuter (22 mile round trip on city streets).
OJB, For everyone's benefit, your posting 1000 figure's into a 750 discussion, so I hope no one is confused. I think Suzuki make all their models give the same usage figures.
That's been my experience over the years, I don't know if the smaller CC motors are fuel wasters or the bigger engines are more efficient.

Rob.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-17-2019, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjackbob View Post
I am very impressed with the MPG as well. I saw 53.5 MPG on my second to last fuel up. My average over the 3775 miles tracked is 44.7, not too shabby at all. Impressed you got 3.756 gallons into it. You're talking about the 750 not the 1000 correct?
post #10 of 11 Old 05-17-2019, 05:25 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
oldjack talking 1000 ..his numbers are close to mine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page