LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-29-2019, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
GSX-S 750 3000 KM Review

Hi All,
My Metallic Triton Blue 2019 750 bought in April has now 3050 KM under the wheels, so some thoughts on it for the Buying Lurkers and those interested in it.

Many here will know that I once owned a GSX-S1000 in the 2016 MY and rode it for 4700 KM for a year. After that, the 2018 year was on a 1000 V Strom .
Now the GSX-S 750 is half way into it's year with me, so it time to say some comparisons. Saying that, on the Forum is my comparison post to a short Dealer demo ride on the 2017 750 ( the Red Enamel version) with references to the 1000.

There are 3 area's to most bikes, Motor, Suspension and suitability of Design.

Motor:
Loosely based on the 2006 GSX-R750, it was a good choice. I had the 2009 K9 R, so I can appreciate what they started with, and I say they have succeeded.
The power curve surge is mostly after half way up the curve as are most 4 cyl inline engines. It's the bottom half to 5,000 rpm that is the interesting one for this Naked street bike.
This 750 does not disappoint here, it's no squib, it's got ample.

Like the 1000, a small twist of the go handle gives a prompt rise in road speed when in the correct gear and the one above that.
If one is inclined to do so, I think it could pop wheelies no worries in the lower gears when it comes on song. No idea myself, of course, I wouldn't know how.
The motor is very smooth. No vibes in the pegs or bars at least up to my 6000 rpm experience.
Unfortunately, the mirrors blur all the time, but clear enough to see behind you, but not enough to spot out a police car from any other vehicle.

Fuel Economy:
Very good indeed.
I keep Trip 2 un reset, so the indicated average fuel usage across all the 3050 KM is 4.3 L per100 KM, and lately has been showing 4.2 on the last 2 tanks worth on the Trip 1 counter.
If I constantly up it, it show's 5 L per 100 KM average. No idea what instantaneous is.
There is very little decel fuel cut effect, but it is there when I look for it.
Riding it on the throttle like on a track and the motor and gearbox/transmission all come together excellently.
Sloppy slow riding brings the bike out of it's sweet state, just like the 1000.
The GSX-S Family of bikes are for sports bike riders who want a higher bar position who ride hard on the street (so said Suzuki).

Suspension
Budget bike means budget parts, but the end result is more rather than less on the street.
The 1000 has better suspension parts than the 750, that's a fact. The lack of adjustability could be forgiven if the right compression and rebound settings were applied to the forks and shock cushion lever.
Suzuki never intended this bike to be used away from well surfaced roads as found in their test track. Real world crap surface exposes that the shock has far too much compression and the front forks too little rebound.
Now if your their ideal weight of 69 KG and ride around Motegi or Suzuka, Racetracks you'll be more than fine.
My 80 KG on the stock setting needed some adjustment.

As delivered, the rear preload (no rebound adjuster provided) is set to position 3 and the front has 2.5 groove lines showing. Note Suzuki quote 3.5 lines as they count the top flat surface of the adjuster itself, rather than lines showing starting up from the bottom as years past (why?)
Today, I have the final and best settings for me. Stock at the rear setting of 3, and the front at stock plus 1/4 turn extra preload.
In the 2017 Red Demo bike, the rear spring was a lot stronger than my bike and I had to reduce it to position 2 just to ride it out of the carpark. Perhaps Suzuki got some real bad feedback, and lowered the spring rate down a fair bit.

Of course on my bike I tried many many variations of preload's as I found the ride on broken tar (code for f#ck$ed) to be very harsh from the rear but it had an element coming from the front too.
The rear just jumped off the tar hills causing the traction control to constantly fire up the orange light. The traction control is more sensitive on the 750; my 1000 never once lit the orange light to my knowledge.
When the TC operates, I could not feel any difference in the engine, even when cork screwing up hill over the tarred tree roots of my favourite though crap road 'public racetrack'. Good work, Suzuki.

It's so crap now, the Council is now re tarring 2 KM of it, it's so bad, and that's not the worst of the it.
On the delivery day riding home on good main roads, the TC was firing all the time on position 3 (wet). Weeks later, still the same on occasion even after the tyre's were scrubbed in. On 2, it's all good now.

I de springed the shock, and tried some softer springs that I had on hand from years past. I was hoping to get the rear to sit a bit lower which they did, but going softer was worse on the road.
With the stock spring back in, I tried adding and subtracting shim's under the stock spring to give settings of preload in a range of 2.5 2.75 3.0 (stock) 4.5 4.75

Suzuki picked shock preload 3 and they were right for me.
While the spring was off the damper, pressing down on the damper was very hard indeed in compression. Nothing moved initially, then very begrudgingly moved down, and rebounded up at around 4 times faster.

The fork setting of stock plus a quarter turn in is very different to stock in performance now. It rides a lot more comfortable over rough roads, but the rebound is lacking as I feel the springs flexing up and down through the bars a bit sometimes on the harsh stuff.
Riding hard like this through a corner at 80 KPH is a non event and braking is stable on the lean too.
If I increase the fork preload by another 1 mm firmer turn in, the ride at the front is no longer supple.

I believe in making no adjustments for the first 1000 KM to allow for bedding in of the bushes and other suspension parts but I did this fiddling at 500 as it was pretty bad at the rear end. I think it took till 2500 KM to really become good as it is now.
As a Budget roadbike I rate the suspension good enough for me and most people too.

I did find online in Australia one supplier of Wilbers fork springs and replacement shock with a linear spring and another Agent for HyperPro fork springs with a progressive spring in their damper.
Both have a rebound adjuster in the shock and the Wilbers if I remember correctly, has a 10mm optional height adjuster. I would say the bike will be too high in the rear for most people then.
The stock shock is 325 mm bolt hole to bolt hole, and has the eye at the top and a clevis fork at the bottom end. The 1000 has a eye to eye shape, mounting lug's (no fork) and will not fit a 750.

The S21 Tyre's as fitted are up to the job for great wear and handling, but I think the Michelin Road 5 would be my replacement choice as comfort is a factor for me over grip.

Design:
The 750 is different in many ways to the 1000 even though they are styled the same. It's different to the GSX-S125 as that is to the GSX-S1000.
If you took a GSX-R750, took away the drop bars, removed the engine and put in 11 year design, added more emission controls, flattened the J power curve down, got 1990 non cartridge (piston tube damper) forks and a $50 rear shock then you have the idea.
Luckily, it delivers more bang for the low ask buck.
It is heaps better than it's descendant bike under the skin of 11 years ago (the KATANA 750 or GSX750) ever was.

A Rider coming up the ranks will think "Boy. How good is this !"
Looking back from a GSX-R 750 & 1000 and GSX-S 1000 background, it's a very good bike, won't bite you like some, and will give years of joy AND with the scope to upgrade the suspension for around $Au 1000 combined with the opportunity to flash the devils out of the ECU.
So would I buy this 750 over a 1000 ?

Depends, I did of course. Another Rider needs to remember the missing 250 cc is not a 1000 motor shaved down like a Z1000 to make a Z900 Kawasaki. The two Suzuki's are really different bikes for different people and expectation's.
The 750 sells for thousands of Dollars less - a quarter off the 1000's ask price here.
For that you get that GSX-S feel, the power kick, a comfortable seat (not as soft as the 1000), and a safe package. No F model though.

Would I buy another 750 ? No. Been there now - had this experience; time to try else out there while I can.
Would I buy another 1000 ? Yes. The 1000 takes the satisfaction and grin level to a higher point score, beyond the price difference to the 750. Even if upgraded as I said, the stock 1000 is superior in every way over the 750.

The 750 is up stepping stone move. Not a down from a 1000 class bike even for a GSX-S1000 Owner, even me.
A new GSX-R 750 is a completely different bike to a new GSX-S750 too.

Rob.
p.s Thanks for reading my Review.
post #2 of 5 Old 08-29-2019, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Your welcome
Slower and Slower likes this.

Last edited by My Name Is Jeff; 08-29-2019 at 09:02 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-30-2019, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Nice review.

How do you like the R750 compared to the S1000? While the 1000 is scary fun and I'll be keeping it for as long as I can, I feel like the better street manners of my old R600 but with a little more oomph would have been a better choice if I had to do it again. Holding a steady throttle on bumpy roads can be a little nerve wracking at times with the 1000.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by gsxsdave; 08-31-2019 at 01:33 AM.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-31-2019, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxsdave View Post
Nice review.

How do you like the R750 compared to the S1000? While the 1000 is scary fun and I'll be keeping it for as long as I can, I feel like the better street manners of my old R600 but with a little more oomph would have been a better choice if I had to do it again. Holding a steady throttle on bumpy roads can be a little nerve wracking at times with the 1000.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
Hi Dave,
The present K & L generation of R600 & 750 are the same up to around 6000 rpm, handling are the same as they are the same bike made from same parts as you know.
My 750 was the K9 from 10 years ago, so to directly compare a Euro 1 or 2 bike with a E4 would be unfair to the newer GSXS as that's too long back, but from my memory, my K10 GSX-R1000 was a more comparable bike to the present GSX-S1000.
I think the GSX-S750 is closer your R600 than the -S1000.
The two 1000's feel to be me bigger and heavier bikes, than the 600/750's, which is deliberate attempt to separate them in the Market.

This present 750 IF you were prepared to upgrade the suspension with R forks (or emulators even) and a better quality shock would transform the 750 to close to the GSX-R feeling.
I am very happy happy with the 750 stock suspension of good quality roads.
On these, there is no wallowing, jarring,tossed around at all.
It's just rubbish degraded tar (which is 90% of my local roads here) has gaps between the stones and that transmits high frequency pumping to both ends which is out of the scope of most suspension's to remove.

The emission tune is pretty good in my opinion, but flashing would get more bottom down torque for better pick up, just like your present ride if it's a few years old.
Saying that, the pick up from the S750 is not shabby at all.
A small twist of the wrist in 4th gear will stretch your arms a lot more than you would think.

One point I forgot to mention in the Review is that I think the rear tyre needs to be a 50 rather than a 55 profile. Turn in on a sharp uphill curve causes traction control issues and for the rear to beat the front. The 55 makes for a fast and responsive handling bike, but it does come at a price. Those wishing for the same 'improvement' on their 1000 could experience this also.
It looks to me like the old '50' standard on a few Naked bikes is morphing towards 55 rear profile to get a different feel to the old Sport Tourer feel.
I Wonder if the side walls are now a bit stiffer ?

Rob.
gsxsdave likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-25-2019, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
4000 KM Update:

1000 KM in the last 8 weeks. The 750 is getting better with every ride.
The motor likes a firm twist of the throttle as most 4 cyl inline's are. Response is never lacking, and is like a 600 GSX-R, always willing to please. On the go there is no inertia, the motor just spins up and screams 'go faster'.
The suspension has settled and is a non issue. I am happy enough with the cheapo OEM shock absorber, the forks are supple enough for the use I give it - it just works.
The 1000 has a tendency for too much kick back over sharp edges, the 750 doesn't have this trait.

Rob.
mike d and oldjackbob like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page