LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 10-17-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
JPC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
GSX-S750 cooling issue

I have noticed that in cold weather (below about 10 degs centigrade) my engine can take between 6 to 9 miles to show 3 bars on the temp display. It reaches 2 bars within about 2 miles. Also after about a mile on a downhill section 3 bars drop to 2 bars. In warmer weather normal engine temp is reached in 2 to 4 miles. Has anyone else experienced this or can offer an explanation?
post #2 of 12 Old 10-17-2019, 11:31 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPC View Post
I have noticed that in cold weather (below about 10 degs centigrade) my engine can take between 6 to 9 miles to show 3 bars on the temp display. It reaches 2 bars within about 2 miles. Also after about a mile on a downhill section 3 bars drop to 2 bars. In warmer weather normal engine temp is reached in 2 to 4 miles. Has anyone else experienced this or can offer an explanation?
ummm... because it's colder?
oldjackbob likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-18-2019, 12:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
ummm... because it's colder?
I think Mike could be on to something LOL!

post #4 of 12 Old 10-18-2019, 01:24 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPC View Post
Isn't that normal?

Engines are configured to operate at an optimal temperature range, which is where they perform their best with minimal wear and tear and they they use a thermostat. The cooling components (water pump, radiator fans) don't kick off until the temperature range is breached.

When your thermostat valve is closed, i.e when your engine temp is below nominal operating range, it is as good as having no engine cooling, except for RAM air. This explains your case, wherein with no engine cooling, you take longer to reach "3" bars during winter and come down to 2 bars when you are downhill, with no engine load, due to colder RAM air. However, you reach "3" bars quickly during a warmer climate.

You should be worried if it ever crosses "3" bars....
post #5 of 12 Old 10-18-2019, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
No its not normal.
It sounds as if your thermostat is stuck open and it's not slowing the circulation to the radiator when the engine temperature is starting to drop.
frog4aday likes this.

Pull my finger
post #6 of 12 Old 10-18-2019, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 586 Post(s)
**** my 1000 reaches 2 bars in a few min time 3 bars shortly after and stays at 3 no matter what the temp is...sorry for the rant
post #7 of 12 Old 10-18-2019, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Have you ever run a engine without a thermostat well you will get a similar results as JPC
but with more extreme changes in the temp range.
So like Beaker said it sounds like you have a problem with the thermostat.
frog4aday likes this.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-18-2019, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Garage
I don't have a 750, so I'm just speaking in generalities, but it's a digital temp gauge. 2 and 3 are right next to each other. (one bit on a low resolution A2D would be 1/256 of the designed range). If it's really cold, he might be bouncing between 2 and 3, when on a warmer day it might stay in 3. If it was going into broader zones, or if the behavior occurred in temps that were the same or warmer than when it was steady, then that seems like an issue.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-19-2019, 04:28 AM

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
I think Suzuki could just remove the temp gauge - replacing it with Engine and Ambient air temperature numbers.
It's all in the ECU anyway, plus they could throw in displayed battery volts too.

Rob.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-19-2019, 05:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
My previous bike was an SV1000S and it had a digital temp guage with display in degrees.

I always warm my bikes to operating temp and noticed the temp guage drop on cold days and cold sections of road.
The SV1000S would sometimes drop 5-10 degrees celsius below "normal" operating temp in winter.
As long as the fan kicks in when it should and there is no overheating then i don't see an issue here.

When life throws you curves, lean into them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page