User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 10-28-2019, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
GSX-S750 5 000 KM Final Review

In my 3,000 km review for the 2019 750, I said 'I would not buy another 750 GSX-S".

As said in another post elsewhere, the 750 after 5 months / 5000 km on the road is to make way for a new 2019 1000 Naked.
Why so soon? They normally spend a year or bit more in my garage.
There's nothing wrong with the 750 that a committed Owner need to worry about the 750, but I just wanted more meat on the bone.

Being a former 2016 1000 Owner that liked my Honda VFR1200F more than my 1000 at that time, I felt I had left unfinished business with the GSX-S1000.
Then a V Strom 1000 was my bike between those pair in 2018, so you can see I am not committed to long ownership.

Back to the 750.
Between 3000 and 5000 km, the bike becoming run in changed in character from an awkward teenager to fit for purpose bike. What purpose then ?
Really a bike that would be wanted by a rider who wanted a cheaper GSX-R600 for the street. I am more of a torque lover than a rev to the limit type.
Suzuki built the GSX-S750 for the former.

Yes, it rides the slow journey great, zero snatchy throttle, great fuel economy, a transmission that has no free play slop, just twist the throttle and it pulls away at a decent clip.
Turns in really fast but predictable always and is super stable under power through the turn's. Everything works better once your riding it hard, the air intake sings, no vib's from the motor, all good fun.
I don't ride the highways, just windy back roads. It's all good a 100 KPH, but that's only in short spells of under 30 minutes commuting.
All sorted, great job Suzuki.

So if your coming off a smaller bike like a Honda CB500 R or F, Kawa 400, or the like, you will think it's just Christmas.
I don't think moving directly down from a GSX-S1000 to a 750 is a good idea, unless you want to save money on insurance (my prior 1000 was priced like a GSX-R) or you feel overwhelmed by the sheer power and torque of the 1000.

People will read this review trying to glean from me whether they should buy the 750 or the 1000. A few Lurker's here have PM'ed me on this question - which one as no demo's available to test ride.
What's is in the 1000 more than the 750 other than 250 cc of engine ?

The 1000 is roughly 20% dearer in price, but that buys a build spec with 'medium' grade set of parts over a 'basic' set of parts in the 750.
It all comes down to the purchaser's aim's with the 750 and not the bike itself. It has far more bang for your $ than you'd think.
The 750 & 1000 are like close Cousins, a common background design, but built to satisfy a different rider's expectations.

If I had this bike back when I was middle age rather than my old age, I would be 'that' former type of rider the 750 was meant for - a sports bike rider rather an a sports tourer rider.
But now I am past winding up the throttle grip to get the HP top end needed for higher speed out of a smaller capacity motor.

I appreciate lower down strong torque in a bike's engine far more today, and the 1000 has bag's of torque with no need to twist hard up the throttle grip to get a dose of HP (it's always available just for the asking).

So time to re sell it with lower miles to some one who will get a run in bike that is sorted in stock form.
I loved my time with the 750, but the new owner will be more positively involved with it than me and I do not regret my 2019 GSX-S750 purchase at all.

Rob.
post #2 of 4 Old 10-28-2019, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Once you get used to the power of a liter bike, everything else feels slow.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-29-2019, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Kassu
Hi Rob,

A great 5k km review.
A lot of folks who are looking for a 750 cc bike will find it very helpfull.
Good job!

But I have one quick question for you: why people make the same mistake twice?

I would keep the GSXS750 just for the fun of riding and look for another liter bike for those days I need more power without snatchy throttle issue (which it comes with the price of a new GSXS1000L9).

Annuit coeptis

post #4 of 4 Old 10-29-2019, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassu View Post
Hi Rob,

A great 5k km review.
A lot of folks who are looking for a 750 cc bike will find it very helpfull.
Good job!

But I have one quick question for you: why people make the same mistake twice?

I would keep the GSXS750 just for the fun of riding and look for another liter bike for those days I need more power without snatchy throttle issue (which it comes with the price of a new GSXS1000L9).
Hi Kassu,
Yes, it could be a grey lemon like your's, but hope springs eternal.
My 2016 was not a problem jerky throttle bike, just annoying when in traffic when new, but got better over time especially after the TPS got reset.
The 2018 demo I wrote about here previously was faultless and I will soon find out.

Your choice, the Honda CB1000R is a bike that I have extensive ridden it on test, but I can't come to grips with the stretched out arm ergo's.
The GSX-S 1000 bar to seat distance is a lot shorter. If you measure from the Honda's bars to the start of the silver tank banding, the distance is similar.
That extra length of the silver is the difference between long term comfort and not.

I am sure you will be happy with the Honda 1000.
I would have opted in place of the GSX-S for the Honda CB650R, but Honda Au only offer it in Learner LAMS (A2) 35 KW power.
The previous edition has a very vibby motor, but the video's say it's now smooth, so it's all a gamble in regards to other peoples perception's of 'bad', 'jerky throttle' and so on.

Rob.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page