GSXS 1000 Forum banner

Radiator

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  frog4aday 
#1 ·
I got a hole in my radiator the other day on a ride from a small rock. I don't know what to do but definitely ain't trying to spend $600 on OEM radiator, any suggestions? 2018 GSXS750

#6 ·
it easy to fix one broken core tube, if its only dented you can just seal it up with some jb weld, if the tube is beyond patching, then with a sharp knife or chisel, cut out the stuffed tube by tapping the knife/chisel with a hammer, short sharp force rather than constant pressure, then jb weld the holes, ive done this to many radiators, as long as the surface is clean,and try to push some jb weld inside the hole, it will stay there for ages if not forever.
removing one core tube wont hurt the cooling ability very much, try it , what can you lose?

#8 ·
You've definitely got options being a small hole. JB Weld, a friend that can weld aluminum would be a couple minute job and also brazing is another option. You can try the jb weld just make sure it is clean all around and dry, let it cure and then pressure test it to make sure it is sealed tight.

#10 · (Edited)
Just curious, on the ride where you 'holed' your radiator, were you riding with friends (i.e., following another bike?) I've seen radiators pierced before, but always from one bike following another. I haven't heard of one getting holed just from riding solo, which is why I'm asking. You could be 'my' first, ha!

Edit: Oh yeah, JB Weld is amazing stuff. I agree w/the others recommending it. Saw a guy repair a broken crankcase cover with the stuff. A year later, he still hadn't replaced that cover and the JB Weld was still holding up. I carry it on every long trip. Duct tape, zip ties, and JB Weld - they can get you through a lot of 'on-the-road' problems.

#11 ·
my radiator got holed ( pinhole) from a stone a car flicked up as i was passing ( we have stone chip tarsealed here in nz), it dented one core tube enough for it to start leakn coolant, i jb welded it over two years ago,( i have since fitted a fender extender and a rad screen) if its a small leak, its best to make the hole large enough to allow some of the jb weld to ooze thru, but not enough to allow it to block the inner tube, ive also used it to fill the holes from removing the end of a core tube from the tanks, i usually leave the core tube in place, just cut thru the ends with a large sharp knife, by tapping it with short sharp blows, this allows it to still shed heat as it sucks the heat from the nearest tubes, well as long as the fins are still attached.
note- its very difficult to solder a leak in an aluminium core, as the heat melts the solder in nearby tubes.

#12 ·
Hey temporarykiwi, I appreciate you sharing your experience. It makes sense that a car spitting up a rock could do in a radiator just as easily as a leading motorcycle. I just hadn't heard from anyone yet where that is how it happened. As for your 'chip-sealed' roads, we have those all over the USA, too. Seems like it should be an illegal way to re-do a road as it is so hazardous to motorcycles when it is freshly done, but that doesn't stop the road departments from going crazy with the tar and gravel and calling it 'good'. Just one more challenge we face on two wheels. If it weren't so fun to ride, I might worry about all the dangers and hazards and call it quits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.