LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 06-12-2018, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Help with Suspension Adjustment Specs

I really want to adjust the suspension settings for the front and rear on my bike as the stock settings aren't that great for me. I am 5'7" and weigh 167lbs. I want to know roughly what specs I should adjust to. Any input would be appreciated as I don't really know much about suspension. For example, How many clicks in which direction for each setting, etc.

1-2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250
2-2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
3-2016 Suzuki GSXS 1000
post #2 of 24 Old 06-12-2018, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Google is your friend! Upper right corner "Google Custom Search". Many threads here on the subject.
post #3 of 24 Old 06-12-2018, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Garage
I'm 150lbs, but I think a common theme is that the rear shock is pretty brutal as stock for anyone sub 180. I'm on the lowest spring tension and 1/2 turn on damping and it seems pretty good. I played with my fork preload and damping a little (down from stock because of my weight, and I can't remember the exact settings - I was pretty close to perfect sag after that), but it wasn't bad from the factory (I hate brake dive). Just my quick thoughts, but yea, there are threads about this, but don't let the "search nazis" keep you from asking questions. On every forum I've been on, eventually every question gets answered, so... if the search nazis had there way, it would be the end of the forum. People join to ask and have a conversation, not to be told to search.
LEAVEITSTOCK and dfossati like this.

post #4 of 24 Old 06-12-2018, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfossati View Post
I really want to adjust the suspension settings for the front and rear on my bike as the stock settings aren't that great for me. I am 5'7" and weigh 167lbs. I want to know roughly what specs I should adjust to. Any input would be appreciated as I don't really know much about suspension. For example, How many clicks in which direction for each setting, etc.
First thing to do is set the sag correctly, only once that is setup can the damping be set

Sag is setup related to your weight, whilst damping is more subjective and everyone differs in what they like best

Try this for setting up sag

GSX-S Suspension Sag Setup ? Suzuki GSX-S Info
mike d, dfossati and Packmule like this.
post #5 of 24 Old 06-12-2018, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
BTW,I'm originally from Idaho and visit there a couple times a year. I've done the Idaho City - Lowman loop, Galena summit, and around the Sawtooths, but I still haven't done and want to do Lolo pass. I know some great routes down here in Utah too, so if you ever want to do a trip down this way. PM me.
post #6 of 24 Old 06-13-2018, 01:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Best thing to do is learn about suspension & setting up your bike. Giving your weight and details is useless as nobody here can set your bike up for you. A book called Total Control by Lee Parks is a good read to educate yourself. Otherwise go to a suspension tuner and they will set it up for you
post #7 of 24 Old 06-13-2018, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
BTW,I'm originally from Idaho and visit there a couple times a year. I've done the Idaho City - Lowman loop, Galena summit, and around the Sawtooths, but I still haven't done and want to do Lolo pass. I know some great routes down here in Utah too, so if you ever want to do a trip down this way. PM me.
Oh, that's cool, I'm up here studying at BYUI right now. But I will be down in Salt Lake Area (Tooele, Utah) in July for the MotoAmerica Event and would totally be down to go for a ride. I will definitely PM you soon for that. And we can bask in the glory of our gixxesses? gixxi? Not sure what the plural form of gixxus is. lol.
mike d likes this.

2-2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
3-2016 Suzuki GSXS 1000
post #8 of 24 Old 06-13-2018, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
Best thing to do is learn about suspension & setting up your bike. Giving your weight and details is useless as nobody here can set your bike up for you. A book called Total Control by Lee Parks is a good read to educate yourself. Otherwise go to a suspension tuner and they will set it up for you
Well, I was hoping that someone of similar weight would be able to comment with their adjusted specs and I could try to go off that first and see how it feels. I would like to get a general idea so I don't mess up completely by being way off. Obviously, I would have to set it myself, but I guess I'm looking for some rough guidelines with specs and other rider's experience for someone that wants to learn how to do it himself for the first time. And I have been reading articles, looking at other threads, and watching videos to learn more, maybe I'll try out that book.

2-2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
3-2016 Suzuki GSXS 1000
post #9 of 24 Old 06-13-2018, 02:44 AM

Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I have never attempted to adjust the suspension on a bike before and so this will be my first time. In my research, I keep coming across the phrase "x number of clicks out." Does "clicks out" mean turn clockwise? Or does "clicks out" mean clockwise on the right side of the fork and counterclockwise on the left fork as pertaining to turning away from the bike? Probably a dumb question, but I'm not well versed in suspension. Also, your website is very cool, I have it bookmarked in my web browser. Another question, isn't sag adjusted while you change the preload and damping?
Sag is just about preload nothing to do with damping - damping only affects suspension whilst the suspension is moving - measuring Sag is static and needs to be done before anything else - all you need is a friend or 2 and a tape measure (and possible a cable tie)

"x clicks out" On our bikes, similar to most we have rebound at the top of the fork and compression at the bottom, all adjustments are the same - regardless of what side of teh bike or position.

Turn the adjuster clockwise till it stops - don't force it, then turn anticlockwise, you will feel clicks as you turn it, roughly every 90 degrees - x clicks out is x clicks anticlockwise from where it stopped turning clockwise.

To the sag first, it is factual and not subjective like damping - you want to aim for between 30 and 35 mm (but closer to 35) for the street for front and back
post #10 of 24 Old 06-13-2018, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Hello there
I have posted a video where a mechanic sets the suspension. It would fit your weight and height. On the front, set the preload to three rings showing, two not. . Compression and rebound 5 clicks out.S On the rear, set the preload to the lowest setting and rebound only half a click out
cheers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page