User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 07-29-2018, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy 2018 GSX S1000 Possible Oil Leak - Help!

Hey all,

I bought my bike about 2 months ago and it has 3400 miles on it. Last night after a ride and letting the bike sit in the garage for ~2 hours I noticed this little drip of oil from one of the breather tubes. I cleaned the tube with a paper towel to test it again today and had the same results.

The oil and filter were changed by the shop at 654 miles. the oil is reading between the High and Low marks.

Should I be really concerned? Should I get to 4k and take it in for the scheulded service and mention it or should I bring it in and hold off on riding it until then?

Thanks!
post #2 of 16 Old 07-29-2018, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Doesn’t look like enough oil on the ground to be too concerned to ride. But needs to be diagnosed. Maybe Phuket Paul will chime in here on where it’s coming from. Are you sure the oil level is correct? Checking with bike vertical?

Last edited by Rapido1; 07-29-2018 at 04:43 PM.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-29-2018, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I check the oil with the bike verticle after it has been off for a few minutes at a minimum.

post #4 of 16 Old 07-29-2018, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Thinking more about it, I don't think the drip is coming from that hose. Not positive, but I don't think any of those hoses have to do with oil, unless there was a major catastrophe of oil in the airbox.

Did you actually see/feel oil on the tip of that hose? Remember, liquids run to the lowest point, more likely it is coming from somewhere else. Did you check the oil drain bolt? the oil filter where it mates to the engine?

Anyways, it is such a small amount, not critical. Need to get under there and really inspect.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-29-2018, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Garage
It really look like it's coming from the crankcase breather hose. If that's the case it's perfectly normal. When you checked you oil level, was it normal? between the 2 lines?

Like Rapido1 said, I would check under the cowl to see if it's coming from another part of the bike instead of the Hose and would bing it to the dealer if it's not the hose. Also, there is nothing wrong in showing it to the mechanic at your dealership.

../Bruno

GSX-S1000F 2018 (my ride now)
F800GT 2015 (sold)
CB500X 2013 (sold)
post #6 of 16 Old 07-29-2018, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I appreciate it guys. It is 100% coming from the smaller of those two breathers. I don't know which is which.

Cleaned and checked twice and it's inside and on the smaller of the two.

No new drips at the moment oddly enough. I guess I'll point it out to the service tech in a week or two.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-29-2018, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
2018, take to the dealer should still be under warranty. They might say only original owner, depends on laws where you are, can't hurt to ask.

2016 GSXS1000FAL6
post #8 of 16 Old 07-29-2018, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
I had a drop of oil under my bike from the tube, but I am not sure if it was from me, or another bike where I parked because was at a biker bar. Im quite sure its fine. let me know if you hear anything I will look again, but I dont drop any oil in my garage I park in immediately after thats why I assumed the oil spot was maybe from a previous bike who parked there before me.

now I do believe its possible from hard romping to get oil into the crankcase hose from overflow. think about it, pressure build up.
frog4aday likes this.
post #9 of 16 Old 07-29-2018, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I'm going to just keep an eye on the oil level and bring it in for the 4k service and ask them about it.
post #10 of 16 Old 07-29-2018, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Garage
Where are you from?

Most bikes only have a water drain hose from the fuel tank on this side of the bike.

Only bikes with an EVAP canister have a second hose and that should only be fuel vapour so I don't know where the oil would be coming from unless the breather hose routing is different on the 2018

The crankcase breather is just routed back into the airbox and not to an open hose

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page