10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-10-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Chain longevity?

When should I be replacing it? Looks pretty good at 19k miles.
post #2 of 12 Old 06-11-2019, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Garage
See my post #3 here https://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/gsxs-...rand-pick.html

Blue Naked 2015 ABS model. PCV, Nitron Ntr-1 shock, MRA screen(modified) Puig crash bungs, HEL lines and EBC-HH pads, job done. (Riding since 1959.)
post #3 of 12 Old 06-11-2019, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Mine was replaced at 7100 miles but it was still in great shape. I wanted to swap to the 520 setup so that is why I swapped out chain and sprockets. About 20k is all I've ever seen one go before it begins to kink up and bind up with the tight spot.

2016 GSX-S1000

post #4 of 12 Old 06-11-2019, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
When should I be replacing it? Looks pretty good at 19k miles.
When you can't get the tension right as you have run out of adjustment marks on the tension block. There may be a more technical defnition such as the length of x number of links, but no idea what that would be.

As far as I know there is no specific age/mileage when it needs replacing as there are too many factors that affect it such as lubrication and throttle usage.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-11-2019, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks guys! I'm going to keep a close eye on it.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-11-2019, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Chain "stretch" is the most important criteria (in fact, it's the only criteria) I use in determining when a chain needs replacing.

A 520 (and 525 and 530) chain has a .625 pitch. That means that the link pins are .625 apart on a new chain. That means that a section of chain 25 links long will measure 15 inches from center-to-center on a new chain. As a chain wears, it will appear to "stretch" such that a 25-link length of chain will measure longer than 15 inches when worn (of course a chain doesn't actually stretch, but a worn chain appears to have stretched when measured with a tape measure).

The problem that occurs with continuing to use a worn chain is that the pitch (distance between links) on the chain no longer matches the pitch (distance between teeth) on the sprockets.

One thing about a sprocket is that the nominal pitch changes as you move outward in sprocket diameter from the valleys between the teeth toward the tips of the teeth, because the diameter increases as you move outward but the count of teeth doesn't change, so of course the distance between the teeth increases as you move outward. And that's exactly how the chain "adjusts" for the apparent "stretch" in its length as it wears - it starts riding higher in the sprocket towards the tips of the teeth until it finds a "pitch match" instead of riding down in the valleys between the teeth where it belongs. And that radically alters the wear pattern of the sprockets, causing the teeth to wear into a "cresting wave" shape. And that undesirable wear takes place rather quickly if you don't replace a worn chain before it stretches too much. So the price you pay for not replacing a worn chain is the cost of fresh sprockets too.

So the question becomes, "what is the acceptable limit of chain stretch"?

For myself, I use the rule of "1/8 inch of stretch in 15 inches" as my own gauge of when to replace the chain, i.e., if the chain wears to the point where I can measure 1/8 inch of stretch in any 15-inch length of chain, I replace the chain (a chain typically wears unevenly, so I measure it several places along its length). If I can measure 1/8 inch of stretch anywhere along the chain, I replace it.

If you're wondering where I came up with the "1/8 inch" rule, that's the general rule bicycle shops use when determining when a chain needs replacing. Bicycles have lots of sprockets in their drive line (not just two) so it can get really expensive to replace all the sprockets when the chain is allowed to stretch too much. Also, if you don't replace worn sprockets on a bicycle even a new chain will "skip" teeth.

For a data point, my road bicycle is 27 years old, has 89,000 miles on it and is only on its third chain (I keep my chains well lubed, which effectively prevents wear inside the links, which effectively prevents chain "stretch"). None of its sprockets have never needed replacing, because I've never ridden with a stretched chain.

As long as a chain hasn't stretched beyond some predetermined limit, there's no reason to replace it, regardless of its age.
Rusty, Beaker, mike d and 2 others like this.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-12-2019, 02:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
i would always recomend replacing sprockets with a worn chain, or you will soon have two worn chains
post #8 of 12 Old 06-12-2019, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
This! Mandatory! I would never do one without the other. Keep it clean, and it’ll last a long time. I’ve seen chains go 25000 miles. I’ve also seen them fail with less than 5000 miles (not mine). How it’s treated, power and bike weight are a huge factor. Sprocket wear is how I monitor chain condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporarykiwi View Post
i would always recomend replacing sprockets with a worn chain, or you will soon have two worn chains

post #9 of 12 Old 06-12-2019, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
You've already gotten more life from your GSX-S chain than I ever did on my CBR929RR (about 12K on that and it was done.) Ways I knew my chain was done? Leaving stops I'd hear 'clicking' and 'clacking' as I let the clutch out to accelerate away. That was the 'worn' chain taking up the slack. Also, while 'not' racing a Porsche Boxster in a Colorado canyon, it felt like my wheels were 'out-of-round' in every corner! That was weird. But it was the chain going through tight spots and loose spots. Sure sign the chain was done. On my DL-650 I knew the chain was done when my miles per gallon went from 50mpg to 40mpg. Replaced the chain and it went back to 50mpg. Wild.

Want a chain to last 36,000 or longer? Get a SCOTTOILER! Those things rock. Put one on the CBR929 and had 36,000 miles on a chain and it was still going strong. The savings in chains and sprockets paid for that Scottoiler and then some. I've got one to put on the GSX-S1000 but have been 'lazy' about getting around to it. This thread is reminding me why I need to get un-lazy and get it done.
https://www.scottoiler.com/us/products/
I have the 'old' v-System type (uses engine vacuum.) Now they have some other systems (eSystem & xSystem) that run off electricity I'm guessing. Probably nice, too, but the vacuum system works fine.
Barstewardsquad likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-17-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Frog, thanks for the link and the recommendation. Impressive website. Chain maintenance is becoming more of a chore to me especially with no center stand. I like the v system over the others because it is cheaper and no battery drain. But is cutting into the MAP sensor vacuum hose an ok thing to do? I do not want reliability issues just cause I'm lazy with chain maintenance. When you get around to installing yours I hope you will let us know how it goes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page