LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 07-09-2019, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
PAIR valve question

This is a two part question.

#1- I have the bodywork pulled and am prepared to raise the tank to plug the PAIR valve. It is supposed to be on the RH side of the air box but I don't know what to look for. Can someone provide some details of exactly what I am looking for and what I need to do. A picture would be best. I think I am supposed to unplug a hose and insert a marble and plug it back up.

#2- I wasn't thinking when I pulled the bodywork to do this mod before realizing there is more fuel in the tank than I had when I pulled the ECU. I remember if you have too much fuel some fuel can leak out when you tilt up the tank. I have exactly 100 miles on the odometer since filling up so that means I have about a half a tank of fuel. Will it be possible for me to raise the tank enough to plug the PAIR valve without spilling fuel or should I ride the bike another 50 miles before raising the tank?

thanks
post #2 of 29 Old 07-09-2019, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
You can still lift the tank as normal, just much heavier with fuel. Have a wooden dowel or something ready to hold the tank propped up.

There are threads on the PAIR valve marble with pics, just google it on the Forum.
post #3 of 29 Old 07-10-2019, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.g View Post
This is a two part question.

#1- I have the bodywork pulled and am prepared to raise the tank to plug the PAIR valve. It is supposed to be on the RH side of the air box but I don't know what to look for. Can someone provide some details of exactly what I am looking for and what I need to do. A picture would be best. I think I am supposed to unplug a hose and insert a marble and plug it back up.

#2- I wasn't thinking when I pulled the bodywork to do this mod before realizing there is more fuel in the tank than I had when I pulled the ECU. I remember if you have too much fuel some fuel can leak out when you tilt up the tank. I have exactly 100 miles on the odometer since filling up so that means I have about a half a tank of fuel. Will it be possible for me to raise the tank enough to plug the PAIR valve without spilling fuel or should I ride the bike another 50 miles before raising the tank?

thanks
I lifted the tank without leakage at around the same mileage.

Marble goes at the arrow. I used vacuum caps instead, 3/4" on hose, 5/8" on airbox port, assorted pack at O'Reilly for like $4.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 29 Old 07-10-2019, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the great information. I will consider the vacuum caps as well. I hope to finish up later tonight so I will post an update afterwards.

I actually am not sure if I can find a marble at home. If I have to go buy marbles (don't think I can buy just one) wouldn't I be better off getting the caps?

Last edited by tom.g; 07-10-2019 at 09:06 AM.
post #5 of 29 Old 07-10-2019, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the great information. I will consider the vacuum caps as well. I hope to finish up later tonight so I will post an update afterwards.

I actually am not sure if I can find a marble at home. If I have to go buy marbles (don't think I can buy just one) wouldn't I be better off getting the caps?
Anything that plugs the tube will do. I used a screw in my SV1000, worked fine.

When life throws you curves, lean into them.
post #6 of 29 Old 07-10-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Related question: I had my ECU re-flashed by Dano's a few weeks ago. The throttle is much smoother and the bike is much more enjoyable now but it can "hunt" or do the "jitter bug" at small throttle openings at low speeds. I emailed Danos about the issue and he said to plug the PAIR valve and report back to him. How do you all feel about plugging the PAIR valve actually helping with this issue? It isn't really noticeable until you go thru a small town or in traffic where you find yourself running maybe 35 mph in 3rd or 4th gear. The tach will bounce up and down. Kind of annoying. My local shop mechanic seems to think the PAIR valve can certainly effect the issue I am having. Do most owners plug the PAIR valve when having any type of ECU work done? Any thoughts are appreciated.
Braaperino likes this.
post #7 of 29 Old 07-10-2019, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Related question: I had my ECU re-flashed by Dano's a few weeks ago. The throttle is much smoother and the bike is much more enjoyable now but it can "hunt" or do the "jitter bug" at small throttle openings at low speeds. I emailed Danos about the issue and he said to plug the PAIR valve and report back to him. How do you all feel about plugging the PAIR valve actually helping with this issue? It isn't really noticeable until you go thru a small town or in traffic where you find yourself running maybe 35 mph in 3rd or 4th gear. The tach will bounce up and down. Kind of annoying. My local shop mechanic seems to think the PAIR valve can certainly effect the issue I am having. Do most owners plug the PAIR valve when having any type of ECU work done? Any thoughts are appreciated.
Plugging the PAIR is really common when you get the bike tuned and put on an after market system. I cuts down on the air being slammed into the exhaust to meet regulations.

When I finally get my Yoshi header in I am definitely going to be blocking off mine. As far as just blocking it with the factory system still in place I am not sure.
post #8 of 29 Old 07-10-2019, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, I am not sure either. My local dealer (mechanic) and Danos certainly seem to think it could be causing the issue. I will report back after I get the valve plugged to report the results. I hope it does the trick. Danos recommends going to the dealer to check for other issues if this does not work. The first question Danos asked me when I emailed him about the "hunting" was "what type of exhausts do you have?" Is it the stock exhaust.
post #9 of 29 Old 07-10-2019, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Garage
Try cruising at 35 in 1st.
post #10 of 29 Old 07-10-2019, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
With a full system the PAIR system can cause pop's and bangs which will get the attention of the fuzz. I grabbed this to try solve that. Not installed it yet but it looks well made.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page