GSXS 1000 Forum banner

Battery

4K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Reagenn 
#1 ·
Dear all,
Next week I should go one month out for business trip then I should leave 1 month my Bike in garage, with my previous bike I could take out just 1 fuse and the battery was off then I ask if possible with the Gsxs1000 to do the same?
Thanks
Cheers

#2 ·
You could just remove the positive lead from the battery. I really wouldn't worry about it if gone just a month unless its really hot or cold in your garage. My bike has sat a month before and started right up as usual. For longer term storage use a battery tender to keep the battery healthy and charged.

#3 ·
Would it matter if he pulled the POSITIVE (+) or the NEGATIVE (-) lead from the battery? I only ask because it is generally safer to remove the negative lead FIRST then the positive, and in this case, once the negative lead was unfastened, the circuit to the battery is no longer complete, so no need to touch the positive lead. (Less risk of being shocked by pulling the negative lead anyway, which is why I bring it up.)

It wouldn't hurt to put some STA-BIL fuel stabilizer in the gas tank, too, just so the fuel doesn't go bad on you. Not sure where you live, but in the USA, a lot of our fuel has ethanol in it and it starts to degrade in two to three weeks (separates out and loses octane rating.)

#11 ·
One quick question to you.
Can someone from here check the voltage at the battery:
1. when the engine is running at idle speed;
2. when the engine is running between 2000 and 3000 RPM;
3. when the engine is running at idle speed AND THE FAN IS SPINNING.

I check the voltage at the battery in these 3 situations and I found the following values: 14.55; 14.61; 13.35.
The last value for voltage (when fan was spinning) seems a little bit unusual.
I was expecting to have at the battery same voltage all the time, even the fan is spinning or not.

I'm asking you this because last time when I heard the fan starting to spin, it was spinning at lower RPM and it has increased its RPM when I increase the engine RPMs.

Battery is 3 years old, but it seems to be in good shape (12.54 V after a week or two condition with the (-) lead disconnected).

#14 ·
As far as what lead to remove here is my take. If you remove the negative lead and leave the positive lead attached to the battery you are leaving the potential of the circuit connected. If your ground lead touched the frame you have completed the circuit. If you remove the positive lead and get it away from the positive terminal of the battery it can touch the frame all day long. Both leads grounded does not complete the circuit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.