LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 09-06-2019, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Battery

Dear all,
Next week I should go one month out for business trip then I should leave 1 month my Bike in garage, with my previous bike I could take out just 1 fuse and the battery was off then I ask if possible with the Gsxs1000 to do the same?
Thanks
Cheers
post #2 of 19 Old 09-06-2019, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
You could just remove the positive lead from the battery. I really wouldn't worry about it if gone just a month unless its really hot or cold in your garage. My bike has sat a month before and started right up as usual. For longer term storage use a battery tender to keep the battery healthy and charged.
mike d likes this.
post #3 of 19 Old 09-06-2019, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Would it matter if he pulled the POSITIVE (+) or the NEGATIVE (-) lead from the battery? I only ask because it is generally safer to remove the negative lead FIRST then the positive, and in this case, once the negative lead was unfastened, the circuit to the battery is no longer complete, so no need to touch the positive lead. (Less risk of being shocked by pulling the negative lead anyway, which is why I bring it up.)

It wouldn't hurt to put some STA-BIL fuel stabilizer in the gas tank, too, just so the fuel doesn't go bad on you. Not sure where you live, but in the USA, a lot of our fuel has ethanol in it and it starts to degrade in two to three weeks (separates out and loses octane rating.)

post #4 of 19 Old 09-07-2019, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharger View Post
You could just remove the positive lead from the battery. I really wouldn't worry about it if gone just a month unless its really hot or cold in your garage. My bike has sat a month before and started right up as usual. For longer term storage use a battery tender to keep the battery healthy and charged.
Thanks Supercharger, I would try it, I park the motorbike in the public garage of my apartment so cannot use a battery tender..
post #5 of 19 Old 09-07-2019, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog4aday View Post
Would it matter if he pulled the POSITIVE (+) or the NEGATIVE (-) lead from the battery? I only ask because it is generally safer to remove the negative lead FIRST then the positive, and in this case, once the negative lead was unfastened, the circuit to the battery is no longer complete, so no need to touch the positive lead. (Less risk of being shocked by pulling the negative lead anyway, which is why I bring it up.)

It wouldn't hurt to put some STA-BIL fuel stabilizer in the gas tank, too, just so the fuel doesn't go bad on you. Not sure where you live, but in the USA, a lot of our fuel has ethanol in it and it starts to degrade in two to three weeks (separates out and loses octane rating.)
Dear @frog4aday thanks for your suggestion then is better is i take out the fuel from the tank?
post #6 of 19 Old 09-07-2019, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjay View Post
Dear @frog4aday thanks for your suggestion then is better is i take out the fuel from the tank?
IMHO, it's better to top off the tank and put stabil in. An empty tank can allow condensation and humidity to cause rust.

That's my winter ritual.
frog4aday and jpdx like this.
post #7 of 19 Old 09-07-2019, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Fill tank, add fuel stabilizer, disconnect negative battery terminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
IMHO, it's better to top off the tank and put stabil in. An empty tank can allow condensation and humidity to cause rust. That's my winter ritual.

This right here ^^^ @mike d beat me to it. Best to completely FILL the tank and then put in the fuel stabilizer. Helps prevent tank rust and keep your fuel fresh. Good luck!
mike d likes this.
post #8 of 19 Old 09-07-2019, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
I think OP lives in Japan
post #9 of 19 Old 09-07-2019, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Removing either positive or negative should be OK as it requires both to complete a circuit. The only reason repair technicians remove the negative first is so they don't accidentally ground out the positive terminal while using a wrench to remove the nut from it...
oldjackbob likes this.
post #10 of 19 Old 09-07-2019, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I always remove the battery Negative(-) first and put it back in last to prevent any accidental sparks
frog4aday likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page