Sump plug - Page 2 - Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum
User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 Old 11-30-2019, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
@Paul Rothon , don't worry about aluminum filings as your bike is going to be fine and if there IS anything (tiny traces of anything) your filter will catch it. Looking at the plug, I doubt any filings got into your sump. Just not enough 'damage' there for that to happen.

Was this from the FIRST/INITIAL oil change on the bike? I only ask because I think a gorilla with a 'breaker bar' tightened my sump plug (oil drain plug) at the factory. I swear I don't know how they didn't strip the hole as tight as the bolt was in there. And the crush washer was so flattened, getting it off the bolt was a story in itself and I think that's what happened to your bolt. It was in so tight, the wrench slipped a time or two during removal. Then they couldn't get the crush washer off and were trying to grip the bolt with one set of pliers and get the crush washer off with another set of pliers, or cut it off with dikes (diagonal cutters.) You are doing the right thing. Replace the bolt and move on with life. Nothing to worry about.
post #12 of 13 Old 11-30-2019, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Kinda funny....mine was just the opposite. It was not tight at all. I'm surprised it didn't leak or come off from vibration. The Oil filter was the same way. I was prepared for the "fight" and it came off like it was only hand tight. Yes I did go around the bike and check EVERYTHING else!!!!
post #13 of 13 Old 11-30-2019, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
@Live2Race20 , that is funny. And kind of sad. You would hope the consistency from the production line would be better. Everything torqued to the same specs, using tools specially set for that part/component. I guess not. Good thing you went ahead and checked everything else.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page