• 2 Post By OldBobagain

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-09-2020, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Suspension help - GSX S1000F

I am hoping someone can give me some suggestions about setting up my stock suspension. I am 200 lbs and a fairly aggressive rider. Since I live in Chattanooga I mainly ride mountain roads, so I'm looking for a starting base setting that would be best for my style of riding and terrain. Any help would be appreciated.
post #2 of 6 Old 02-09-2020, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Garage
My suggestion is to find a motorcycle shop to set it for you. Cycle Gear locally has a guy that comes by on bike night to do it. I took mine to a shop, that I’m friends with the owner who set it up. You need to be on the bike, freestanding, and have someone to measure so the sag can be set. Find someone local that does a lot of track days is a possibility. Usually it only cost between $25 and $40 to do and it will be done properly. Anything else is a internet guess. .02

Slow is fast
post #3 of 6 Old 02-09-2020, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Firstly you need an assistant, put a cable tie around 1 fork leg and a small piece of masking tape on the seat cowl directly above the axle
With the bike upright and the rider sitting in the riding position push the tie up the fork leg as far as it will go . dismount. Now lift the front until the forks are fully extended, measure the distance from the top to the tie, should be about 20mm, adjust preload up or down until you have that measurement
Now go to the back, lift the rear so that the shock is fully extended and measure the distance from the centre of the axle to the mark you put on the tape, now with the rider sitting on the bike measure the same distance, it should be about 15mm,adjust the preload until you have that measurement. Now go for a ride, does the bike hold a line but needs a lot of countersteer to turn in, if so reduce the preload on the front, 1/2 turn at a time until it only needs slight pressure on the bars for it to turn in. If it falls in too easy then apply more preload. Just make small adjustments at a time . then adjust the compression and rebound damping to get the ride you want
mike d and Talisker like this.

Last edited by OldBobagain; 02-10-2020 at 12:17 AM.

post #4 of 6 Old 02-09-2020, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks guys for. your help. - rock
post #5 of 6 Old 02-10-2020, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
some dont count free sag its deducted anyway. so not sure whats right...bike is stiff even on softest settings .....id think at 200 pounds riding the twistys hard the stock settings is pretty close
post #6 of 6 Old Yesterday, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Using preload once the force in the spring is equal to the load then you can't add more force, what you are doing is extending the shock to adjust ride height, ie sag

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page