GSXS 1000 Forum banner

DELETE - Thread is Dead; too confusing; starting over

10K views 62 replies 17 participants last post by  gritty 
#1 ·
Selling: 2016 GSX-S1000A (naked model with ABS & traction control)
Located in Kerrville, TX (one hour west of San Antonio, on I-10)

$5800 or shoot me an offer (mipatcole at JUNO dot com)

1,256 miles
Clean title; never crashed or dropped; near showroom condition (see pics)

Some extras on it:

• Suzuki OEM ‘Sport Screen’ (also called a ‘lens meter screen’) - $169.95 on Suzuki Accessory website
  • GSX-S Logo Carbon Fiber Tank Pad; $49.95 on Suzuki Accessory website
  • Carbon (look) Fuel Cap Decal; $24.95 on Suzuki Accessory website
  • Swingarm Spool Set (black); $13.95 on Suzuki Accessory website
  • Shogun Frame Sliders (black); $35.99 on Cycle Gear website
  • Tail tidy/Fender eliminator
+Bike has had the oil & filter changed twice (once at 600 miles and again at 1,100 miles)
+Bike has both factory keys & the factory tool kit
+Bike is always garaged & on a battery tender.
+Stabil goes in the gas at every fill up. Bike always gets PREMIUM UNLEADED fuel.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks all. The GSX-S is great. I love it. It brings a smile to my face every time I ride it. But it is my second bike and I'm riding very little lately. When I do ride, I've been jumping on the Super Tenere more often then not. The final straw was work. I'm self employed. Normally my 'busy' periods are Spring and Fall. I had a great Spring but very little work has come my way for the Fall. Assuming that isn't going to change, I need some money to get through the winter. Sadly, that means the GSX-S1K needs to find a loving home.

(Princess kissed me...I like it! If only...)

#6 ·
Thanks all. The GSX-S is great. I love it. It brings a smile to my face every time I ride it. But it is my second bike and I'm riding very little lately. When I do ride, I've been jumping on the Super Tenere more often then not. The final straw was work. I'm self employed. Normally my 'busy' periods are Spring and Fall. I had a great Spring but very little work has come my way for the Fall. Assuming that isn't going to change, I need some money to get through the winter. Sadly, that means the GSX-S1K needs to find a loving home.

(Princess kissed me...I like it! If only...)
I hope your work picks up for you soon. I can imagine the Tenere is fantastic for ADV and distance, and owning more bikes always has it's drawbacks (maintenance, where to put them, cost of extras, etc.).
It's will be a great deal for someone.

Stick around and make fun of us GSX-S lovers every now and then. ;)

#7 ·
Hey Mike D,
Thanks for the post. I appreciate it. I like the people on this forum, so I'll be popping in periodically to see who is doing what.
The Super Tenere is a versatile bike. I hope I don't have to sell it, too. The GSX-S is so much faster and more 'fun' for a day ride, but the Tenere does better on longer trips and can handle some mild off-road, too. It was hard to chose, but the GSXS is worth more money and is in better condition (like new, really.) I'm hoping I can pick up some work still before the holidays, but they usually schedule me several months in advance, so not looking great at the moment. Just how life is at times. We do what we need to do to get by and hope for better days ahead.

#8 ·
I had one of the very first Super Teneres sold back under the PDP program. Mine was a 2012 number 375 and I waited 10 months to get it. Rode it 41k miles not one problem. I rode it all over the US. Sold it to a good friend who has over 50k miles on it.

Super Tenere was a way better road bike than my current Africa Twin. Super T was a big girl though and a hand full for me off road. The Africa Twin ain't much better off road regardless of what the internet says.

#9 ·
Hey Roy, you were a true "early" adopter on the Tenere! I test rode one and loved it back in 2011, I think (dealer demo rides.) But I hated the spoked wheels so I put off getting one for a long time. My buddy got a 2012 and he raved about it and after three years of his spokes staying straight and true, I decided to take the chance. Sold a DL1000 and a CBR954 to get a 'leftover' 2013 model (white/red) and I really like it. I cut the windscreen way down and cut a 'naca duct' in it to cut the windblast & turbulence. Then I had the ECU flashed and that really 'woke' it up in SPORT mode, making it a lot more fun to ride. I have about 17,500 mi on it but have ridden it very little in the past year and a half.

I was hoping the GSX-S1000 would help me find the 'joy' in riding again and I have to admit, it did. Having a 'sportbike' again (without the origami riding position) was a blast. But I still haven't been riding near as much as I used to. I've been at this since 1987 and I wonder sometimes if I'm just "done" with bikes. I don't know. Doesn't matter at the moment as finances are driving my decisions for me. I'll hold onto the Tenere until Spring (if I can). If I'm still not back into riding, I guess it'll go, too. I have had the Tenere on some off-road adventures in Colorado and west Texas. What I've learned is...I'm not much of a 'dirt-bike' guy, ha!

Putting this thread back on track - SOMEONE NEEDS TO BUY THIS BEAUTIFUL 2016 Naked Gixxus! (1,256 miles...practically new.)

#17 ·
What a nice bike at a quick sell price. I would have rather bought it and saved a couple grand over the new one I just got.:( Bikes are pretty much my only hobby lately ,so have bought and sold quite a few over the last 8 years.

Trying to give helpful advice, I will say have had no luck selling on a forum, mostly because nearly everyone there already has one.

I do better on Cycletrader, and if you have the patience, Craigslist, once you screen out the losers .
It helps greatly to specify cash only, no trades..

Good luck, it should sell easily one way or another.

#18 ·
Hey Moleeye,
You make a good observation - most everyone on here already has a GSX-S1000 so trying to sell it on the forum is a long shot. But you never know. Someone pitches their ride down the road and they want another one, and here I am to help out ;)

I do have it listed on CycleTrader and Craigslist. It got flagged off CL twice now. I have no idea why. I keep shortening the ad and it has lasted three days this go round. So many scammers on CL. It's tedious. But lots of lookers, so a good place to advertise.

I've heard "Marketplace" on FakeBook is good, too, but I don't have a FakeBook account.

I've thought about eBay. Might try that when my 'free' CycleTrader ad expires. I'm hoping someone on here, CL, or CycleTrader come through. I did try to price it to actually sell. Some nibbles so far, but nothing actionable.

#19 ·
Yeah, I always price my bikes cheaper than anyone else's ad which is what you've done, and so far they always sell.

I just sold a nice 2016 1290 SDR, priced it at 8999, filtered through the CL lowballs and sold it @ 8500.
The guy that bought it was a couple hundred miles away, and said he saw the ad in both CL and Cycletrader.
I had a backup buyer in Miami also, he was a CL responder.

I would have loved to have seen a bike like yours a doable distance away before I committed to my deal !

#21 ·
Hey OldJackBob,
Thanks for putting a bug in your co-worker's ear. It's worth the drive to get a clean, good bike at a low price. Besides, he could stay for a day and ride the three twisted sisters before heading back to DFW. Fun way to get to know the bike!

#24 ·
Ken posted to TWT? Awesome, lol! I will go post there myself and ask him to pull his post so it doesn't look like some weird, third-party scam thing. I forgot all about TWT which makes no sense. Great people there. I got on and saw my last post was from 2003 when I was still in the Air Force, riding a CBR929 (Fireblade to our world readers). That seems like a lifetime ago!

The chance to book a job before Christmas is slipping away. I'm usually booked months in advance, so kind of depressing. I suppose there could be a last minute 'emergency' job pop up and that would be great. I'm just not counting on that. It has only happened once before. Still...with enough people sending good karma my way...maybe!

Got out to ride the Super Tenere yesterday with Ken. (Didn't want to dirty up the GSX-S.) Went to Utopia for breakfast and the ride down was good, as it was overcast. But while we were eating, the sun came out and it was 96 degrees (35.5 celsius) and humid by the time we got back to Kerrville. UGH. Can't wait for October to get here.

You know what would be fun to ride in the cool mornings around Texas? A nice 2016 GSX-R1000 with ABS & traction control. I wonder where a guy or gal could pick one up for less than $6,000? ;)

#25 ·
Frog, I just learned today that the guy I spoke about earlier is no longer with the company...he was a contract engineer and his last day was Friday.

I hadn't seen him for a couple of months (that's not unusual for contractors, they move around frequently within the company) and was asking about him today and was told he's gone.

Sorry dude, I truly meant well...

#30 ·
Gold Bullion it is!
(I wish...)
I'm getting no traction with selling the GSX-S1000. I have it posted in several locations and I'm the lowest price I can find, lowest mileage I can find, and best condition I can find. But still no nibbles.
So I'm "re-thinking" things. I believe I will try to sell the 2013 Yamaha Super Tenere instead. Perhaps I will have more luck moving that bike.

With that in mind, I am sending the GSX-S1K Corbin seat back to Corbin for modifications. Hopefully they can get it sorted so I like it. As it came from them, it slides me forward toward the tank til my nuts hit, then I have to push myself back. Tedious. Uncomfortable. Frustrating. If they can 'level it out' a bit so I sit 'neutral', then the GSX-S1000 can be my everything bike and the Tenere can be let go.

If the seat comes back from Corbin 'no better', which has happened before with an FZ-1 seat I bought from them, then I'm torn on what to do. We'll see.

But...let's go with the "He found gold bullion" story and see how many long lost relatives find me!

#31 ·
As it came from them, it slides me forward toward the tank til my nuts hit, then I have to push myself back. Tedious. Uncomfortable. Frustrating. If they can 'level it out' a bit so I sit 'neutral', then the GSX-S1000 can be my everything bike and the Tenere can be let go.

If the seat comes back from Corbin 'no better', which has happened before with an FZ-1 seat I bought from them, then I'm torn on what to do. We'll see.
Have you tried the Saddleman GP-V1? It definitely rolls your hips back for a more neutral position. Although I sold mine, it wasn't for lack of comfort or ergonomics. I switched back to the stock seat and find myself having to reset my arse as I slide forward all day long, much like your experience with the Corbin.

In hindsight I probably should have just recovered the Saddlemen with a different material.

#33 ·
If I remember right, there's somebody out there that will take your stock seat and replace the foam with one that's more dense. For me (200lbs), the Saddleman is only good for a few hours, but after that I'm starting to feel it. I contacted Seth Laam, but haven't heard back. He did a great job on my Honda ST-1300 seat.

#34 ·
Can anyone build a seat worth a dang?

I felt the same (Saddleman good for an hour to 90 minutes.) But the seating position was good, it just needed more dense foam and they would have had a winner. So frustrating. People think they want the seat 'soft'. But that's exactly wrong. If you get on it and it feels FIRM, then you have a good seat. Soft just means it collapses faster and your butt is sitting on the saddle pan sooner. Useless.

It's kind of like the windscreen thing. People say, "This thing is noisy" and figure they need to go BIGGER with the windscreen. Nope. Should be cutting it down, SHORTER. Get the wind below your head and the turbulence goes away and the 'wind noise' diminishes significantly.

I had heard of these people that will re-work your stock seat for less than a custom job. I guess i was too lazy to call and check them out. Figured Corbin might actually get one right (they didn't.) They have great foam, but I don't know how they settle on a seat design and shape. And another guy on here got the Corbin and claimed he and his wife (he did two-up riding) really liked it. Maybe he got the "A-team" to build his Corbin and I got the Friday at 3pm "B-team" doing mine. I don't know.

But I think this is my last Corbin. I've had to send EVERY SINGLE ONE BACK for adjustment. On my CBR929, they 'nailed it' the second time. It was perfect. I loved that seat! Best seat I've ever owned for any motorcycle (out of the 16 I've had.) I guess that's why I keep giving them a 'second chance'. I know they CAN do a great seat. I'm just not having much luck being the guy to GET that great seat. Fingers crossed they can get the GSX-S1000 seat 'right' and I can then 'love it'. If not, I'll sell it on FleaBay and try to find someone to work over my OEM seat.

#36 ·
Well, it sounds like YOUR corbin isn't sliding you into the tank to play nut-buster all day. I swear I have the worst luck with them. (Corbin...not my nuts ;) )

I have a Saddlemen seat (GSX-S1000) for sale, too. I just find it frustrating. They built a good seat, they just needed to use a more dense (firmer) foam in it and it would have been awesome. Still, for a lighter guy, it is better than the OEM seat, so perhaps I'm just not the 'right' customer for it.

#38 ·
I've had custom a Corbin seat and a custom Laam seat made for previous bikes. I liked them because the stock seats, on those bikes, really sucked. I'm just not that dissatisfied with the stock seat yet, and given the reviews of the aftermarket alternatives, I think I'll stick with what I've got for now. Corbin makes a great seat, but the communications with the factory (for me) was non-existent once my seat was ordered (and a very long wait time). The end result was fine (it was for a cruiser). Laam makes a great seat, strickly custom, too, and much better communication than Corbin. In fact Laam himself talked with me on the phone for about 45 minutes to make sure he understood what I really wanted/needed. I don't know if he makes one for the GSX-S1000. His web site doesn't really have a UI for selecting bike so you would have to contact him. If I decided I wanted a custom seat for my GSX-S, I would definitely contact him again.

#40 ·
Laam custom seats

<SNIPPED STUFF> Laam makes a great seat, strickly custom, too, and much better communication than Corbin. In fact Laam himself talked with me on the phone for about 45 minutes to make sure he understood what I really wanted/needed. I don't know if he makes one for the GSX-S1000. His web site doesn't really have a UI for selecting bike so you would have to contact him. If I decided I wanted a custom seat for my GSX-S, I would definitely contact him again.
Hey Mike,
Thanks for telling me this. When you say you'd call LAAM again if you needed a seat, that's a good testimonial. If Corbin drops the ball on the 'seat adjustment', I'll be contacting LAAM to see how much to modify my stock seat. It really shouldn't be that complicated. I'm not trying to turn the GSX-S into an "Iron Butt" ride. I just want to be able to sit for more than 45 minutes without thinking, "This seat is not very good."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.