LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 Old 03-03-2019, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Geoff View Post
Sorry, Trump is still here on November 3rd
Trump is going to be here a long time. The Dems have gone stark raving bonkers and seem to be doing all they can to out-do each other on the fastest way to destroy the US economy.

Were you aware that life will cease to exist on the planet in 12 years if Dems don't get their way on the green new deal? The Dems also just voted against a bill to protect a babies life AFTER it has been born. Hopefully you folks recognize that as infanticide/murder in NZ. IN the USA, the Dem party calls it protecting the health of the Mother....by killing a baby already born.

Trump, for all his warts, is still far more tethered to reality than the Democrat party.

Haha
Packmule likes this.
post #22 of 30 Old 03-06-2019, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Geoff, just read on your site that you made the purchase of the KTM. How does it compare to the Suzuki? Hopefully you will still be checking in on this forum, I know when you no longer have the bike the forum relates to there is not much reason to come here anymore!!!! Let us know. Love your writing style and being the same age I certainly relate!!!
Kiwi Geoff likes this.
post #23 of 30 Old 03-06-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2Race20 View Post
Geoff, just read on your site that you made the purchase of the KTM. How does it compare to the Suzuki? Hopefully you will still be checking in on this forum, I know when you no longer have the bike the forum relates to there is not much reason to come here anymore!!!! Let us know. Love your writing style and being the same age I certainly relate!!!
Many thanks for the kind words, it's quite good fun writing about bikes and other stuff after a lifetime of boring technical and academic reports!

I can only do a comparison using my particular needs as a baseline as everyone's "fitness for purpose is different". In my case, being an ageing shortarse, getting a lighter bike was my priority. I'll do a proper evaluation on my blog in the next few weeks as I only brought it home yesterday. I covered 160 km of mainly country roads and the last 50 km home was on a largely deserted twisty coastal road. It was on this stretch that I found myself laughing out loud through sheer joy at the way it handled, even if I was still scrubbing in the tyres. It's nicknamed "The Scalpel" for a good reason. Its 169 kg weight and geometry makes its handling amazing compared with the Suzuki, largely because of mass differences. Although it's well down on power compared with the GSX-S, performance is less marked for most conditions than you might think because of the power to weight ratio. The 435 degree "big bang" motor delivers a surprising amount of torque too.

In the blog post you mention, I wrote a non-PC paragraph comparing it to a rough chick you pick up in a pub in your 20's. Exciting, but you wouldn't her take home to meet your Mum. That sort of sums up the KTM . It's just so different to the Suzuki. All I can say is that if you see one available as a demonstrator, take it out and give it a hiding!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0093.jpg (221.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0096.jpg (281.8 KB, 17 views)
dekker, mike d and Live2Race20 like this.

post #24 of 30 Old 03-06-2019, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Hi Geoff,
Congratulation's on the new wheels.
A change of brand is a good tonic as most bikes tend to get the same DNA as each other model of the make . Cars are the same.
Looking at your second pic makes me ask the question I posed earlier : Does the sitting on the bike while riding force the family jewels hard against the tank due to the seats slope or does it sit more level once your weight is on it ?
The second pic it doesn't look sloping in that negative direction at all, with a decent amount of seat padding between the rider and the tank.
But those death mask headlights are not my style, but like the 1000F, you don't see it while riding do you ?

Rob.
post #25 of 30 Old 03-06-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks Rob! This is my first KTM as I've always been a bit leery of their quality assurance processes but over the last couple of years, they seem to have got their act together. Nope, the family jewels are fine and it's not unlike the GSX-S in terms of general ergonomics. Leg room is similar to the Gixxer after I put on the lowered pegs - perhaps even a tad better. Riding the bike home 160 km from the dealer was perfectly comfortable on my arse too!

The LED headlight looks like a preying mantis head! Apparently, they work really well. I don't think that the KTM looks as attractive as either the GSX-S or my other choice, the 765 Triple. It wasn't until I gave the demo model a fair workout and saw just what it was capable of delivering that I just had to have it! Life's a bit of a mystery and full of surprises sometimes, isn't it?

Cheers,

Geoff
oldjackbob likes this.
post #26 of 30 Old 03-06-2019, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
glad u like it KG, I was going to buy a s duke r but was put off by stories of no, think fact, no warranty on electronics, and cost of parts like 700 for a new LED headlamp, some mates have tried this this type of exotica, Ducati and BMW and been stung fixing electronic issues, interested as to how u get on, probably fun and udgaf so enjoy
Kiwi Geoff likes this.

mike

video link
post #27 of 30 Old 03-06-2019, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quatro View Post
glad u like it KG, I was going to buy a s duke r but was put off by stories of no, think fact, no warranty on electronics, and cost of parts like 700 for a new LED headlamp, some mates have tried this this type of exotica, Ducati and BMW and been stung fixing electronic issues, interested as to how u get on, probably fun and udgaf so enjoy
Always a risk with new hardware but I don't need it for commuting, just my work with IAM. Are you sure about no warranty on electronics in the UK? That would be illegal in NZ under consumer law.
post #28 of 30 Old 03-06-2019, 08:13 PM

look here

https://www.ktm-bikes.at/en/service/warranty.html

speak to ur dealer, am not a lawyer, so u can trust me

mike

video link
post #29 of 30 Old 03-06-2019, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quatro View Post
look here

https://www.ktm-bikes.at/en/service/warranty.html

speak to ur dealer, am not a lawyer, so u can trust me
I'm not sure that I do trust you - that's a warranty for their bicycle range . Even if it was identical to their motorcycles, they can't opt out of national consumer protection laws (if you have one). In NZ, it's the Consumer Guarantees Act. https://www.consumerprotection.govt....uarantees-act/

Anyway, I hope I don't have the need to test it with the KTM. However, when my Suzuki had the well-known terrible snatch problem when I bought it, that's why Suzuki replaced the ECM immediately at their cost. Completely fixed. So it's not just exotica that has the occasional problem, is it?
post #30 of 30 Old 03-06-2019, 08:39 PM

good luck fella, hope u keep us updated, good or bad, or ugly
Kiwi Geoff likes this.

mike

video link

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page