LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 11-02-2018, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Long term GSX-S1000 review

My ownership of the GSX-S 1000 has just clicked a little over 3 years and 45,000 km. As much for my own fun as anything, I decided to review my thoughts and experiences over that time. Ownership and the reasons for buying one are naturally a highly personal one but hopefully, I've quantified the reasons for my comments. Hopefully, it's been a worthwhile exercise.

Here's the link: https://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2018...rm-review.html .

Cheers,

Geoff
dekker, Beaker, Motorider and 2 others like this.
post #2 of 30 Old 11-02-2018, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
good read that
Kiwi Geoff likes this.
post #3 of 30 Old 11-02-2018, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Garage
Dang, it's still November 2 here in Virginia. It's like reading something from the future. I hope it's good news...
Kiwi Geoff likes this.

post #4 of 30 Old 11-02-2018, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost View Post
Dang, it's still November 2 here in Virginia. It's like reading something from the future. I hope it's good news...
Sorry, Trump is still here on November 3rd
PhuketPaul and lost like this.
post #5 of 30 Old 11-02-2018, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Garage
Nice retrospective! Thanks for taking the time to write and share. I definitely agree with you on the OEM tires (err, tyres).

I, too, reflect on the "emotional" aspects of ownership. I traded in a Buell 1125R for this thing, and I definitely gave up some character. I also gave up a lot of headache.

Before the Buell it was a Ducati Monster. A few, actually. I have an affinity for twins; the roar and the torque... The engine braking, and the low and resonant exhaust note. It's a beautiful thing. Those bikes are needy, though, and I have grown less tolerant of needy things as I've gotten older.

Given where I am in life, I need something reliable and easy. Between family, career, and other pursuits, I am done tinkering on bikes. I just want to ride, often on a moments notice, and I don't want any drama.

And, sometimes, I want to go fast.
post #6 of 30 Old 11-02-2018, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost View Post
Nice retrospective! Thanks for taking the time to write and share. I definitely agree with you on the OEM tires (err, tyres).

I, too, reflect on the "emotional" aspects of ownership. I traded in a Buell 1125R for this thing, and I definitely gave up some character. I also gave up a lot of headache.

Before the Buell it was a Ducati Monster. A few, actually. I have an affinity for twins; the roar and the torque... The engine braking, and the low and resonant exhaust note. It's a beautiful thing. Those bikes are needy, though, and I have grown less tolerant of needy things as I've gotten older.

Given where I am in life, I need something reliable and easy. Between family, career, and other pursuits, I am done tinkering on bikes. I just want to ride, often on a moments notice, and I don't want any drama.

And, sometimes, I want to go fast.
Thanks for the kind words!

Hahaha! Sounds like we have very similar philosophies! I quite like cleaning the bike as it's therapeutic but like you, I just want to ride the thing. I live in a beautiful part of NZ but it's out in the boondocks. Takes me a couple of hours to ride to a decent dealer in one of the cities for service work or new tyres. Not that I'm complaining about riding but there are only so many hours in the day and sometimes it takes a bit of juggling with all the other stuff going on.
post #7 of 30 Old 11-03-2018, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Geoff View Post
Sorry, Trump is still here on November 3rd
Oh here we go. You just had to huh?
Kiwi Geoff likes this.

2016 Red/Black GSX-S1000F.

2015 BMW 1200GS
post #8 of 30 Old 11-03-2018, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Garage
Nice in-depth review. I think if you owned the "F", you may have become more emotionally attached. JK!
oldjackbob likes this.
post #9 of 30 Old 11-03-2018, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
Nice in-depth review. I think if you owned the "F", you may have become more emotionally attached. JK!
Thanks Mike. Nice try, but having owned multiple faired bikes, a naked is a nice point of difference. Not least keeping my speed down
mike d likes this.
post #10 of 30 Old 11-03-2018, 07:52 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Similar experience with the tyres, Stock, then Roadtec 01 and now Road 5's. Tyres can make or break a bike IMO.

I loved the roadtecs (55 profile rear) they felt very natural and had more grip than I have skill.

Changing to Road 5's was a shock, almost fell off the tyres, they are much quicker on tip in but after 5000miles I think they are actually better than the Roadtechs.

Mine is the F and never had the snatchy throttle thing, HH pads improved brakes massively, my next mod is braided lines.

Thanks for an honest unbiased review
Kiwi Geoff and oldjackbob like this.

I know nothing and welcome the opportunity to share my knowledge with anyone crazy enough to take it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page