• 1 Post By Beaker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-25-2016, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Front brake noise after tire change.

Had my tires changed to PR4s a couple weekends ago.

Over the last couple days I have noticed the front brakes squealing a lot before coming to a full stop.

Have been riding in a lot of rain the last couple days and the bike is covered in mud and road grime. Rain forecasted the rest of the week so I haven't bothered cleaning anything but the chain.

I'm no mechanic but in the past when a little bit of dirt seems to have gotten in the brake pads some hard braking clears it out. It is not working right now. Seems to be less noise for a bit but then it is back shortly after. Never had this issue after just a few days of rain on previous bikes either.

Is there anything I should look for to see if the dealer screwed up with the brakes when putting the front tire back on? Visually the pads look like they are touching the rotor when stopped, but I think that is normal?

Haven't had much luck finding a dealer I really trust since coming to DFW. Pretty much everyone I have gone too has screwed something up or given me a reason to believe their "mechanics" know less than I do which is pretty scary with as limited as my mechanic skills are.
post #2 of 7 Old 05-25-2016, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
My front brakes have sqeaked since I bought the bike. Since I have trued disc pads on a flat table and lightly emmerid the discs believing that I had not bedding the front pads in due to too light a braking? Problem went away for a few hundred miles but has returned. Bike now has 14000 miles on it and I have decided annoying as it is to put up with it.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-25-2016, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
if the pad thickness looks good, then a little noise won't hurt anything.

2016 S1000

post #4 of 7 Old 05-26-2016, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by titters View Post
My front brakes have sqeaked since I bought the bike. Since I have trued disc pads on a flat table and lightly emmerid the discs believing that I had not bedding the front pads in due to too light a braking? Problem went away for a few hundred miles but has returned. Bike now has 14000 miles on it and I have decided annoying as it is to put up with it.
14000 miles! Do you ever park up?
post #5 of 7 Old 05-26-2016, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by titters View Post
Bit of coppaslip in rear face of pads onto pistons?
nicka likes this.

Certain people are like slinky's, no apparent use but always bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs
post #6 of 7 Old 05-26-2016, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
did all that outside of winter months.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-31-2016, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by landy10 View Post
Bit of coppaslip in rear face of pads onto pistons?

That won't work. There aren't any anti squeal shims fitted and the pistons are hollow.
I've just junked my front pads for some EBC HH ones. The braking is phenomenal now and no squealing either so far.
Oh. And it is also the cure for anyone putting up with a little knocking sound which feels like loose headstock bearings if you are suffering with that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blackerchief likes this.

Pull my finger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page