• 1 Post By parablob

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-20-2016, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Nightmare with the screen fittings

I have the F-Touring, which comes with a tall screen, it also comes with the standard screen, today I tried to put the smaller screen on.
As you remove the tall screen there are 2 long metal spacers and 2 short spacers that fall out. these fit onto 2 long and 2 short bolts through the screen.
The screen is fitted to a cowl over the dash on the touring version, the cowl has 4 holes and 4 long rubber washers about an inch long with an internal thread that the screen bolts go into.
Instantly lost a flat rubber washer of a spacer and one of the long washers down the inside of the fairing, Im going to the dealer tomorrow to get the washers, but im wondering how the heck im supposed to get the spacers to stay put, as you cant see them or hold them, even with another person helping me, I tried blu tak, but the spacers are to heavy.

Can anyone help me how to put the screen back whilst holding the spacers in place, any tips ? looked for fitting instructions on powerbronze thinking they would be the same but there were none.

Here is the screen with the cowl, I put tape to hold the two together, otherwise they fall appart when your trying to fit them.

Cown where the long washers fit inside the holes, lost one !

This is one of the spacers with a washer on that fits on the cowl, and under the screen

Yam FS1E
Hon CB100
Hon CB200
Suz X7
Suz GS550E
Suz GSX750
Yam 350YPVS
Hon VFR750
Yam RD350(air)
Kaw GT550
Kaw ZZR600
Yam FZ1S
Suz Burgman 650
Hon VFR1200 DCT (Don Guhl ecu flash)
Suz GSXS1000-F-Touring Killed buy a car
Suz GSXR1000 K7

Last edited by R1KSU; 10-20-2016 at 03:31 PM.
post #2 of 8 Old 10-20-2016, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Kassu
Maybe this clip will help you.

See also this document (page 73).

I have the naked version, but I think you must remove first the meter panel cover (push inside the two fasteners).
post #3 of 8 Old 12-31-2016, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Hi
I found on other bike application when you can't hold the spacer I would if the spacer was rubber spray a little rubber silicone on the spacer and it would act a a clue, if the spacer is a metal then a touch off grease wold hold it long enough , I have also used blue tack, hair spray,grip glue , rubber bands and a long nose pliers , I would avoid supper clue as I once found out it can react with some type of plastic and melt it but luckily my wife has long thin fingers and comes handy
Hope this helps
flashpixx likes this.

post #4 of 8 Old 12-31-2016, 11:32 AM
luc

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
The factory screen do not use spacers, just the wellnuts ( what you call the washers with threads) and screws.
The spacers must be for the after-market screen
The factory screen has like "feet" molded in the plastic that space the screen out from the cowling. The after-market must not have those and therefore use spacers
post #5 of 8 Old 06-24-2017, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
As luc said, the rubber pieces with threads inside are called wellnuts. They are designed to expand when a screw is tightened down in them. What I would do is take the wellnuts out of the fairing then assemble the screws, windshield , spacers, and wellnuts off the bike. Don't tighten the screws, just thread them a turn or two into the wellnuts. Since the screws aren't tight, you should be able to install the windscreen by pushing the wellnuts into the holes in the mount. Don't push too hard, you just want them in as far as they were when you took off the stock shield. Now gently tighten the screws. The wellnuts will expand and secure the shield. Be careful not to overtighten the screws. I haven't played with my windshield on the Suzuki, but that's the method I've used before on other bikes.
Hope this helps,
Bob
post #6 of 8 Old 06-25-2017, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
tiny rubber o rings rolled over the screw holds rubbers in place...do all 4 at same time on screen then place screen in place
post #7 of 8 Old 06-25-2017, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by parablob View Post
Hi
I found on other bike application when you can't hold the spacer I would if the spacer was rubber spray a little rubber silicone on the spacer and it would act a a clue, if the spacer is a metal then a touch off grease wold hold it long enough , I have also used blue tack, hair spray,grip glue , rubber bands and a long nose pliers , I would avoid supper clue as I once found out it can react with some type of plastic and melt it but luckily my wife has long thin fingers and comes handy
Hope this helps
A little dab of honey will provide all the stick you need and its all natural haha
post #8 of 8 Old 06-27-2017, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharger View Post
A little dab of honey will provide all the stick you need and its all natural haha
Don't stint on the money - use NZ Manuka Medicinal Honey to fix it right up.

Rob.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page