User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-16-2017, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Vibration thro pegs!

Hi guys unfortunately I adjusted my chain whilst it was on an abba stand with no weight on the rear swinger. Long and short of it chain ended up being too tight. So I have replaced the rear sprocket carrier bearing as it was goosed the chain and front sprocket as it was hooked had to put renthal on as I could not get a suzuki one in time. Up shot is cyclical vibration has gone but still vibey thro pegs! I am dreading the thought that I may have buggered the output shaft bearing as that's an engine out and split job! 1000 quid at least. It's 1 yr old with 10000 on the clock pc5, nitron and 190/55. Love it great bike. Any advice on diagnosis would be grateful or else I have to try and make a warranty claim if suzuki will wear it. Lightec chain adjusters on their way! Hopefully I have not screwed it! Did approx 100 miles with too tight chain.
post #2 of 10 Old 05-16-2017, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine495 View Post
Hi guys unfortunately I adjusted my chain whilst it was on an abba stand with no weight on the rear swinger. Long and short of it chain ended up being too tight. So I have replaced the rear sprocket carrier bearing as it was goosed the chain and front sprocket as it was hooked had to put renthal on as I could not get a suzuki one in time. Up shot is cyclical vibration has gone but still vibey thro pegs! I am dreading the thought that I may have buggered the output shaft bearing as that's an engine out and split job! 1000 quid at least. It's 1 yr old with 10000 on the clock pc5, nitron and 190/55. Love it great bike. Any advice on diagnosis would be grateful or else I have to try and make a warranty claim if suzuki will wear it. Lightec chain adjusters on their way! Hopefully I have not screwed it! Did approx 100 miles with too tight chain.
I notice quite a bit of vibes only through the rear brake side foot rest...Yep I do hope you haven't buggered things up.. I doubt it all things in the engine are pretty tough..
post #3 of 10 Old 05-16-2017, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
10000 miles and your front sprocket needs replacement,how often do you lube your chain?

post #4 of 10 Old 05-16-2017, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Every week or 300 miles. Pretty sure where chain was over tight it goosed it. I can send a pic of damage to sprocket not excessive but definitely worn.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-16-2017, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
I wouldn't have thought you would have damaged the final drive.
Do the pegs still vibe as bad if you are in neutral and run the same revs? What about the rear wheel bearings are they okay?

Actually you have raised a really good point. I put a new rear tyre on last week. Reset the chain adjusters with the axle bolt only done up hand tight, made sure the wheel was straight and had the right amount of slack in the chain, blah blah ( did it right)
And then after torquing the rear axle nut up I rechecked the chain and found it to be as tight as a banjo string.
This is quite common as the rear axle acts as a stressed member to add rigidity to the swinging arm. My last bike was like this too. What it really shows is how important it is to check the chain slack after adjustment. Not only at one point but around the whole rotation of the chain before and after tightening up the axle bolt.

Sorry, I know it's a bit after the fact and it not aimed at you but maybe it will help someone else when they are doing their chain for the first time on this bike

Pull my finger
post #6 of 10 Old 05-16-2017, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
wolverine 495 ive sent you a private message
post #7 of 10 Old 05-16-2017, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
That's a good point about the rear wheel bearings I will check them. Yes I got caught out by rushing the job! Literally an eigth of a turn and it was loose again! Done in a car park after I found a mate who had a 36mm socket! Lightec chain adjusters from now recommended by my mechanic as being the best. It's easy done. I really hope its ok very difficult to check of course. I dropped the engine oil to look for any swarf but clean as a whistle checked with a magnet. Anyway going to change it every 2000 now as it is so easy. Thanks for your support!
post #8 of 10 Old 05-16-2017, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
[QUOTE=Beaker;264113]I wouldn't have thought you would have damaged the final drive.
Do the pegs still vibe as bad if you are in neutral and run the same revs? What about the rear wheel bearings are they okay?

Actually you have raised a really good point. I put a new rear tyre on last week. Reset the chain adjusters with the axle bolt only done up hand tight, made sure the wheel was straight and had the right amount of slack in the chain, blah blah ( did it right)
And then after torquing the rear axle nut up I rechecked the chain and found it to be as tight as a banjo string.
This is quite common as the rear axle acts as a stressed member to add rigidity to the swinging arm. My last bike was like this too. What it really shows is how important it is to check the chain slack after adjustment. Not only at one point but around the whole rotation of the chain before and after tightening up the axle bolt.

Sorry, I know it's a bit after the fact and it not aimed at you but maybe it will help someone else when they are doing their chain for the first time on this bike[/QUOT

well it helps to start off on the tight spot of chain when adjusting not the low or lose spot...yes i know another stupid comment
post #9 of 10 Old 05-17-2017, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine495 View Post

When adjusting your chain remember to check all sections of it since some will be tight some will be stretched.

Also which lightec chain adjusters model did you get? I only see gsxr1000 ones available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 10 Old 05-17-2017, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Its the same swingarm on the GSX-r1000, so its the same adjuster.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page