GSXS 1000 Forum banner

URGENT! Bike is overheating, fan won't turn on

14K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  BlueTorch 
#1 ·
My bike is just barely a year old and has only 7000 miles on it and it overheats. The fan will not kick on and the temp gauge maxes out and the red light will come on forcing me to pull out of traffic and wait. I pulled the fan fuse and it WAS blown, but I replaced it with a new one and it still will not kick on. Where is the Fan relay located? My manual has no information on it so I am at a loss. I am on vacation with the bike and I really wish I could fix the problem without blowing my vacation money taking it to a repair shop.

#3 ·
The relay is under the seat between the battery and the regulator/rectifier. The fan is the only thing on that circuit - it should be a 15 amp fuse and the fan should draw around 5 amps, so plenty of cushion there. Either the fan itself is shorting or the wiring insulation has rubbed and caused a short to the frame. It would be helpful to know if the fuse blows as soon as the bike is turned on or if it is when the fan tries to turn on. That would tell you if the short was before or after the relay. Also, does the fan spin freely or is it binding? If binding is it bearings or are the blades caught on something?

If the fuse blows right away it isn't a problem with the fan but probably in the wiring between the fuse and the relay.

#4 ·
I think those relays just unplug...you could try unplugging it to further narrow down the short. While I've never seen it happen, I guess the relay itself could short.

#29 ·
I agree on this. I’ve had it happen in my cars also. One time I swapped out the horn for the ac relay and never had one issue and that was 4 years ago. I know tapping on a traditional relay will work also. Sanding the fuses usually works on them and keeps them from blowing. I use to work on bikes all the time but switched to auto ODST and mechanical on cars. Still certified but I have since switched to paintless dent repair. I will tell all you young guys to get into that. Sometime I make a $1000 a day and it ends up taking 4 hours. Other times jobs take 8hrs but still make 1k. Even a super small dent I charge $50 to $100 and have it done in 15 minutes. I’m extremely quilfied but bikes are a whole different ball game. I do not recommend it to hardly anyone. Tanks are double walled so you have to know your pressure so you don’t puncture the inner. It also takes special tool. Glue pulling can be rather hard on fuel tanks too. I only mention that because this group seems to know their stuff and getting into that on hard could make bank for you younger guys then you can progress to bikes or if anyone needs my services I would be more than happy to get your bike dent free. Didn’t mean to hijack the thread but I have the fan issue and thought maybe some of you would be interested in dent repair

#11 ·
Just out of curiosity, do you ride a lot in rain or dust? You (meaning I) just don't hear much about these fans seizing up, even on bikes ridden in harsh conditions.
Found the problem.. Throttle cable is wedged in above the fan...I have no idea if this has been like this always because I've never been in a situation where I sit for 10+ minutes in traffic...

Attachments

#10 ·
Just out of curiosity, do you ride a lot in rain or dust? You (meaning I) just don't hear much about these fans seizing up, even on bikes ridden in harsh conditions.

#13 ·
In the UK we have 2 years warranty, Isnt it the same with you, so your still covered for work being done with the cables being replaced/moved

#20 ·
I just checked mine. That is actually the clutch cable, just behind where it goes over the sharp edge of the radiator on the right side. (http://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/suzuki-gsxs-1000-maintenance/33074-clutch-cable-wear-read-thread.html)

Mine is routed similarly to how it appears in the pic above, but there is a complete shroud over the fan that prevents contact with the blades. Maybe your shroud is broken, kind of hard to tell from the picture. What with going over the sharp radiator and being pressed into the fan, I think Suzuki screwed up in the design of the cable routing.

#23 ·
I just checked mine. That is actually the clutch cable, just behind where it goes over the sharp edge of the radiator on the right side. (http://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/suzuki-gsxs-1000-maintenance/33074-clutch-cable-wear-read-thread.html)

Mine is routed similarly to how it appears in the pic above, but there is a complete shroud over the fan that prevents contact with the blades. Maybe your shroud is broken, kind of hard to tell from the picture. What with going over the sharp radiator and being pressed into the fan, I think Suzuki screwed up in the design of the cable routing.
The cable was being pressed against the fan itself, the fan has a shroud around itself so it just wasn't spinning at all.

I've had this bike since it was brand new, so it must have had something done to it in the radiator area by the dealer to have caused this.

Well the problem is fixed now, just loosened the radiator and popped the cable out, I was just in a panic trying to figure it out but once I calmed down and read your suggestions I found the problem. After seeing this thread (http://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/suzuk...ce/33074-clutch-cable-wear-read-thread-7.html) I see there is similar problems.

#21 · (Edited)
Hi Guy's
Here is better photo that Downshift posted via the Clutch Cable Thread.

My Bike has the cable further towards the top of the fan screen to the left side of the fan centre line with the steering locked.
It's next to impossible to get a clear camera picture with the fairing on.
My bike is a N variant, if that matters.

Also another Member posted a Manual drawing of the clutch cable routing in the clutch thread, and it does not show the screen around the fan.

Here is link to a parts drawing 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000A RADIATOR | Babbitts Suzuki Partshouse
The fan shroud is not full circle, rather a quadrant where the clutch cable passes by. It doesn't look as though the fan assembly could be incorrectly mounted upside down - but if it was, there would be every likely hood that the cable would foul the fan fins.

Unless the fitted fan is not genuine Suzuki GSXS1000, rather an aftermarket clone, but that seems very improbable as the OP seems to have bought it as new and has no accident damage repairs?

Rob

#28 ·
Mine has fan issues sometimes. It never over heats but when I turn it off the fan won’t always run. Sometimes it does some times it doesn’t. I bought new old stock last fall. I took it in today because they even had the wrong battery in it. It was parts unlimited battery and was completely the wrong height plus the terminals were backwards. As soon as I left it pulled the front end maybe a couple inches off the ground and it kicked the light back on. It’s always the same code of F-I but the underlying code has nothing to do with the fuel injection. I noticed when my fan runs after I stop the code goes away. My 2019 gsx s750 will run the fan no matter what. I can take the key out and everything. I’m starting to think it’s a cpu issue, a bad coupler, wiring or needs remapped. It’s hard to find a good tech anymore. My best friend is the best of the best but this bike is under warranty. They even offered to pay him for the warranty work then submit it on their end. The dealership said it could be my after market brake lever because it’s saying the brake is dragging at full throttle. I switched back but still have the fan issue to deal with. I’m hoping it’s a faulty relay like stated above. If anyone else has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.