7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 06-24-2017, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
No dash, bike is dead

Was putting on a tidy tail kit. Wired in the blinkers no problem. Had the dash on to check blinkers. Started to wire the tag light. It came on, then the whole system went down. No when I turn the key, the only thing I get is the head light. Every thing else is dead. Help please, I'm no mechanic.
post #2 of 17 Old 06-24-2017, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Garage
You wired while the ignition/current was "live"?
"I am no mechanic".. well, then you should *not* touch anything. Especially anything involving wires/current/connectors.

You have probably blown a fuse or two.
Check the fuses. Replace those that have blown.
*If* you decide to continue with installing this tail "tidy" kit, disconnect the battery first.
tonyt and Snakenasty like this.

2018 - Speed Triple S
2015 - GSX-S1000
2009 - B-King 1441
post #3 of 17 Old 06-24-2017, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
That was it. Thanks, will disconnect battery.
bking1441 and R1KSU like this.

post #4 of 17 Old 08-12-2017, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Smile

Yeh interesting. Just a beware note about when you detach fairings for oil change and then start back up, looking for oil leaks. No dash also. The coupler that you have to disconnect on right side has obviously the circuitry for the electrical and dash system. Normally after an oil change before I re assemble fairings I start her up to make sure no leaks from oil filter housing and indeed oil drain area. So I was not able to see if the oil pressure light would extinguish like all my other bikes (indicating) firstly it actually works and of course that indeed the new oil is circulating correctly (as it should)
Just thought would add this info..
Jeffro

Last edited by Jeffro; 08-12-2017 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Typo
post #5 of 17 Old 08-12-2017, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bking1441 View Post
You wired while the ignition/current was "live"?
"I am no mechanic".. well, then you should *not* touch anything. Especially anything involving wires/current/connectors.

You have probably blown a fuse or two.
Check the fuses. Replace those that have blown.
*If* you decide to continue with installing this tail "tidy" kit, disconnect the battery first.
How else is someone supposed to learn if they alway leave it to a "mechanic?" A lot of people bye their bikes specifically to have something to tinker with. "I am no mechanic" to me implies you should be getting your hands dirty more often. I would be ashamed taking my bike to a mechanic for blinker or tail tidy install.
robdeniro0 likes this.
post #6 of 17 Old 08-12-2017, 12:15 PM
mcm

Thumbs up That's the spirit, but.................

Quote:
Originally Posted by dqban View Post
How else is someone supposed to learn if they alway leave it to a "mechanic?" A lot of people bye their bikes specifically to have something to tinker with. "I am no mechanic" to me implies you should be getting your hands dirty more often. I would be ashamed taking my bike to a mechanic for blinker or tail tidy install.
Good for you, do all the maintenance my self (oil,tires,chain,sprockets,filters,etc) but some times it depends on time when it comes to electric issues (not this bike, but other bikes with many more features that when some idiot light comes on it has to be connected to a computer at the dealer, that is why I always come back to Japanese)

Also not everyone has the tools for everything, the time (many other responsibilities) or the spirit as you have.

There is no shame in not knowing how to do something, specially when its electric stuff (am not good at all with electrical/very basic stuff only/connecting after market lights on other off road bikes, etc.). The old days where much simpler to connect wiring harnesses, etc. But the way the new circuits are connected sure get confusing at times (for me anyway).

On line & youtube has a lot of nice info & vids in relation to installations of many components. Have watched many times even knowing how to do something, its nice to quickly watch a vid, because of some small detail that perhaps i had forgotten since it's not my profession to do it all the time.

But you have the right attitude
post #7 of 17 Old 08-12-2017, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm View Post
Good for you, do all the maintenance my self (oil,tires,chain,sprockets,filters,etc) but some times it depends on time when it comes to electric issues (not this bike, but other bikes with many more features that when some idiot light comes on it has to be connected to a computer at the dealer, that is why I always come back to Japanese)

Also not everyone has the tools for everything, the time (many other responsibilities) or the spirit as you have.

There is no shame in not knowing how to do something, specially when its electric stuff (am not good at all with electrical/very basic stuff only/connecting after market lights on other off road bikes, etc.). The old days where much simpler to connect wiring harnesses, etc. But the way the new circuits are connected sure get confusing at times (for me anyway).

On line & youtube has a lot of nice info & vids in relation to installations of many components. Have watched many times even knowing how to do something, its nice to quickly watch a vid, because of some small detail that perhaps i had forgotten since it's not my profession to do it all the time.

But you have the right attitude
I fully agree that everyone should know their limits both in skill and tool access. (Its why I dont buy a BMW bike and stick to the Japanese brands myself, to many bike specific tools with european models. I personally just cant afford it.) I just dont like the idea of discouraging someone from trying..... and the OP certainly was willing. It was the follow up comment I disagree with.....

In my eyes, knowing how to maintain your bike is a safety thing. There really is no better way to know if your bike is riding within spec than having a good understanding of its engineering.
post #8 of 17 Old 08-12-2017, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I was just teasing the OP.

He has the right attitude and have fixed the problem.

But sometime it is wise to take it easy.. check some forums/videos (Youtube) before "tampering" with "stuff".

And yes,.. "I have sinned"... a lot..(also with "lets-test-some-live-wires-and-see-what-happens")
mcm likes this.

2018 - Speed Triple S
2015 - GSX-S1000
2009 - B-King 1441
post #9 of 17 Old 08-12-2017, 05:01 PM
mcm

oopssss, sorry

Quote:
I fully agree that everyone should know their limits both in skill and tool access. (Its why I dont buy a BMW bike and stick to the Japanese brands myself, to many bike specific tools with european models. I personally just cant afford it.) I just dont like the idea of discouraging someone from trying..... and the OP certainly was willing. It was the follow up comment I disagree with.....

In my eyes, knowing how to maintain your bike is a safety thing. There really is no better way to know if your bike is riding within spec than having a good understanding of its engineering.
I clicked the wrong button, this post was in general because of some comments, yet I don't think they were wrong either because if i have to work on unfamiliar stuff, then i better do some research. But if I don't have the time, then a mechanic can do it for me. (and mainly to the new rider original post).

Agree with you 100%

PS: It's easy to also misunderstand the intent of anyone writing in lieu of speaking because can't hear the tone.
post #10 of 17 Old 08-12-2017, 05:07 PM
mcm

Thumbs up me also

Quote:
Originally Posted by bking1441 View Post
I was just teasing the OP.

He has the right attitude and have fixed the problem.

But sometime it is wise to take it easy.. check some forums/videos (Youtube) before "tampering" with "stuff".

And yes,.. "I have sinned"... a lot..(also with "lets-test-some-live-wires-and-see-what-happens")
Ye that's always fun,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,zapadydo!!!!!!!!!!!!ouch...... ....i felt that one..........oh sh**** i fried everything

****, i guess am a sinner too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page