post #1 of 7 Old 07-09-2017, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Rear Brake Reservoir Leaking

Was washing my bike yesterday and noticed the rear brake reservoir was covered in brake fluid. From the top all the way to the bottom. The hose that connects to the bottom of the reservoir was also covered.

Seems to me like it's a faulty seal or the two screws on the cap weren't tight enough. When I bought the bike it was filled to the full line on the reservoir. Now it's halfway, so this has been going on for a while. Never seen any drips on the ground and there's no huge buildup anywhere.

I still have a few months left on my warranty so I'm letting the dealer handle this as I don't want to waste my time replacing the reservoir, rubber hose, and then bleed the system.

They said they were going to take care of it as quick as possible but they didn't seem surprised at all.

Just putting this out there in case other bikes have the same issue.
LEAVEITSTOCK and mike d like this.

Previous Rides:
2012 CBR250R
2014 CBR500R (ABS)
2016 FZ-07

Current Rides:
2016 GSX-S1000 (ABS)
2016 CB300F
post #2 of 7 Old 07-11-2017, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Yeah, that sucks.
Consider getting into the battery compartment and other areas above and behind the reservoir in the tail section. If wind blast has been pushing brake fluid up in there, you might have damage. Brake fluid is pretty much unfriendly to anything other than brakes. It does the worst to painted surfaces.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-02-2017, 08:56 AM

So AJ, I got into mine last night for initial service (about 550 miles) and imagine that; I had brake fluid on the outside of the reservoir. It wasnt that much; probably because of when I caught it. Because getting warranty work done will be a bit more complicated for my scenario, I decided to get in the reservoir. I've worked with tons of them and they really aren't that complex. At first it looked overfilled, but this might be because it was mounted with the front of the reservoir slightly pitched downward. The diaphragm was slightly expanded down into the fluid. I pulled some fluid out, reset the diaphragm and tightened the screws. Not a thing looked damaged.

So, what was your experience? Are you still experiencing the problem? What did the dealership tell you?

post #4 of 7 Old 08-12-2017, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamFreak View Post
So AJ, I got into mine last night for initial service (about 550 miles) and imagine that; I had brake fluid on the outside of the reservoir. It wasnt that much; probably because of when I caught it. Because getting warranty work done will be a bit more complicated for my scenario, I decided to get in the reservoir. I've worked with tons of them and they really aren't that complex. At first it looked overfilled, but this might be because it was mounted with the front of the reservoir slightly pitched downward. The diaphragm was slightly expanded down into the fluid. I pulled some fluid out, reset the diaphragm and tightened the screws. Not a thing looked damaged.

So, what was your experience? Are you still experiencing the problem? What did the dealership tell you?
They told me it was because of a failed reservoir cap. They replaced my entire rear reservoir and hose to the master cylinder. After that, it's been fine for the last 1,500 miles.
TheDude likes this.

Previous Rides:
2012 CBR250R
2014 CBR500R (ABS)
2016 FZ-07

Current Rides:
2016 GSX-S1000 (ABS)
2016 CB300F
post #5 of 7 Old 08-31-2017, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Kassu
Same problem here:rear brake fluid reservoir leaking.
There was too much brake fluid put into the reservoir.
It was overfilled.

Too much brake fluid holds the pads onto the discs lightly. I heard the pads brushing against the disks lightly.
As the brake system is heated up by the exhaust and by the friction rotor-pads, brake fluid expands and applies more brake.
If considerably overfilled, then any expansion of the brake fluid (due to temperature) could pressurise the system and result in the brakes dragging and reservoir leaking.

In my case, I removed some of the fluid from the reservoir, returning the level to the high level mark and therefore giving the fluid the room to expand on future tempeture expansion.
Problem solved.
LEAVEITSTOCK likes this.

Annuit coeptis

Last edited by Kassu; 08-31-2017 at 09:48 AM.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-31-2017, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Instead of draining some out of the reservoir, why not bleed the brake itself ?
A bit more effort, but it flushes some moisture contaminated oil away from the calliper and you get a bit of maintenance practice.

Rob.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-31-2017, 09:50 PM

Rob, I didn't do it in my case because I could see the expanded diaphram and wanted to get in there to address that. I was talking with a former motorcycle mechanic about this over a cold one and he suggested the possibility that when these systems were installed at the factory, they might have been initially filled with brake fluid in fact from the bleeder valve side. I don't know; I guess that can be done. Is that what happened which perhaps caused the effects that we're seeing? Who knows? I've always filled these systems from the reservoir. I've only had the chance to put 75 miles on it since I addressed the problem but haven't seen any seeping fluid yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page