6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 07-13-2017, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Weird Grinding noise 6-7k rpms

Earlier today I noticed a very weird grinding noise between 6 and 7 thousand RPMs . I only have <900 miles on it currently. I'm going to take it to the shop on tuesday. Will I have to pay for this since my bike is still nearly brand new and under warranty? Anyone else have a weird sound/grinding noise/ tinfoil crinkling type sound between 6-7k RPMS?
It does it in 1st and 2nd gear. I just had my First Service done @610 miles and they used Yamalube. I was not able to try higher gears since I would be doing above the speed limit
post #2 of 14 Old 07-13-2017, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
Earlier today I noticed a very weird grinding noise between 6 and 7 thousand RPMs . I only have <900 miles on it currently. I'm going to take it to the shop on tuesday. Will I have to pay for this since my bike is still nearly brand new and under warranty? Anyone else have a weird sound/grinding noise/ tinfoil crinkling type sound between 6-7k RPMS?
It does it in 1st and 2nd gear. I just had my First Service done @610 miles and they used Yamalube. I was not able to try higher gears since I would be doing above the speed limit
I've never had that, but I haven't bothered getting a first service yet even though I'm close to 2000 miles.
Did you notice it before the first service? Can you tell I'm paranoid?
post #3 of 14 Old 07-13-2017, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Nope just started happening today 850 miles or so

post #4 of 14 Old 07-13-2017, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Are you feeling any odd power loss or vibration? That's the range where I'll get clutch lever, peg and seat buzz but then everything smooths right out by 8k. 5 - 8k seems to be a harmonic rough zone.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-14-2017, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Not really its more of just like sounds like a failed gear shift, grinding gears, but i wasnt shifting I normally shift at like 3-4k because I use it to commute often, or I take her for quick bursts to 10k rpms once in awhile in the back roads. But I was in first, left a red light, and opened her and stopped when i heard/felt it. It was fine over and under 6-7 but something in that range was not smooth. I kept doing it trying to pinpoint the source to no avail. I havent really opened her up but once or twice over 5-6k rpms since the oil change because I just commute/daily ride through town.

-sigh-
post #6 of 14 Old 07-14-2017, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
I've never had that, but I haven't bothered getting a first service yet even though I'm close to 2000 miles.
I was under the impression that getting the service done at 600 miles, or close to it, was a pretty critical oil change for the engine? I could definitely tell the difference afterwards.

chicken george
post #7 of 14 Old 07-14-2017, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Quote:
Not really its more of just like sounds like a failed gear shift, grinding gears, but i wasnt shifting I normally shift at like 3-4k because I use it to commute often, or I take her for quick bursts to 10k rpms once in awhile in the back roads. But I was in first, left a red light, and opened her and stopped when i heard/felt it. It was fine over and under 6-7 but something in that range was not smooth. I kept doing it trying to pinpoint the source to no avail. I havent really opened her up but once or twice over 5-6k rpms since the oil change because I just commute/daily ride through town.

-sigh-
Doesn't sound good. Have you checked the oil are you loosing any?
Does it do it if you hold those revs whilst stationary. Most strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken_george View Post
I was under the impression that getting the service done at 600 miles, or close to it, was a pretty critical oil change for the engine? I could definitely tell the difference afterwards.

chicken george
Yes it is. But it's his bike he can do what he want's with it

Pull my finger
post #8 of 14 Old 07-14-2017, 07:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I know it´s a long shot. But could it be a combination of snatchy throttle response and a VERY loose chain?
post #9 of 14 Old 07-14-2017, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken_george View Post

chicken george
I did the oil change myself (@ 578, and again at 1678). The dealership was booked up pretty solid.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-14-2017, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
sounds like a failed gear shift, grinding gears, but i wasnt shifting
I've botched a shift or two and heard that noise, if I was hearing THAT while not shifting I'd want the dealer to hear it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page