6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 01-02-2018, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Coolant level

Hi all , after a ride out over the holidays checked the coolant level and its low not worryingly so but just below the lower level . Checked it again next day to confirm . I'm thinking the level on a 1200 mile bike shouldn't drop ? I never had to top up my k5 in 2 years , 5k miles . Supplying dealer workshop not back till 2mrw , just wondered what we think on here ? Also bike seems to rely heavily on the cooling fan , is this just a product of the lean running euro 4 set up ? It's never gone above normal ?
post #2 of 20 Old 01-02-2018, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
usually im to busy riding to notice if fan is running....few times in traffic and didnt stay there for long never goes over 3 lines....chances are when you top it off again level will stay there
post #3 of 20 Old 01-02-2018, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stina View Post
Hi all , after a ride out over the holidays checked the coolant level and its low not worryingly so but just below the lower level . Checked it again next day to confirm . I'm thinking the level on a 1200 mile bike shouldn't drop ? I never had to top up my k5 in 2 years , 5k miles . Supplying dealer workshop not back till 2mrw , just wondered what we think on here ? Also bike seems to rely heavily on the cooling fan , is this just a product of the lean running euro 4 set up ? It's never gone above normal ?

I don't think it's the lean running for the fan coming on but rather the characteristics of the engine and the fan cut in setpoint, mine has been tuned to pretty much 13.2 afr and it still comes on often when slow riding in traffic or when I'm idling at lights, as soon as I get moving it cuts out and it has since day 1, it just needs airflow.

Previous bikes
1982 YZ80J
1977 TS185
1981 XR500
1994 GSX750 Katana (Popup)
1981 GSX1100
1999 GSX750F
2008 GSX1400
Current bikes
2005 V-Strom 650 Blue
2016 GSXS1000F Blue

post #4 of 20 Old 01-02-2018, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I'm not overly worried as its still under warranty . But in the first few hundred miles it showed witness marks of coolant round the bottom hose , only minuscule but I stopped in at the dealer and they looked the whole system over and ran it through a few heat cycles , so I think it's worth them looking at it just to keep them in the loop . As above its never shown more than 3 bars . I'd like to of seen an actual temp read out on it rather than bars . Guess they'd call they progress ! 😀
post #5 of 20 Old 01-02-2018, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
When I first got my bike, I noted that the coolant level in the reservoir tank was very slightly below the low mark. Did I want to spend the money to get a full container of Suzuki coolant only to need an ounce or so to top up? No. I topped up with distilled water. Mixing distilled water with the coolant is generally not to be done because it can decrease the efficiency of the coolant but what I had to put in the reservoir was such a ridiculously minute amount, it was not of concern. Here in South Florida, where it is absolutely positively hotter than camel balls, I did not run into any difficulties with the bike not cooling properly. Obviously, you want to keep an eye on your coolant levels just as you should every other fluid level but based on what you have typed, I would not say that you have a major problem.

Remember that the cooling systems should be drained, flushed and refilled with new coolant every two years. Suzuki claims that if their Suzuki super coolant or whatever they call it is used, then the intervals are either three or four years. I don't remember. I have to research that but draining, Flushing and refilling a system is so easy I will probably just stick to it every two years. It is also another way to get in the bike and keep an eye out for anything that may be a problem

Last edited by TeamFreak; 01-02-2018 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Left word out
post #6 of 20 Old 01-02-2018, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Indeed blue coolant is 4yrs 29k miles (48k km), green 2yrs 7.5k miles (12k km)
post #7 of 20 Old 01-02-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerded Wanderer View Post
Indeed blue coolant is 4yrs 29k miles (48k km), green 2yrs 7.5k miles (12k km)
so blue is the synthetic of anti freeze
post #8 of 20 Old 01-02-2018, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Garage
I suppose. Oil I'm changing often no matter synth or conventional. Coolant, meh. The blue goes almost 4x the miles, so I suppose it depends if you put on a lot of miles or not, and your tolerance for spending money vs spending time doing maintenance. The blue is like 4x the price of green.
post #9 of 20 Old 01-03-2018, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Blue is the synthetic of antifreeze? Oh, now you did it, STOCK! This thread will end up as about 50 pages of the great antifreeze debate. Like oil.

I don't think the color alone is an indicator of an antifreeze that lasts longer, at least in the motorcycle realm anyway. If that were the case, then Engine Ice would be one. So Suzuki's four year is called super long life coolant and is blue. Their standard coolant is called long life coolant. It's green. What's the difference? Beside the color and "super"? MSDS seems to show levels of ethylene and dietheylene glycol as about the same. Perhaps there's a "super" ingredient I missed.
post #10 of 20 Old 01-03-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamFreak View Post
Blue is the synthetic of antifreeze? Oh, now you did it, STOCK! This thread will end up as about 50 pages of the great antifreeze debate. Like oil.

I don't think the color alone is an indicator of an antifreeze that lasts longer, at least in the motorcycle realm anyway. If that were the case, then Engine Ice would be one. So Suzuki's four year is called super long life coolant and is blue. Their standard coolant is called long life coolant. It's green. What's the difference? Beside the color and "super"? MSDS seems to show levels of ethylene and dietheylene glycol as about the same. Perhaps there's a "super" ingredient I missed.
im waiting for the super duper pooper long life to come out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page