LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 01-22-2018, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Apparent fork seal leak

Hey gents,

Just picked up this used 2016 1000F with 9,900 miles on it. I have only ridden it two times since purchase due to a variety of lame excuses. Owned it for just under two months. I went into the garage two days ago and saw a fresh puddle of gold-colored oil underneath the front brake caliper. If you're sitting on the bike, it'd be the front caliper on your right. Initially I thought it was brake fluid b/c of where it was dripping but then realized it was most certainly fork oil, indicating a fork seal leak.

I cannot fathom how this leak developed. Nothing on the bike has leaked at all for these two months I've owned it, then all of a sudden it just starts dripping. The last time I rode it before noticing the dripping by the way was three weeks ago. It's simply been sitting on a rear track stand.

Any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: png 1.PNG (429.4 KB, 53 views)

2016 GSXS-1000F
post #2 of 31 Old 01-23-2018, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Firstly congrats on your new purchase, regarding your issues i would isolate the problem to be sure, check the master cylinder level and inspect the hose route and check for tell tale darker patches on the caliper. Then I would inspect the lower chrome section and around the seal area of the fork to look for seepage, then take the problem from there.

We're here for a good time, not a long time. (woolich, PCv, K&N, T-Rex, HM plus SS)
post #3 of 31 Old 01-23-2018, 03:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
It might be unusual but seals don't last forever and sometimes leak for a variety of reasons. Replace it and it's fixed no big deal

post #4 of 31 Old 01-23-2018, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
wasnt there a front brake recall for leaking
post #5 of 31 Old 01-23-2018, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAVEITSTOCK View Post
wasnt there a front brake recall for leaking
Yes there was.

2016 GSX-S1000
post #6 of 31 Old 01-23-2018, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
If you do end up replacing seals in the forks, replace the slider bushings too. If you don’t, it could just start leaking again pre-maturely.

post #7 of 31 Old 01-23-2018, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Sometimes you can get by doing this:

post #8 of 31 Old 01-23-2018, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
+1 on fluid determination. Make certain that it's not brake fluid. Check the slider closely for oil. Also, and I'm probably going to get flogged for typing this, but I'm a fan of the extreme; the taste test . Oil and brake fluid have two distinct tastes. I won't type how I know.

I'm pretty sure that the front end is Showa and I've never had a Showa leak. I've had the Ohlins leak on my RSVR after 13,000 miles but that's because the Ohlins is apples and the Showa is oranges. Anyway, if it's fork oil why would it leak? Perhaps the previous owner was a little wheelie happy and one decided to check out. Or maybe some debris managed to make its way up there. Either way, if you replace the seal; don't cheap out. Do them both. Both fork legs. As Twag mentioned, consider bushing replacement. If the bike was wheelied, hard impacts to the front end upon return to the ground can beat the **** out of those. Wear can be easily visible on them to indicate this. If you do the job yourself, it's tough to do without a spring compressor but I don't know; maybe someone on the forum has done it a different way. I know youtube's got some videos but use caution with those.

Last edited by TeamFreak; 01-23-2018 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Added sentence
post #9 of 31 Old 01-23-2018, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamFreak View Post
Also, and I'm probably going to get flogged for typing this, but I'm a fan of the extreme; the taste test . Oil and brake fluid have two distinct tastes. I won't type how I know.
Taste test is legit, but as a last resort; smell test is usually enough. I start with just feeling it, rub between finger and thumb, which heats it up to make the smell test better.

2016 GSXS1000FAL6
post #10 of 31 Old 01-23-2018, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
This forum is incredible. Thank you all for the responses. Going out to look for more possible leak locations and to do a smell test. Report back shortly.

2016 GSXS-1000F

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page