• 2 Post By dekker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-04-2018, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
play in swigarm

had my bike back to the dealer today 2017 800 mile. ive got play in my swingarm bush's. i can pull from side to side and hear and feel a clunk. my dealer says its within tolerance. anyone else had this. as far as im concerned there should not be any play in the bush's. might have to get in touch with suzuki gb and find what movement is allowed
post #2 of 10 Old 04-04-2018, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Garage
There are no specifications I can find in the workshop manual regarding play only torque settings and spindle run-out.

Blue Naked 2015 ABS model. PCV, Nitron Ntr-1 shock, MRA screen(modified) Puig crash bungs, HEL lines and EBC-HH pads, job done. (Riding since 1959.)
post #3 of 10 Old 04-04-2018, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
thanks for looking might be worth checking yours and other people check there bike to see if its in all gsx-s1000

post #4 of 10 Old 04-04-2018, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
im fairly sure the swing arm bearing setup is easily adjustable for tension / looks just like the setup on sv swing arms, undo main bolt , adjuster ring , with rear off ground, no load on swing arm, turn adjuster til a minimal amount of play, retension to torgue value, rechech play, it should have ease of vertical movement but no lateral movement, any lateral movement will greatly affect the bike tracking on road
dekker and Fer like this.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-07-2018, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Over the years I have seen manuals read that there should be no noticeable play by sight and/or feel. Others don't have any information at all; not even anything on the simple inspection procedure which is the attempt to move the swing arm laterally. However, I do remember either reading of being instructed by a mechanic that 1 to 2 mm of play was considered acceptable. To me that means movement could be felt but probably not seen. Your mechanic said what he said and if you know that he knows what he's doing, then you're good to go. If not, you could do what kiwi typed; perhaps some loosening and retightening. That nut on there that looks castellated (but it's not a true catellated nut) can be removed by using the socket that Suzuki probably wants 5,000,000 dollars for or you could fabricate one with an appropriate sized socket and a grinding wheel. If that doesn't work then you have to pull it and check the bearings and sleeves.

But again, this is if your mechanic's competence is questionable. If he knows what he's doing, just go get a cold one.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-08-2018, 09:12 AM

Garage
There is no play in mine whatsoever, temp-kiwi has the answer.

Blue Naked 2015 ABS model. PCV, Nitron Ntr-1 shock, MRA screen(modified) Puig crash bungs, HEL lines and EBC-HH pads, job done. (Riding since 1959.)
post #7 of 10 Old 04-08-2018, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
took it to another suzuki main dealer. we tried three brand new bikes. they all had play. not as much as mine. so he reset the swing arm bolt and the play went to the same as brand new ones. so it seems they all have play in them. dekker just off topic can you adjust the preload on your nitron shock on the bike?
post #8 of 10 Old 04-08-2018, 02:37 PM

Garage
taskgsx wrote:
Quote:
just off topic can you adjust the preload on your nitron shock on the bike?
Yes its a ring like the OEM but has peg holes to turn it, posh tool supplied to do it.
The comp/rebound however are tied together and cannot be altered separately.

post #9 of 10 Old 04-08-2018, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
yeah i know its a coller adjustment. but you can get to tool in to turn it?
post #10 of 10 Old 04-09-2018, 04:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by taskgsx View Post
yeah i know its a coller adjustment. but you can get to tool in to turn it?
Yes.
But the damping collar at the bottom is a bit more difficult depending how strong and what size your fingers are And don't try it while the exhaust is hot.
Slower and Slower and G-Dub like this.

Last edited by dekker; 04-09-2018 at 04:17 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page