9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 05-22-2018, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Down on power, falls on face at 5K RPMs

Hey everyone. I've got a 2016 GSX-S1000 with 3500 miles on it. I installed a Power Commander V when the bike had 120 miles. All stock otherwise besides cosmetics. Last year the bike ran great, but this year it seems to be having problems. It does not have the power a 1000 should. I thought I was just getting used to the power after years on an R6, but thats not the case. The bike doesn't pull like it should. I have also noticed that there has been a seemingly increasing flat spot around 5K RPMs. I know these bikes have a flat spot there anyway, but today the bike was actually stuttering at that RPM, almost like the feeling of traction control kicking in. Once you get through the stuttering around 5K, it comes out of it a little and stops stuttering, but still doesn't accelerate like a 1000 should. The problem seems to be at full throttle settings.

There are a few things I think it could be that I want to check...

1) Disconnect the Power Commander to see if that is acting up
2) Check airbox for rodent obstruction
3) Bad gas
4) I adjusted the primary TPS sensor before the season started, maybe something went wrong with this procedure? Pre-adjustment voltages were 1.01/3.96 closed/open throttle. After adjustment, the voltages are 1.12/4.10. Is the open throttle voltage ok? Seems low? I think spec is 4.5v? After the adjustment I can't adjust the traction control settings with the bike running, which other people have mentioned as well.

My R6 acted similar to this when it had a bad coil, but it also would almost stall at idle, where this bike seems to be idling fine.

Any other thoughts?
post #2 of 30 Old 05-22-2018, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCBliss View Post
Hey everyone. I've got a 2016 GSX-S1000 with 3500 miles on it. I installed a Power Commander V when the bike had 120 miles. All stock otherwise besides cosmetics. Last year the bike ran great, but this year it seems to be having problems. It does not have the power a 1000 should. I thought I was just getting used to the power after years on an R6, but thats not the case. The bike doesn't pull like it should. I have also noticed that there has been a seemingly increasing flat spot around 5K RPMs. I know these bikes have a flat spot there anyway, but today the bike was actually stuttering at that RPM, almost like the feeling of traction control kicking in. Once you get through the stuttering around 5K, it comes out of it a little and stops stuttering, but still doesn't accelerate like a 1000 should. The problem seems to be at full throttle settings.

There are a few things I think it could be that I want to check...

1) Disconnect the Power Commander to see if that is acting up
2) Check airbox for rodent obstruction
3) Bad gas
4) I adjusted the primary TPS sensor before the season started, maybe something went wrong with this procedure? Pre-adjustment voltages were 1.01/3.96 closed/open throttle. After adjustment, the voltages are 1.12/4.10. Is the open throttle voltage ok? Seems low? I think spec is 4.5v? After the adjustment I can't adjust the traction control settings with the bike running, which other people have mentioned as well.

My R6 acted similar to this when it had a bad coil, but it also would almost stall at idle, where this bike seems to be idling fine.

Any other thoughts?
I'm not sure about the TPS voltage, I've never checked mine, but those first 3 items in your list seem like a good place to start.

Good luck.
post #3 of 30 Old 05-22-2018, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
You might want to try just turning the power commander off first before disconnecting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 30 Old 05-22-2018, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
How would I do that exactly? There is no power button obviously, but if I disconnect power going to it, the power commander plugs are still inline between the factory injector plugs, will that be a problem?

If I leave the power commander in place but just disconnect all of the connectors and plug the factory connectors back into each other, it should only take half an hour to accomplish that.

Last edited by PCBliss; 05-22-2018 at 09:06 AM.
post #5 of 30 Old 05-22-2018, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Has the bike run correctly since the TPS adjustment? If not, I'd start there. Then I would get a fresh tank of gas and verify the air filter is clean. If all those check out, then I'd dig into the PC.
Devonblue likes this.
post #6 of 30 Old 05-22-2018, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Garage
Don't think it will help with your problem but. -

After resetting the TPS did you reset the throttle fully closed learned position using the PCV software.
You could always load a zero map to check the PCV effect.

Blue Naked 2015 ABS model. PCV, Nitron Ntr-1 shock, MRA screen(modified) Puig crash bungs, HEL lines and EBC-HH pads, job done. (Riding since 1959.)
post #7 of 30 Old 05-22-2018, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Power commander can be shut off via simple computer switch... would seem like the easiest thing to test

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 30 Old 05-22-2018, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I reset the TPS voltage before the season started so I hadn't ridden the bike for about six months, so it was hard to notice the power loss. Now I realize it is definitely down on power and has a big flat spot around 5K. It was only this morning that it started to actually stutter at 5K during acceleration.

I haven't reset the full closed TPS setting with the PCV software. I don't move the TC setting ever and I change it with the ignition on but the engine off, so it hasn't bothered me. I think the WOT TPS voltage is supposed to be 4.5, mine is 4.1 but I don't think that is the problem since it ripped last year with a value of 3.96

Last edited by PCBliss; 05-22-2018 at 12:04 PM.
post #9 of 30 Old 05-22-2018, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks. I could load a zero map on the PCV, but it will be good to disconnect and re-seat the connectors anyway to rule that out.

I will start digging into it a little tonight when I get home from work.

I will check the airbox first though. Funny thing- I put my stock muffler back on this spring to go get an inspection, and when I started the bike, pink insulation (and a lot of it) shot out. So obviously there were some critters living near the bike and brought the insulation into the muffler (which was sitting on a shelf above the bike all winter).
post #10 of 30 Old 05-22-2018, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
I found a bird nest in my airbox that covered about 40% of my filter. Did not cause any of the issues you are experiencing. The stuttering is either fuel or ignition. Disconnect the PCV, if that doesn't work I would drain your fuel and put some fresh premium fuel in with a little injector cleaner.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page