93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 234 Old 09-12-2018, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Snatchy Throttle Issue Fixed

I experienced some issues with the throttle as most owners have done, however I've not reflashed the ECU as yet but took a bit of time to check and set up the Throttle position sensor and adjust the throttle cables properly at the lower end (Throttle Body End). It has made a huge difference to the riding experience at small throttle openings in towns and in traffic, so much smoother now.
LEAVEITSTOCK and frog4aday like this.

4 wheels move the body, but 2 wheels move the soul.

1982 Honda CB750 BOL D'OR
2017 Kawasaki GTR 1400
2017 Suzuki GSX S1000
post #2 of 234 Old 09-12-2018, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Garage
Wish everyone would check these things before spending $$$. Me included. But it was money well spent anyway.

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
post #3 of 234 Old 09-13-2018, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
My TPS is off for sure, but I haven't taken her apart yet to make the adjustment. It's been too hot in my garage. Ok, actually I've been lazy and I need to order the wire harness thingy tool. I'll get to it soon. I'm curious to see if it cures that dang flat spot between 4000-6000 rpm.

2016 Red/Black GSX-S1000F.

2015 BMW 1200GS

post #4 of 234 Old 09-13-2018, 02:14 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromer View Post
My TPS is off for sure, but I haven't taken her apart yet to make the adjustment. It's been too hot in my garage. Ok, actually I've been lazy and I need to order the wire harness thingy tool. I'll get to it soon. I'm curious to see if it cures that dang flat spot between 4000-6000 rpm.
It won't cure the flat spot - all 4 stroke high performance engines have a flat spot at half of peak power revs (10,500 rpm Peak Power, 5,250 rpm flat spot), often made worse by the manufacturer exhaust design to keep noise down around 5000 rpm (where a lot of noise testing is done) - The exhaust valve helps this by closing more around 5000rpm at higher throttle openings

The only way to cure the flat spot completely is with a new exhaust designed to enhance the torque around 5000rpm overcoming the engines natural flatspot, this means losing the exhaust valve (or tuning it in the reflash) and designing the length and diameter of primaries/secondaries to boost the torque in this area

This is one of the more dramatic dyno curves I have seen showing the flat spot (not really a flat spot, more of a huge hole)

Last edited by PhuketPaul; 09-13-2018 at 02:21 AM.
post #5 of 234 Old 09-13-2018, 02:21 AM

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Thanks Paul, good to know. I have a full M4 exhaust system on the bike now. Its not tuned though as the Martin people say it is not necessary. I suppose it couldn't hurt though.

2016 Red/Black GSX-S1000F.

2015 BMW 1200GS
post #6 of 234 Old 09-13-2018, 06:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Oh Paul,
It simply is NOT true that there is a hole.
How to do I know?

When the Yamaha R1 first came out back when (1998), an interview in a magazine with the Head Designer said 'Yamaha did this dip deliberately for the "Riders pleasure"'. This is my memory from that time:

"As the R1 would be greeted with enthusiastic desire from a wide cross section of Motorcyclists, the less experienced would enjoy the first rise up the graph then know that the power will deliberately go down and be then know the safe band of revs to ride in".
The more experienced Riders would be able to enjoy a greater second surge from 5000 to the red line".

Done with clever engineering in mind for all Riders to enjoy their new R1 experience

What a load of crock indeed, said with a straight face presumably.

Rob.
post #7 of 234 Old 01-06-2019, 05:19 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlfencing View Post
Hi. can you talk me though how to set up the Throttle position sensor and adjust the throttle cables properly at the lower end (Throttle Body End)🏍🔧
For the TPS

frog4aday likes this.
post #8 of 234 Old 01-21-2019, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I've read a lot about the TPS adjustment so conceptionally I'm comfortable with that. I do have 1 question though. What does Suzuki say in their manuals for the recommended TPS setting? Would they say _C00 or -C00? The reason I ask is that I've yet to take delivery of my bike and I could ask them to inspect and adjust the TPS setting to -C00 but they may reply that _C00 is the recommended setting. All in all not a big deal either way, just wondering.

Peter
post #9 of 234 Old 01-21-2019, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernVA View Post
I've read a lot about the TPS adjustment so conceptionally I'm comfortable with that. I do have 1 question though. What does Suzuki say in their manuals for the recommended TPS setting? Would they say _C00 or -C00? The reason I ask is that I've yet to take delivery of my bike and I could ask them to inspect and adjust the TPS setting to -C00 but they may reply that _C00 is the recommended setting. All in all not a big deal either way, just wondering.

Peter
If yours is an 18 model, it won't have the - just C00. Mine is an 18 model year, and the throttle snatch wasn't an issue. I checked the tps Voltagw and was way under the recommended range of 1.10-1.14, at 1.06. PhuketPaul says the best seems to be at 1.13, which i believe him. I set mine to 1.13 but it changed to 1.11V when tightening it back up. Either way, when the snatch wasn't an issue before (I did it just for peace of mind) it's still so much smoother.

To do it that way you'd need a Suzuki or Kawasaki breakout lead. But it's worth riding the bike first to see how she is, if you feel you need it.
post #10 of 234 Old 01-21-2019, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Thanks for the answer. Mine is an 18 model. Maybe I'll get the breakout lead; I have a nice Fluke multimeter that I'm always itching to use. Anybody have a part # on the breakout lead?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page