2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 11-04-2018, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
CHEEZY ignition barrel on my 2016 F

My leftover 2016 has less than 4k miles on it. Had some problems with the key turning in the ignition about 3 weeks ago. Put some WD-40 in the barrel and all was well UNTIL I made a trip to my local dealer to pick up an oil filter last week. On the way home about three miles out I stopped for a burger and when I went to start the bike to continue home the key wouldn't turn. I tried it in the seat lock and no problem. Fortunately I have AAA platinum motorcycle coverage and they came and gently trailered my bike back to the dealer. It's under warranty so no problem but something like that should have never happened! My dealer said they changed the ignition barrel in 2016. Anyone else experienced the same thing?
post #2 of 13 Old 11-04-2018, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Garage
I've had mine stick and took a lot of fiddling to get it to turn. I put some

in it and it hasn't had an issue since. (fingers crossed).
post #3 of 13 Old 11-04-2018, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
On my 16 F model. About a year ago the ignition key switch began to feel kinda unnaturally notchy. And I noticed that the key had some sort of dark gunk in its groves. I began wiping off the key to completely clean it. After several "cleanings" of the key I have not noticed the notchiness. I haven't sprayed any thing in there as it seems that whatever was in there was the problem.

post #4 of 13 Old 11-04-2018, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz1234 View Post
My leftover 2016 has less than 4k miles on it. Had some problems with the key turning in the ignition about 3 weeks ago. Put some WD-40 in the barrel and all was well UNTIL I made a trip to my local dealer to pick up an oil filter last week. On the way home about three miles out I stopped for a burger and when I went to start the bike to continue home the key wouldn't turn. I tried it in the seat lock and no problem. Fortunately I have AAA platinum motorcycle coverage and they came and gently trailered my bike back to the dealer. It's under warranty so no problem but something like that should have never happened! My dealer said they changed the ignition barrel in 2016. Anyone else experienced the same thing?
Yep! I think the graphite grease they used in the barrel is too thick for the colder weather and it clogs the barrel. I few good liberal spays with WD40 flushed mine out and I've not had a problem since.

Pull my finger
post #5 of 13 Old 11-04-2018, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
Yep! I think the graphite grease they used in the barrel is too thick for the colder weather and it clogs the barrel. I few good liberal spays with WD40 flushed mine out and I've not had a problem since.
Don't think its anything to do with the colder weather as I used to have this problem and it rarely drops below 30C here
post #6 of 13 Old 11-04-2018, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Try applying a little forward pressure on the key (toward the clocks), never had a problem on the GSXS but it was fairly common on older Suzuki's.

Red & Black GSX S1000 AL8
post #7 of 13 Old 11-05-2018, 03:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
ye i had problems with mine a couple of times,took it back to the dealer and there old best mechanic they had told me what he did and what to do if it ever does it again as i had tried everything myself and nothing cured it,he washed it out with wd40 and then used gt85 and since then it has never done it again , and that was a year ago , he said people use wd40 and other stuff for locks and it just gunks it up inside the barrel i just put a tiny squirt of gt85 every few months
post #8 of 13 Old 11-05-2018, 05:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz1234 View Post
Yes, I had the same issue and after it happened 5 or so times the dealer replaced the lock set under warranty but they tried to tell me that I had bent the key and told me to use the spare which didn't make a difference and then on another occasion they used some lubricating spray. They just didn't want to fix the issue and were hoping it would just go away. I put up with the issue until i was just around the corner from them and the problem happened so i rang and the workshop guy came but couldn't get the key to turn for about 15 minutes. Then they replaced the lock set for me. No more issues!
post #9 of 13 Old 11-05-2018, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
The barrel is assembled and a graphite paste applied to prevent wear of the tumblers, as time goes by the carrier oil that the graphite is blended into dries out causing the lock to become difficult to use, a regular squirt of WD40 or similar prevents the graphite from drying out.

4 wheels move the body, but 2 wheels move the soul.

1982 Honda CB750 BOL D'OR
2017 Kawasaki GTR 1400
2017 Suzuki GSX S1000
post #10 of 13 Old 11-05-2018, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhuketPaul View Post
Don't think its anything to do with the colder weather as I used to have this problem and it rarely drops below 30C here

Interesting
Maybe the grease is just too heavy/ sticky.
Mine was definitely worse in the colder weather. The key feature here appears to be a lighter lube is the key( no pun intended) well, maybe a little

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pull my finger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page