43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 11-16-2018, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Is the s1000 a good buy?

I have been seriously considering buying an s1000f but after reading all the issues with the snatchy throttle, flat spot in the 5000 rpm range, etc., and all the after market add-ons and adjustments that need to be made to overcome the problem, I'm sure I want to buy one. I know most of you are diehard Suzuki owners and I don't mean to offend anyone, but are the problems with these bikes as bad as they seem? Are there as many problems with say the Triumph Street Triple, Yamaha naked 1000, or the Ninja 1000?
post #2 of 42 Old 11-16-2018, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
All I did was have my ecu flashed, no more throttle issue. Along with many others, I have the naked, not faired bike but same engine, same everything. like 200 dollars done deal. worth it. unlocks some other features as well though. Did mine with 4 miles on my bike, I disliked the throttle from the test ride, but I knew it would be fixed, and it was with the flash.

You should decide though if you buy the bike and decide to get a flash if you are going to do changes like an exhaust, full or slip on, catted, or decat, as the person will flash it to those specifications in mind.

I personally used danos perf. theres other options, or you can pay for a woolwich kit and do it yourself. Im lazy, and would rather someone do it that knows what they are doing. turned out great for me and several others here

bottom of page.
https://www.danosperformance.com/ECU%20Flashing.htm

theres a member here Phuket Paul put together a info site for gsxs owners.
https://gsx-s.info

Last edited by FreedomPenguin; 11-16-2018 at 06:09 PM.
post #3 of 42 Old 11-16-2018, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Agree with FP. I used Dano's also and he sorted any issues out for $190. I'm not a die hard Suzuki fan but it is a sweet ride. I sold my FZ-09 after three years and the throttle on that was way worse than the S1000. I also own a 2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 and there a no throttle issues. Don't know about Kawasaki. My GXS is so smooth to shift and to ride now it never ceases to amaze me.

post #4 of 42 Old 11-16-2018, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
im all stock, enjoy every ride on this machine...smooth fast and quick and ride all day long....every forum honda kawasaki yamaha all talk about problems,,,,if you keep reading about all the so called problems ,,you wont buy any machine ....if you buy another make and get a chance to run against a gsxs....you will be wondering where the flat spot is everyone talks about...it will eat you for lunch......bike is a blast and is king of its class in stock form.....
mike d, frog4aday and Kernow like this.
post #5 of 42 Old 11-16-2018, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Garage
I think these bikes are fantastic completely stock. I didn't have any snatchy throttle. The flat spot? meh... most bikes have a dip in the torque curve or loose it on one end or the other. It definitely can not even be considered "a problem" in my estimation. You can worry about those things and spend a buttload of money "fixing" them, or do what @LEAVEITSTOCK and I do. Ride and enjoy.
post #6 of 42 Old 11-16-2018, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Garage
I agree with the others who have posted, these are awesome bikes as stock, yes they can be made better (or personalised depending on your viewpoint) like any other bike.

I don't think there is any bike available that I wouldn't want to modify to suit me.

Look at any forum on any bike and its mostly about problems, issues or modifications - there is only so many times you can write about how good your bike is.....

If I was to buy another bike today I don't think there is another bike available that I would prefer to the GSXS1000F (Well maybe the Kawasaki H2 SX SE+ if it could lose 50Kg)
post #7 of 42 Old 11-17-2018, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAVEITSTOCK View Post
.you will be wondering where the flat spot is everyone talks about...it will eat you for lunch......bike is a blast and is king of its class in stock form.....
Trust me, I have a very pronounced flat spot between 5-7,000 rpm. You may not have it but others do. When accelerating hard, once I pass about 7,000, it's like another cylinder kicks in. You can get it smoothed out like others have said through a flash and I plan to do that soon. In the mean time, I just try to keep it about 7,000!!

Still an awesome bike. So awesome in fact, I sold my 2016 and regretted it terribly. Eight months later I bough another.

Ron
LEAVEITSTOCK likes this.

2016 Red/Black GSX-S1000F.

2015 BMW 1200GS
post #8 of 42 Old 11-17-2018, 12:17 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Garage
It's a terrible buy. But, thanks to people who put too much stock in what they read, these bikes languish in the showrooms allowing folks like myself to snatch up a fantastic bike for a steal of a deal.

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Family Bikes: 2006 Honda CRF70F | 2005 Honda CRF230F
post #9 of 42 Old 11-17-2018, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromer View Post
Trust me, I have a very pronounced flat spot between 5-7,000 rpm. You may not have it but others do. When accelerating hard, once I pass about 7,000, it's like another cylinder kicks in. You can get it smoothed out like others have said through a flash and I plan to do that soon. In the mean time, I just try to keep it about 7,000!!

Still an awesome bike. So awesome in fact, I sold my 2016 and regretted it terribly. Eight months later I bough another.

Ron
Well maybe it's the altitude I'm at or just the variation from bike to bike but my bike does performs admirably. When people talk about torque "flat" is a desirable trait. The GXS has a slight dip between 4.5 and 6.5 K , and if I try really hard, I notice it. Keep in mind, I'm not a track guy, but I've ridden a lot of road bikes and it just seems like a non-issue to me. There are plenty of torque/power graphs out there for every bike made, so anyone can see for themselves, compare, and judge.
oldjackbob likes this.
post #10 of 42 Old 11-17-2018, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Having wrestled to turn mine from a pig to a stallion, I would say till Suzuki wake up and sort out a decent rear suspension and the snatchy throttle saga, maybe follow the defectors and get the BMW naked or the Yamaha MT10 SP; the latter is a bargain for what you get. One day, Suzuki will fix this bike, but until then, it is like marrying a bitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page