• 1 Post By PhuketPaul

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 12-01-2018, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Beast mode?

I have a 2016 naked. I have noticed that there are certain times that the exhaust note is deeper and more burly than other times, and it sounds like a beast. Like, especially 3.5-7k rpms open throttle it sounds freakin mean. Other times in similar riding conditions it just sounds more high pitched and less loud... More buzzy and electric almost.

i thought I noticed a trend of the better sound occuring shortly after warm up and when it is cold, however this isn't always the case. I actually got a booster plug as an experiment, wondering if the lower temps actually increased feuling which payed some role, but I haven't noticed much difference in this regard with the change.

2016 naked. Only engine mods are booster plug, k&n filter, removed intake baffle, optimized TPS, iridium plugs, and regular maintenance.

It doesn't really appear to affect performance. Mostly sound and feeling.

Had anyone else noticed this? And any ideas what may be going on?
post #2 of 4 Old 12-01-2018, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
The GSX-S1000 has one of the louder intake/exhaust sounds of any OEM bike I've had yet. I would suspect your 'removed intake baffle' is playing a role in the sound you hear. We have intake noise and exhaust noise, and when we are on the bike letting her rip, it is often hard to differentiate where the sound is actually coming from. There is also a valve in the exhaust itself that opens and closes at different times (mostly rpm related, I suspect) and that could be a contributor, too.
Michael
post #3 of 4 Old 12-01-2018, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Frog4aday, the change in sound has been happening both before and after I did any modifications to the bike, and i continue to notice it currently. I have definitely thought it could be a result of the exhaust valve... Interested to see if anyone has noticed what I'm talking about and found a difference after changing exhaust.

Last edited by trasher; 12-02-2018 at 03:21 AM.

post #4 of 4 Old 12-01-2018, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog4aday View Post
The GSX-S1000 has one of the louder intake/exhaust sounds of any OEM bike I've had yet. I would suspect your 'removed intake baffle' is playing a role in the sound you hear. We have intake noise and exhaust noise, and when we are on the bike letting her rip, it is often hard to differentiate where the sound is actually coming from. There is also a valve in the exhaust itself that opens and closes at different times (mostly rpm related, I suspect) and that could be a contributor, too.
Michael
It may depend on what gear you are in.

The exhaust noise is changed by the exhaust valve - I believe its only for noise regs, the maps don't seem to relate to torque in any way

Gears N,1 & 2 The exhaust valve is fully open or nearly fully open most of the time

Gear 3, Only 12% open at full throttle until 4800 rpm (exhaust valve open more at lower throttle openings

Gear 4, Similar to gear 3 but slightly more opening

Gears 5 & 6 Opening more quickly than gears 3 and 4

And of course the Secondary throttle plates are controlled by the ECU for gear, TP and RPM too

Can post the maps if anyone is interested
BKing111 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page