GSXS 1000 Forum banner

Gear position indicator

10K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  LEEVR 
#1 ·
Anyone have issues with the gear position indicator showing an incorrect gear? Mine has been acting up, showed 5th today while in 3rd. Seems only when cold, could it just be crudded up? Looks like the sensor must be behind the cover.

#2 ·
Clean it. I had this happen on 2 of my gsxr's. Just unclipped it, and cleaned it if I recall. If that doesn't fix it, get a new cord, OR. you could adjust your shifter some, it may be really close between gears or something? I remember reading about that but I didn't adjust mine to end up fixing it. Something about it being real close together and being borderline wrong.

I'd wait til its warm though see if that has any bearing before I go and mess with it.

#3 · (Edited)
Anyone have issues with the gear position indicator showing an incorrect gear? Mine has been acting up, showed 5th today while in 3rd. Seems only when cold, could it just be crudded up? Looks like the sensor must be behind the cover.
I've had this on my GSXS (Its a fairly common fault)

First time I cleaned it and it helped but only for a few months, next time I replaced it and its fine now.

I've started a write up on it here https://gsx-s.info/suzuki-gear-position-sensor/ not much writing yet but plenty of pictures

It is behind the sprocket cover, just need to release the clutch cable to remove the cover - GPS comes off very easy but a little fiddly to replace if you have big hands like me - just takes a bit of practice

Part No. is 37730-41G02

Position of Gear position selector (before cleaning all the crap behind cover)

Old vs new *new one does not come with O-rig so reuse the old one

#5 ·
Had my gear position sensor replaced under warranty, dealership mechanic said it was the worst he'd seen. Would take off in first then suddenly dash would show 5th then 3rd etc. I assume the ecu knows what gear your in from the sensor so it would be changing maps and was causing some rough running issues. All good after sensor was changed.

#10 ·
Mine's gone all weird since riding in the cold weather a few times. It's the same part from the 2006-2010 GSX-R1000, lots of people reporting it's gone wrong, but barely anyone saying giving it a clean sorted it permanently for them.

£105 from fowlers stings a bit though!

Reactions: Gixis1k
#11 ·
I've just bought a new sensor from Robinsons Foundry Suzuki parts. £86 delivered. I use the bike as a commuter and the gear display has Been steadily getting worse. Thought about cleaning it, but as others have said may work for a while then it'll have to be changed anyway. Simple to change, do might as well. I'm surprised it goes wrong as its sealed inside the block. The exposed rear face has a white silicone covering and the wires all look in good condition. Has been -10 degrees C here recently and very wet. Here's hoping I don't have to change it again anytime soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.