LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 04-06-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Can't install Dunlop Roadsmart 3 190/55 rear tire

Hello,

Owner of a GSX-S1000 2016. I watched tons of videos at this point and I swear these people install their rear tires with not much effort. In my case I feel like I'm gonna rip the tire off.
Still have a big portion of tire to fit in and does not seem that the tire no way is gonna fit or stretch more. I'm afraid of damaging the tire at this point. I tried warming up the tire and use windex on the sidewalls.

Any one had issues installing 190/55 tires or more specifically Dunlop Roadsmart 3?

Please help!

thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190406_114958.jpg (260.8 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by shadow338; 04-06-2019 at 01:43 PM.
post #2 of 15 Old 04-06-2019, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
I always bring the tire or the bike to the dealer. I have never mounted a tire but i do know that windex evaporates pretty quick. Personally I'd probably put some WD40 on a rag and go around the lip of wheel and tire.

BTW, I have the RS 3's front and back. You are going to love them. Super grippy even on wet pavement, I have 3k on my back tire and it has worn maybe 2mm in the center of the tire. Still plenty of tread left. I am lucky to get 4-5k out of my previous rear tires....on any of the bikes i owned. This one should easily surpass that. Handling is super stable, but even with the 190/55 its a wee bit lazy on turn in but better than the stocker. That doesn't bother me you just learn to turn in a little sooner to compensate. I have the bike up to 135 mph and no high speed issues to report. High speed stability is rock solid. Good luck!
oldjackbob likes this.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-06-2019, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
You really want some proper tyre soap , maybe get someone to help push the bead that’s on already right down into the well of the rim .
I have to say I think your brave tackling that with levers , I know lots do it but I just pay the tyre shop to put it on thier machine and balance it these days . Good luck

post #4 of 15 Old 04-06-2019, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I too go to the dealer for tire mounting. The few times I tried it in the past it seemed to take ridiculous amounts of force to make it work and I was always marring the rims. Obviously with practice I could get better at it but I do so much DIY already I don't mind leaving that one for the pros.

Last edited by NorthernVA; 04-06-2019 at 06:24 PM.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-06-2019, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
You really have to push (I mean shove) the portion of the bead that's already inside the rim (the portion that's below the bottom of the view in the picture) far, far down into the hollow of the wheel, to give you the most slack to enable you to curl the rest of the bead (the portion at the top of the picture) over the rim. You're not ever gonna be able to do it if the bead at the bottom of the picture is anywhere near seated around the lip of the rim.

The pros always mash the tire bead far down into the wheel before trying to curl the other side over the lip of the rim.
Kernow likes this.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-06-2019, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
thanks all for the tips. I'm gonna give another go tomorrow and report here.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-06-2019, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
I admire you for DIY, but so much easier to have someone else do it. Someone else with a tire mounting machine. I take mine to a regular car tire place, no problem to remove and install a motorcycle tire. I run a 190/55.
post #8 of 15 Old 04-06-2019, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I go the DIY route as well, and find it difficult on our bike too. I feel that the rear wheel is too shallow to pull the tire to the center, which makes it really tight to push the last edge into the rim. I know this because I did a BMW S1000r before mine and remember how easy it went on that bike. I find that putting the new tire in the sun a few hours before installing + soap water to be key for an easy install. Worst case, take the rim + tire to a shop for install. All the best.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-06-2019, 09:39 PM

Garage
Instead of windex, try dish soap mixed with water (a little heavy on the soap). I usually put it on the bead of the tire as well as the rim and you definitely want to leave the tire out in the sun. As someone else pointed out, you need to push the bead of the tire that is on the rim down towards the middle of the rim, this will give you a little extra wiggle room to help finishing getting the tire over the edge of the rim.

I also change my own tires, but I use the tire machine at work.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-07-2019, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow338 View Post
Hello,

Owner of a GSX-S1000 2016. I watched tons of videos at this point and I swear these people install their rear tires with not much effort. In my case I feel like I'm gonna rip the tire off.
Still have a big portion of tire to fit in and does not seem that the tire no way is gonna fit or stretch more. I'm afraid of damaging the tire at this point. I tried warming up the tire and use windex on the sidewalls.

Any one had issues installing 190/55 tires or more specifically Dunlop Roadsmart 3?

Please help!

thanks.
First Try some soapy water instead of Wendex Dawn or something of that nature. Second, find yourself some hardwood that is half-inch thick roughly 3 inches to 4 inches wide and cut it 3 to 4 inches long so you have a 3 x 3 or 4 x 4 square of wood. After you get this first part of the bead into the drop center you can put those blocks of wood between the inside lip of the ram and the bead of the tire this will assist the tire dropping into the center of the rim while you’re pulling the tire over on the other side of the ram make sure you take small bites.
If need be get on YouTube and watch how they mount tires on a No-Mar tire machine with spoon bars.

Kevin Reinhold
AKA Dragunslayer
2016 GSX-S1000F ABS
St. Louis Mo. Area
“An APEX is a terrible thing to Waste!!!!”

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page