• 1 Post By BKing111
  • 1 Post By Triz-man

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-03-2019, 02:45 PM
BKing111

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Axle nut it's cutting shavings off the axle.

All right gentlemen have any of you experienced this before? I had to replace my axle and nut because the torque wrench was over reading by about 30 lb and it galled the axel really bad. So now I have a different problem with the new axle nut as I tighten and or loosen the nut it's cutting fine shavings off of the threads of the axle as you can see in these pics. Does it have something to do with those two Wing thingies on the face of the nut. What are those on there for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190503_134057_HDR.jpg (165.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 20190503_134332_HDR.jpg (138.8 KB, 38 views)
post #2 of 7 Old 05-03-2019, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
The winged thingies are the 'anti movement' locks. They dig in a small amount into the threads to stop the nut vibrating loose.

Actually, I was surprised that they are used in this place as I thought that that this type of nut was a one use device and be replaced as a consumerable item.
That's what Suzuki say for the top bolt's nut for the rear shock absorber. One US site quoted $18 for the axle nut and $68 for the axle itself.

I would think that you now need a new axle as well, as the shavings are coming from movement between the new nut and axle which now has more clearance than before over tightening it.
I am a GSX-S750 owner now, so I checked it's Owner Manual and Suzuki have increased the torque up from the years old 72 ft lbs to 83 on this one, and it's got the same sort of nut on it's axle.
So what's the 1000 got now as a recommendation? Did you get some fresh grease on the axle thread ? I do this, and to the threaded end.

Rob.
BKing111 likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-08-2019, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Normal, if really concerned add a little anti-seize to the threads and that'll stop it.

2016 GSX-S1000

post #4 of 7 Old 05-08-2019, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Garage
According to the shop manual,the nut is a consumable part.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-08-2019, 12:49 PM
BKing111

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
So the nut that you must loosen and tighten over and over again to adjust the chain and or remove the wheel for service is a consumable item. That's just crazy. Tell you what I'm going to do I'm going to find me a nut that will fit it without that **** locking Gizmo on it. Then I'll just torque it down a few more pounds to be on the safe side better yet I'll just drill it and safety wire it. LOL
Triz-man likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-09-2019, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slower and Slower View Post
The winged thingies are the 'anti movement' locks. They dig in a small amount into the threads to stop the nut vibrating loose.

Actually, I was surprised that they are used in this place as I thought that that this type of nut was a one use device and be replaced as a consumerable item.
That's what Suzuki say for the top bolt's nut for the rear shock absorber. One US site quoted $18 for the axle nut and $68 for the axle itself.

I would think that you now need a new axle as well, as the shavings are coming from movement between the new nut and axle which now has more clearance than before over tightening it.
I am a GSX-S750 owner now, so I checked it's Owner Manual and Suzuki have increased the torque up from the years old 72 ft lbs to 83 on this one, and it's got the same sort of nut on it's axle.
So what's the 1000 got now as a recommendation? Did you get some fresh grease on the axle thread ? I do this, and to the threaded end.

Rob.

The 1000 calls for 72.5lbs I wonder why the 750 wants more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BKing111 likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-09-2019, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Here a pic from the 750's Owner Manual. I don't think it's a typo as the quoted settings are both higher.
The diameter of the axle shaft is different, with the nut size's of the 1000 being 36 mm and the 750 has a 32mm (as per PhuketPauls' Wikipedia of all things GSX-S site).

More torque need with with the decrease of the binding surface area between axle thread and nut ?

Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GSX-S750 Axle Torque.jpg (214.6 KB, 9 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page